Author Topic: Congratulations Phils  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Congratulations Phils
« on: October 30, 2008, 01:12:54 PM »
And way to wimp out Rays.  Altho a few games were certainly entertaining.

Guess we can toss best record in the league once again.
2006 St. Louis and now Philly in 2008.

So Phils posters, what keyed the last two months of the season and the playoff run?
Is anyone that called Charlie Manuel an idiot in April and May now apologizing?  Or do Philidelphians just not do that?

jemagee

Re: Congratulations Phils
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 01:19:22 PM »
I'd tell you to stick to basketball, but...

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 02:22:48 PM »
Guess we can toss best record in the league once again.
2006 St. Louis and now Philly in 2008.

I do hope you didn't just compare the 92 win, second best record in the NL Phillies to an 83 win, wild card Cardinals in terms of improbable runs.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 04:49:09 PM »
Okay i wont tell you i was mixing AL with NL thus had 100-96 mixed up with 87-90 (i thought the Cards had more like 86-87 and the Phils less like 89-90.)

I stand corrected.

But the point still seems to stand that the 96-100 game winners have not taken too many World Series the last 10 years.
Anyone want to run the stats?

I know a while back we were discussing which of the young pitchers would emerge into stardom.  Hammels certainly arrived.  But then he is from San Diego.  ;)

jemagee

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 04:52:47 PM »
Yawn

In the last 10 years in the NBA, the team with the best record has won the title only 3 times (celtics, lakers once and spurs once)

What's your point?

In the NFL the Patriots went 18-0 and lost the super bowl....if they played that game 100 times, how many times do you think the giants win versus the patriots?

The problem with 'playoffs' is that it's a shorter period of time and one team can get hot, or cold, at the right/wrong time and thus lose a short series.

Yes the cubs lost to the dodgers 3-0 but if it was july and the dodgers swept the cubs 3-0 no one would have cared.

YOu want to bring up 'useless' statistics we could talk about how the state of florida never lost a playoff series until the phils beat the rays - so take that

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 07:09:08 PM »
Hooray for the Phillies! Clearly the better team in the series.  A lot better than the Rays, who would not give up, but could not keep up.

And the team is built to be around for a while- as long as they can keep pace with their pitching, I see no reason why they can't be back in contention next season.  Rollins and Howards are studs, and so is Chase Utley. 

jemagee

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 07:34:11 PM »
And the team is built to be around for a while- as long as they can keep pace with their pitching, I see no reason why they can't be back in contention next season.  Rollins and Howards are studs, and so is Chase Utley.

1.  Moyer is a year older
2.  Blanton for a full season might not be as good as Blanton in the playoffs
3.  Bullpens are fungible year to year - no guarantee that ANYONE is as good as they were this year - lidge 4 year extension stupid
4.  No #5 pitcher
5.  Which Brett Myers shows up
6.  Who is playing left field
7.  Need an upgrade at 3rd and catcher (catcher is easy - 3rd not so much - felizitis must be banished from this team)
8.  Howard is no lock to be here as he will continue to contend he's worth a lot more money than the phils pay him (though I advocate trading him for a guy like matt cain and signing pat to play first base)

It's not 'lock' that the phils are contending even next year - there's a lot of work in this off season - and if amaro is in charge, i'm concerned.

Last year everyone talked about the rockies contending for a llong time - how did that work out?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 08:51:39 PM »
1. We said that last year.  I'm going to have to see Moyer actually decline before I pencil that in.
2. I agree
3. I agree, although I expected Romero to decline this year, and he was above average.  Madson has also been consistently above average (although not as good as the second half of this year) when he's been healthy out of the pen.
4. Carrasco and Happ fight that out.  I'd rather go into the season with them as my #5 than Eaton, so IMO we're ahead of last year.
5. Prior to last year (which was too small of a sample size, 3 starts), he was consistently solid.  Never as good as some expected him to be, but solid.
6.  If I had my way, Pat.  that is a question mark, although no more of a question mark than what we asked last year about right field.
7. True, but this was true last year as well.  The thought of a Ruiz/Marson rotation I'm fairly comfortable in.  3b will be a platoon again I think.
8. Howard will be here next year at the least.  It could be a little uncertain after that.  I don't like asking a 32 year old who's never played first to play first now.

Last year everyone talked about the rockies contending for a llong time - how did that work out?

spilborghs missed 73 games.  Holliday 23.  Hawpe 24.  Helton missed 79 games and wasn't near the same production he's been.   It's hard to achieve the previous years success when you get hit with the injuries like they did.  If our players miss that kind of time next year, I don't expect us to make the playoffs either.  The Rockies also didn't have the amount of sustained success (albeit not in the playoffs) we had (7 out of the last 8 years with 85+ wins).
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 08:58:29 PM by Derek Bodner »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 01:01:20 AM »
Ahem:

So Phils posters, what keyed the last two months of the season and the playoff run?
Is anyone that called Charlie Manuel an idiot in April and May now apologizing?  Or do Philidelphians just not do that?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 07:24:23 AM »
reality: you'll have to find someone who called him an idiot for them to answer that question.