Author Topic: Blazers and Grizzlies are talking trade  (Read 1236 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Blazers and Grizzlies are talking trade
« on: November 29, 2008, 02:09:29 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AtaMAIZwTPZeUCEADWr3wIm8vLYF?slug=ys-conleyoutlaw112808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The guts are Mike Conley and Hakim Warrick for Sergio Rodriguez and Travis Outlaw.  Javaris Crittenton has also been discussed, but the deal doesn't work if he is included, unless Portland includes Ike Diogu (that could very well happen).

Travis made real nice progress the last 2 years, but he has totally stagnated.  I am convinced that Portland likes Martell Webster and Nicolas Batum much better as their SF rotation.  Webster just signed a 4 year 20 million deal, and Batum has been very impressive for a 19 year old, who played in Europe.  Outlaw has become very one dimensional.  He is almost automatic when taking a dribble or two, but he cannot catch and shoot with any consistency.  He is a mediocre rebounder, passer, shot blocker, and only a decent defender.  Something has to give between Webster and Outlaw, and I believe Outlaw is out, and that decision was made in Fall camp when Batum and Webster played well, and Outlaw could not beat either guy out to be the starter.

Rodriguez's European agent demanded a trade earlier this year, because of lack of playing time.  Sergio is at best an NBA backup, nothing more.  His playing time has increased lately, but I think that has been only to showcase him for a trade.  He has done OK at best.

Channing Frye has not done much.  When he started the last 5 games last year after Przybilla's injury he played well, but there is no place for him to play.  He is also a perimeter player, and we need some players who can score in the paint, and get to the line.  Diogu hasn't done anything, and Frye has more value elsewhere I believe, so Warrick could make some sense.  I haven't watched him all that much, but from what I recall he is more of of a points in the paint guy who gets to the FT line a lot more.  I would expect a trade involving Frye as well.  Of the 3 Warrick is paid the least.

As far as Conley at this point he is an upgrade over Rodriguez for sure.  Long term a PG rotation of Bayless and Conley looks pretty promising.  I know Randy though Crittenton was a stud, potential all-star (dripping with sarcasm), but he has done nothing so far.  He is a throw in.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

jemagee

Re: Blazers and Grizzlies are talking trade
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 03:01:31 PM »
A little tip for fans following trade rumors involving the Blazers: Don?t put too much stock into any report that doesn?t involve Raef LaFrentz?s contract. That was the message Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard sent on Friday as fresh trade rumors surfaced involving the team. The latest was generated by Yahoo.com, and centered around a swap of Portland small forward Travis Outlaw for Memphis point guard Mike Conley. Columbian

http://www.columbian.com/article/20081129/SPORTS01/711297290/-1/SPORTS

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 05:06:23 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AtaMAIZwTPZeUCEADWr3wIm8vLYF?slug=ys-conleyoutlaw112808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

As far as Conley at this point he is an upgrade over Rodriguez for sure.  Long term a PG rotation of Bayless and Conley looks pretty promising.  I know Randy though Crittenton was a stud, potential all-star (dripping with sarcasm), but he has done nothing so far.  He is a throw in.
Yes i remember Randolph and a few other Laker House members attempting to justify the collusion via Critterdons **all star** potential.  :D    "Warehouse."
zig will Conley experience some kind of energized rebirth alongside Oden?
For that matter what is your take on Oden so far?

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 12:22:16 AM »

Yes i remember Randolph and a few other Laker House members attempting to justify the collusion via Critterdons **all star** potential.  :D    "Warehouse."
zig will Conley experience some kind of energized rebirth alongside Oden?
For that matter what is your take on Oden so far?

Well besides the first game I have seen him play RS 3 games all year.  Portland has the worst local TV deal in the country, almost all of the league pass games are blacked out.  First he is a year removed from micro-fracture, which is one of the longest in terms of recovery, but once you get fully recovered it is better than typical ligament surgery.  Right now his lift is definitely affected, and he is too heavy, but he is improving over what he was in pre-season.  I would say he is a good two months from being close to normal.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil