Author Topic: Jason Smith Injures Knee  (Read 10361 times)

Offline The Poster

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Jason Smith Injures Knee
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2008, 10:28:08 PM »
I never saw Smith as more than 3rd center, at best, with too many weaknesses and only one slightly above average skill, which was grossly over rated by those i thought who ignroed all his numerous weaknesses.

Like i said, more minutes for speights

Maybe a blessing in disguise the sixers can take advantage of (as opposed to willie green blowing out his knee)

This evaluation of Jason Smith is to much for most anyone to pass on. A 3rd C? At best? Thats why he got minutes at C last year behind Booth! Not in the games I watched. So that means Eddy and Maurice have overvalued Smith. Further more your implication is that on most teams he would be a 4th C? And what teams would those be?

The only strength he has is spot up shooting? Oh really, check out any easily accessed scouting report which is worth a least as much as your opinion and your opinion is proven wrong at least as far as opinions are concerned.

This is a blessing in disguise? By missing a further year of playing? In what league would this make any kind of sense.

Do you really think that Stephanski and Cheeks along with all of the assistants on the 76ers staff would have a hard time dividing up the minutes among Speights and Smith according to the ability of either of them to contribute to the team? Please don't say yes!

Or are you suggesting that Smith would get the minutes over Speights because he is one year ahead in his development? It seems to me that players that are young get their playing time by improving their game in practice so that the coaches can move them into the game because they have seen what they can do in practice.

I for one am upset Smith is going to miss a year of playing time but I wish him well in his recovery. He has a lot of hard work ahead of him.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2008, 12:35:14 AM »
Had Smith not gotten hurt, I think that by the end of this upcoming season (or certainly by the following season), Smith is our 4th big, playing 8-10 minutes a night...and in certain games - if Sammy got in foul trouble in the 1st half, for instance - I could see our true backup C (a defense first guy like Ratliff) get minutes instead of Smith as well.

I hope he recovers well...and I hope that he can be that 4th big by next summer...but I am not unhappy that Speights will get more minutes this season as a result.

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2008, 12:52:42 PM »
This injury hurts the Sixers more than most people are admitting.  He's a young, atheltic big who is a legitimate rotation player.  Those are the kind of guys that get paid way too much when they are FA, so it's a benefit to have them under contract on a rookie salary.

At minimum, he would be a valuable trade piece as he developed.  He'd already showed more than many 1st round bigs do, especially those picked outside of the lottery.

Unfortunately, this injury may effect one of his biggest strengths - his mobility relative to his size.

jemagee

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2008, 01:10:10 PM »
If Sam and Brand can both average 35 minutes per game (not out of the realm of possibility) than it only left 26 minutes per game to split between speights and smith.

This injury hurts the Sixers more than most people are admitting.

Bull...unless of course you haven't actually read this thread, since I personally think people are over reaciting to the season ending inujury of an out of shape short armed foul prone defensive liability

Offline The Poster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2008, 12:44:00 AM »
If Sam and Brand can both average 35 minutes per game (not out of the realm of possibility) than it only left 26 minutes per game to split between speights and smith.

This injury hurts the Sixers more than most people are admitting.

Bull...unless of course you haven't actually read this thread, since I personally think people are over reaciting to the season ending inujury of an out of shape short armed foul prone defensive liability

IF???? Sam has, so far in his career, not averaged 35 minutes a game...but its possible??? What else is possible??? Is it also possible that Sam will never get in foul trouble? Or Brand? Or Young? The point you refuse to acknowledge is; J Smith was a developing, valuable rotation player as a C and PF.  @ a rookie scale price, giving the 76ers limited by cap space the ability to spend their limited funds elsewhere. Now they have to get a back up big, BECAUSE Smith is out for the year.

Out of shape? Do you even believe what you write? I guess its possible that you do? Everything is possible... right?

Offline The Poster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2008, 09:17:52 PM »
Hey Jem, I apologize for my posts they were a little over the top.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2008, 11:19:10 PM »
If somebody on this team had to get injured, I think Smith and Green were probably the 2 most expendable guys.  And we can still hope for a Green injury.  But really, Smith's limited offensively, he's weak defensively, and he's not a good rebounder.  He'd be okay as a 15 minute big man, but Evans can be a 15 minute big just as well.  Brand and Dalembert will probably eat 65-70 minutes at the big men positions, and I think Evans, Speights, and Thad will be more than capable of filling in.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2008, 08:03:04 AM »
Except that the team's only glaring weakness is a lack of jumpshooters with range.  Smith was one of their few rotation guys who looked to have a consistent jumper outside of 17 feet.  He would have been the right guy to bring in against the zone.

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2008, 08:30:46 AM »
Except that the team's only glaring weakness is a lack of jumpshooters with range.  Smith was one of their few rotation guys who looked to have a consistent jumper outside of 17 feet.  He would have been the right guy to bring in against the zone.

Can't they just move Thad up to the 4 and put in Rush against the zone?