Author Topic: 2008 Post of the Year  (Read 3365 times)

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
2008 Post of the Year
« on: December 03, 2008, 05:54:30 PM »
As we come to the end of our 7th year posting in this community, I think it's time to start recognizing those singular, influential posts that change the board for better in a fundamental way. I also propose that we have a similar award for the best thread. Perhaps we can gather nominations and have a final vote using the poll function.

My nominee is...

http://forums.phillyarena.net/index.php?topic=4498.msg40570#msg40570

Actually, I would be rather surprised -- even astonished if a words in a post could really make you quite believing in your team.

Give Lurker credit for not running away when times get tough for his team, only to come back hours after his team was the recipient of the biggest gift in decades.  Somebody else did that, can't remember who?

Shows amazing devotion.

Point well taken -- but it wasn't Lurker who ran me off the board.  It was the idiocracy of Reality -- I just got really tired of it.  It amazes me that everyone wants to hold others to task with the exception of Reality -- he seems to get a blank check with the exception of Laker fans.  I will say that the day the board said they didn't want me here, would be my last day of posting. 

I actually wouldn't want to run Lurker off the board -- I have enjoyed trading barbs with him -- probably more than any other poster on this board.  It's kind of like the Lakers/Spurs competition -- I enjoy watching them -- of course, I enjoy it more when the Lakers win than when they lose.

I don't want you here!

Simple. Beautiful. Effective.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 05:56:09 PM by Ted »
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2008 Post of the Year
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 06:41:42 PM »
I'm too lazy to go back and READ.......that's right, I said it. ;)
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 12:53:19 AM »

Shut the F up you dumb Texan, you can't even read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 09:25:41 AM »

Shut the F up you dumb Texan, you can't even read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But at least we can write coherently...and spell!

;)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 09:30:04 AM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 09:42:19 AM »
I nominate a very recent post:

http://forums.phillyarena.net/index.php?topic=5118.0

OK WK, you don't like Brandon Roy, we get it.

But like the long lost Randy you seem to be afflicted with, "I going to make things up and then argue them as statements of fact", so please show me where exactly it is that I said that.
1) Saying he's not in the same category as LeBron and Kobe isn't "not liking" someone.
2) Byron Scott said that he's in the same category as LeBron and Kobe.  You said "maybe Byron Scott's ahead of the curve" in reference to this statement.  Ergo, you're arguing (or at least supporting) that Roy is in the same category as LeBron and Kobe.

I can't see how wk is out of line on this one.

I also said that "maybe Byron Scott is losing it", so it seems to me that I didn't take a position one way or the other.  Derek if you can't see that, then maybe you are not as smart as I give you credit for.  I took this post as an attempt to get into a pissing match, and I had no interest in getting into a pissing match.  So I just threw a bunch of stuff out there, and left it that.

As far as point #1, so what only westkoast is able to blow off someones point with a similar post?  Let me know if there are any other rules I need to be aware of.

Had ziggy waited till the 7th it would have been the perfect Pearl Harbor like sneak attack, still...it was very much shock and awe...
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 03:09:45 AM »
http://forums.phillyarena.net/index.php?topic=5145.msg55444#msg55444
Not to metion that the POINT you made was the Lakers "bought" players.

WOW, you are not a child. 

A team doesn't have to outright "buy", "sign to a contract", "monetarily gain", or outright "steal" any player in plain view of the public at large or the media to have considered "BUYING THE PLAYER".  Since no one here knows about the under-the-table handshakes, shady incentives, or late night conversations between owners and executives and how across 5 decades, cycle after cycle, decade after decade the Lakers mysteriously come up with whoppers like Gasol vs. Kwame.

Its the all-encompassing, celestial, GOD-LIKE Intelligence and foresight of Laker Front Office employess since NBA time immemorial!!!

PUH-LEAZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 11:14:47 AM »
Reality epic fail.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 11:38:55 PM »
http://forums.phillyarena.net/index.php?topic=5145.msg55444#msg55444
Not to metion that the POINT you made was the Lakers "bought" players.

WOW, you are not a child. 

A team doesn't have to outright "buy", "sign to a contract", "monetarily gain", or outright "steal" any player in plain view of the public at large or the media to have considered "BUYING THE PLAYER".  Since no one here knows about the under-the-table handshakes, shady incentives, or late night conversations between owners and executives and how across 5 decades, cycle after cycle, decade after decade the Lakers mysteriously come up with whoppers like Gasol vs. Kwame.

Its the all-encompassing, celestial, GOD-LIKE Intelligence and foresight of Laker Front Office employess since NBA time immemorial!!!

PUH-LEAZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Reality = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id3nik5Rldw

Did I "metion"

Reality =
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 08:49:47 PM »
Skandery,
So powerful was your post, it insired WayOutWest to quote an article which said in part:
In other words -- and this should be obvious -- when we watch Kobe play, we're seeing a far lesser version of Michael Jordan in action. Similar in style and mannerism, maybe, but when we translate the statistics for era, it becomes very clear that Jordan was actually the one "playing chess" while Bryant "plays checkers."

And then further inspired WayOutWest himself to say:

I don't think you need to be a match genius to know MJ was better than Kobe.  IMO Kobe is a more versatile scorer but MJ was more effective.  Same as the Kareem vs Walton UCLA argument, Walton was clearly more versatile in every basketball skill but Kareem was more effective because of his length and the "skyhook".  IMO neither guy could guard the other in plain old basketball but MJ was clearly the superior NBA player.
To wit Ziggy posted:  Holy crap did you all feel that sharp jerk where you are???  I think the earth just stopped turning on its axis.

No Skander, you did not stop the earth from spinning on its axis, but its that kind of Krishna deprogramming work -however short the patients progress- that does not go unnoticed.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 11:49:32 PM »
Skandery,
So powerful was your post, it insired WayOutWest to quote an article which said in part:
In other words -- and this should be obvious -- when we watch Kobe play, we're seeing a far lesser version of Michael Jordan in action. Similar in style and mannerism, maybe, but when we translate the statistics for era, it becomes very clear that Jordan was actually the one "playing chess" while Bryant "plays checkers."

And then further inspired WayOutWest himself to say:

I don't think you need to be a match genius to know MJ was better than Kobe.  IMO Kobe is a more versatile scorer but MJ was more effective.  Same as the Kareem vs Walton UCLA argument, Walton was clearly more versatile in every basketball skill but Kareem was more effective because of his length and the "skyhook".  IMO neither guy could guard the other in plain old basketball but MJ was clearly the superior NBA player.
To wit Ziggy posted:  Holy crap did you all feel that sharp jerk where you are???  I think the earth just stopped turning on its axis.

No Skander, you did not stop the earth from spinning on its axis, but its that kind of Krishna deprogramming work -however short the patients progress- that does not go unnoticed.

"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 11:51:44 AM »
Another nomination

I guess it's funny - not sure i find jokes that revolve around child abuse funny though

Making a mental note - jemagee is against child abuse. Good to know if ever asked.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil