Author Topic: Could Michael Phelps play NBA hoop if he wanted to?  (Read 7622 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Could Michael Phelps play NBA hoop if he wanted to?
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2008, 04:07:35 PM »
Um maybe because Michael Jordan is 6'7 and Deon is 6'1 ?  Think a larger strike zone has anything to do with it? 
No i think it has more to do with Michael Jordan was just hiding out for a couple years while he and Sternfish hoped his gambling problem could be whitewashed.

Hmmm kind of makes one wonder why being one of the most athletic people to ever play pro sports in this country (Jordan) wasn't automatically good at another sport.  Jordan has great hand eye coordination , speed, and has more mental toughness then any other athlete in recent history....yet he couldn't hang in baseball.  Things that make you go hmmm.....
Picturing you and WoW hmmmmnnning together is a visual I'm going to ignore.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2008, 04:41:25 PM »
Um maybe because Michael Jordan is 6'7 and Deon is 6'1 ?  Think a larger strike zone has anything to do with it? 
No i think it has more to do with Michael Jordan was just hiding out for a couple years while he and Sternfish hoped his gambling problem could be whitewashed.

So he couldn't hit a baseball because he liked to play cards in Vegas?

Sounds like your typical thought process....  Why answer a logical response with another logical response when you can just toss in random, unrelated bs?  It can't possibly be because he had a massive strike zone and he was a basketball player with a lot of athletic talent but it didn't translate into being a good baseball player.

Hmmm kind of makes one wonder why being one of the most athletic people to ever play pro sports in this country (Jordan) wasn't automatically good at another sport.  Jordan has great hand eye coordination , speed, and has more mental toughness then any other athlete in recent history....yet he couldn't hang in baseball.  Things that make you go hmmm.....
Picturing you and WoW hmmmmnnning together is a visual I'm going to ignore.

Instead you will replace it with a photoshopped picture of Kobe in front of you hmmmmming?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2008, 05:38:10 PM »

I think this pretty much sums up your contributions to discussions on this board.

YAWN
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2008, 01:59:25 PM »
I think if the Patriots had Usain Bolt as a running back on their team this year it wouldn't matter if Brady went down.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 02:01:46 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2008, 04:38:40 PM »

I think this pretty much sums up your contributions to discussions on this board.

YAWN
Thanks FRAN*
You've inspired another production.  "Shootin Fish in a Barrel" song.
But one of many...
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F0CE3D91731F93BA25754C0A965958260

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2008, 04:49:58 PM »

YAWN
Thanks FRAN*
You've inspired another production.  "Shootin Fish in a Barrel" song.
But one of many...
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F0CE3D91731F93BA25754C0A965958260

Y.A.W.N.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2008, 08:24:40 AM »
Here's the way I look at it:

How many world class athletes that are 6-4 make it to the NBA? 

The answer?  Not many.  In fact, darn few.

Based on that alone, the chance of ANYONE, be it Michael Phelps or Jason Kidd, making it to the NBA is remote at best.  Given that fact, when you ask about one particular one, the answer is always going to be the same:  not likely.  It is rare enough that a random BASKETBALL player makes it to the NBA.

In my mind, this question is pointless, since Phelps has shown no proficiency at basketball.  Whether he COULD or not isn't a question;  the fact remains that he HASN'T.

Which, of course, could make him a top level draft choice for Michael Jordan and the Bobcats.  (It's all about POTENTIAL, you know.)
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2008, 09:28:12 PM »
I don't consider Phelps to be bunched in with "world class atheletes", as relatively small a group as they may be.  He jumps to the top portion of the list with "How many people have won 14 Golds and 8 in one Oly by the age of 23?" 

Whether or not he would make it is pure speculation, the op never made it or implied anything but.  That it is a question that YOU consider pointless is, well Thought Police-ish at the least.  But you will find a rabidly willing vice presidential running mate in WoWlin.

As to it being all about POTENTIAL, well that is what many a draft pic is, esp late 1st and 2nd rounders on back.  Even hear of a guy named Joe Montana?  Think he was chosen for demonstrated ability or potential?  Manu GNob?  On and on.