Author Topic: thinking about putting linux on the kids computer  (Read 6019 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: thinking about putting linux on the kids computer
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2008, 02:48:35 PM »
Ubuntu seems simple and clean, but it also seems like it still needs some work, compared to the other two OS i burned to disk, it seems that Ubuntu still needs more help.  Knoppix and Sidux had more utilities available it seems.  And actually I still ended up switching back to XP for their computer - again.  Linux does not seem to support shockwave very well, even if you use swiftfox, or wine, the program runs choppy and sluggish.  I read online to see if it was strictly a hardware issue, from what I have read it is not a hardware issue - it seems a universal problem for most users that try to run shockwave/flash based games - which is what most of the games are that my kids use on the kid website sites they go to.  They are not at the age to really need to take advantage of open office or anything like that, so for now the computer is pretty much for entertainment to them.   It would be different if they played pc games because then i could run them in wine, but they play web based games - so wine doesn't help.  I will keep an eye out though to see if any updates come out to help with shockwave and linux.  What I should have done though was partition my hard drive for Linux and xp...I was just so tired from staying up working on it and reading up about it online that I just did another clean install...I will partition next time.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: thinking about putting linux on the kids computer
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2008, 03:52:26 PM »
Ubuntu seems simple and clean, but it also seems like it still needs some work, compared to the other two OS i burned to disk, it seems that Ubuntu still needs more help.  Knoppix and Sidux had more utilities available it seems.  And actually I still ended up switching back to XP for their computer - again.  Linux does not seem to support shockwave very well, even if you use swiftfox, or wine, the program runs choppy and sluggish.  I read online to see if it was strictly a hardware issue, from what I have read it is not a hardware issue - it seems a universal problem for most users that try to run shockwave/flash based games - which is what most of the games are that my kids use on the kid website sites they go to.  They are not at the age to really need to take advantage of open office or anything like that, so for now the computer is pretty much for entertainment to them.   It would be different if they played pc games because then i could run them in wine, but they play web based games - so wine doesn't help.  I will keep an eye out though to see if any updates come out to help with shockwave and linux.  What I should have done though was partition my hard drive for Linux and xp...I was just so tired from staying up working on it and reading up about it online that I just did another clean install...I will partition next time.

Thanks for the info, you saved me some work.  I guess I will shell out a few bucks for XP supported hardware for my Server PC.  Video and ethernet don't work and my kids are tired of using it as Win2000 PC and having a ton of "keeewl" stuff not work.  The PC is no slouch even by today's standards but it's got some proprietary hardware components. 

Again, thanks.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"