Author Topic: Pointless Too Early Draft Discussion  (Read 1836 times)

jemagee

Pointless Too Early Draft Discussion
« on: November 28, 2008, 04:47:43 PM »
So it's probably too early to even think about it but what the hell

What do people think of jeremy pargo?

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pointless Too Early Draft Discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 11:22:16 PM »
I think he's not Stephen Curry

;D

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 11:35:14 PM »
I think we did a heck of a job picking up a budding superstar SF at 12 and  a very talented PF-C at 16.  Let's hope the draft magic stays consistent and we grab the next great PG this summer.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 11:42:22 PM »
I know its not an option, but I'm almost ready to trade away Brand for some more young pieces and then continue to build through the draft over the next 5 years...

Take away Miller, Sam and Brand and you still have a bunch of great peices under 25 and a good track record in the draft.  I still contend Thad will have to be the #1 offensive star, but he may still be years away from being able to lead a team.

As I said, I realize this is not an option, and Ed does not get to call for a do-over.  Even though he could eventually make the move all of his GM cred is based around the 160M he doled out to the Brand/Iguodala combo going forward.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 09:37:12 AM »
tk, you've turned into the king of overreaction lately.  What's up?

Brand's 29, has a game not based on athleticism, a great defender and rebounder, and fits into any scheme.  I'm not sure why you wouldn't try to get the right pieces around him and go for it.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 11:04:29 AM »
You are right in that I don't seriously think the team should move Brand.  I also don't think they would seriously consider moving Iguodala.  When you commit 160M you do everything to make it work.

I really enjoyed last years team.  I am less focussed on the end goal of a championship then I am on having a winning team that is fun to watch play and be built up from the ground.  I'm sure I'm not a typical fan.  I hate seeing the future mortgaged to try and win now (worked in Boston, failed for LB.)

I also think Brand and Iguodala are very good players.  Each could probably be one of the lead players on a contender (just not the headliner.)  On paper Ed did a fantastic job this summer- even if he overpaid a bit for Iguodala.  I suppose Iguodala and Brand can be the supporting stars on the same team, but I'm having a hard team picturing what that team looks like.  Iguodala is so reliant on being on a team that is unstructured, which probably doesn't maximize Brands abilities (and I concede you can run with Brand.)

I have been too quick to declare the whole Iguodala/Brand pairing a failure (I think I questioned it as early as the preseason.)  I expect this team to come around and be a decent playoff team by the end of the season- either playing for Mo or someone else.  I'm just still not seeing reason to expect that down the road this team is eventually headed to be the really entertaining contending team we all want to see.  I guess it could still happen if we get really lucky with the development of Thad, Lou and Speight.

What do you expect this team will look like when it all comes together (lets say with a new PG and Sam gone?)  Will they be like last years team but with a better half court game, or will they end up being a more convensional team but with a dominant defense that gets them on the break?

jemagee

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 11:21:36 AM »
The problem with trading Miller is that right now his trade value is probably close to the nadir of where it has ever been...it's too early just to dump his contract and his on court play is just pretty bad.

The reason I asked about pargo was that he seems a second round projection right now so might be worth a flier on when he enters the draft.

If coming together means a new PG and Sam - it's probably not until next season with a new coach so I'm not even going to guess :)