Author Topic: 6ers give Andre Ig's an 80 million dollar contract for 6 years  (Read 4725 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 6ers give Andre Ig's an 80 million dollar contract for 6 years
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 01:44:02 AM »
Lol @ comparing Kobe and Andre Igs in any way shape or form. 

Are you serious Rick?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 02:32:42 AM »
Lol @ comparing Kobe and Andre Igs in any way shape or form. 

Are you serious Rick?

Not serious, just stupid.    Iggs is to Kobe what Boozer is to Duncan.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 09:50:34 AM »
What's stupid is you posters looking at stats and not seeing the similarities between the players!

They are the same size and weight.  They both play the same position.  Andre is six years younger.

In his third year in the NBA Kobe averaged 19.9 pts. exactly what Andre averaged in his 4th year.

Kobe didn't score over 28 pts. in season average until his 5th season.

I'm very serious about comparing the 2.  Kobe's been in the league for 12 seasons, Andre 4.  The big difference is that Kobe came out early, and was a scorer from the beginning. Andre is still developing the skills to be able to score at that level and he's not as selfish a player, so he's been much less likely to force shots. Kobe never had to share the ball with a guard like AI, and was free to take any wild-ass shot he wanted.  It took even Kobe time to learn how to make those, and Iggy should be compared to Kobe as a player at the same level of NBA experience.

Physically they're about as identical as two players can be, and while Kobe is an excellent athlete, he can't jump any higher or run any faster than Andre. 

Still think that's stupid WOW?  Obviously thinking isn't your strong suit!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 10:09:20 AM by rickortreat »

jemagee

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 11:07:54 AM »
I'm a huge andre iguodala fan and I think this comparison strains credibility in so many ways.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2008, 12:45:13 PM »
What's stupid is you posters looking at stats and not seeing the similarities between the players!

They are the same size and weight.  They both play the same position.  Andre is six years younger.

There are a ton of players that are the same size and weight as Kobe that play the 2.  That's not the smartest way to start off your argument.  Kobe is worlds apart from Igs in terms of skill and work ethic.  They are pretty even physically but Kobe is much more coordinated than Iggs.  In the end I don't think Iggs will ever develop the skills to be near Kobe's level because he just doesn't have the coordination.

In his third year in the NBA Kobe averaged 19.9 pts. exactly what Andre averaged in his 4th year.

Not likely Iggs will ever develop the skills, especially from the perimeter, to be in Kobe's class.  Igs reminds me of Drexler to Kobe's MJ.  Drexler was physically as impressive as MJ but never developed the complete package.  Iggs outside shooting, footwork and dribble are inferior to Kobe.

I'm very serious about comparing the 2.  Kobe's been in the league for 12 seasons, Andre 4.  The big difference is that Kobe came out early, and was a scorer from the beginning. Andre is still developing the skills to be able to score at that level and he's not as selfish a player, so he's been much less likely to force shots. Kobe never had to share the ball with a guard like AI, and was free to take any wild-ass shot he wanted.

This is why it seems pointless to discuss basketball with you.  You are so clueless when it comes to all things Lakers vs Sixers.  Kobe came to a team with Shaq, EJ and Van Excel.  All three guys were ahead of Kobe in regards for shots.  They actually had to move players out to make room for Kobe.  Kobe came into the league with 10X the skills and abilities as Iggs.  Iggs is developing nicely but he's not at Kobe's level, not even at T-Mac's, VC or Wade's level.  Those guys are big time and more importantly CRUNCH time scorers.  Iggs not there and it's not likey he will be IMO.  But who knows for sure, he could become a Drexler type player.

No player in history demanded the ball more than Shaq so throwing AI into the discussion is really stupid.  You really don't think some of this stuff through do you?  Igs has NEVER had to play in a structured offense like the Lakers so Iggs is free to play as wild and lose as he wants to.

It took even Kobe time to learn how to make those, and Iggy should be compared to Kobe as a player at the same level of NBA experience.

HELLO rick, you're the one who started making comparrisons.  Fugg you're stupid.

Physically they're about as identical as two players can be, and while Kobe is an excellent athlete, he can't jump any higher or run any faster than Andre. 

Yes, VERY stupid.  Especially when YOU compare Iggs to Kobe then contradict yourself a couple of posts later saying they shouldn't be compared.

Thinking is not a skill you poses at ALL, especially when it comes to the Lakers and Sixers.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline shadowTerp

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2008, 12:57:22 PM »
I'm not going to defend a comparison between Iggy and Kobe, but I will say that even with the new contract, Iggy's paid nowhere near Kobe, T-Mac or any of the other guys you've mentioned. The contract is about 10% higher than what most of us wanted, but it's not BK bad... except for perhaps the final year. Does that mean we should trade him? No.

If this is all it took to not have him sign the QO, then I am glad we did it.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2008, 04:10:20 PM »
I'm not going to defend a comparison between Iggy and Kobe, but I will say that even with the new contract, Iggy's paid nowhere near Kobe, T-Mac or any of the other guys you've mentioned. The contract is about 10% higher than what most of us wanted, but it's not BK bad... except for perhaps the final year. Does that mean we should trade him? No.

If this is all it took to not have him sign the QO, then I am glad we did it.

Contracts in the NBA are all over the place.  Given the rediculous contracts out there Igs contract was not all that bad but IMO he does not deserve that kind of money.  Still I would take Igs over Marbury, Kidd, Bibby, Francis and Redd.  All back court players who make more money than him.  IMO you don't play 10+ Mil per year for a borderline all-star back court player, but in today's NBA I guess its par for the course.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2008, 05:26:27 PM »

There are a ton of players that are the same size and weight as Kobe that play the 2.  That's not the smartest way to start off your argument.  Kobe is worlds apart from Igs in terms of skill and work ethic.  They are pretty even physically but Kobe is much more coordinated than Iggs.  In the end I don't think Iggs will ever develop the skills to be near Kobe's level because he just doesn't have the coordination.

That's your opinion, with no factual evidence to back up Kobe's allegedly superior work ethic or for that matter even skill.  The biggest difference between the two as players is that Kobe puts up more shots.  He doesn't shoot a higher percentage from the floor.  How exactly is Kobe more coordinated or quicker?  Iggy gets more steals per game, one of the hardest skills in basketball.

Not likely Iggs will ever develop the skills, especially from the perimeter, to be in Kobe's class.  Igs reminds me of Drexler to Kobe's MJ.  Drexler was physically as impressive as MJ but never developed the complete package.  Iggs outside shooting, footwork and dribble are inferior to Kobe.

They are at present but Iggy is developing at a similar pace to Kobe through his first 4 seasons, even though I would say he is slightly behind Kobe at the same age.  Kobe improved his outside shooting, footwork and dribbling, over his career, Iggy will to, to some extent, the limit of which no-one can predict.
I'm very serious about comparing the 2.  Kobe's been in the league for 12 seasons, Andre 4.  The big difference is that Kobe came out early, and was a scorer from the beginning. Andre is still developing the skills to be able to score at that level and he's not as selfish a player, so he's been much less likely to force shots. Kobe never had to share the ball with a guard like AI, and was free to take any wild-ass shot he wanted.

This is why it seems pointless to discuss basketball with you.  You are so clueless when it comes to all things Lakers vs Sixers.  Kobe came to a team with Shaq, EJ and Van Excel.  All three guys were ahead of Kobe in regards for shots.  They actually had to move players out to make room for Kobe.  Kobe came into the league with 10X the skills and abilities as Iggs.  Iggs is developing nicely but he's not at Kobe's level, not even at T-Mac's, VC or Wade's level.  Those guys are big time and more importantly CRUNCH time scorers.  Iggs not there and it's not likey he will be IMO.  But who knows for sure, he could become a Drexler type player.

The point, which once again went way over your head, is that at the same point in their careers, they were both limited in their shot opportunities.  Kobe has had much more of a green light to shoot than Iggy has. Last season was Iggy's first as the primary scorer.  All of the players you mention are significantly older and more experienced with the exception of Wade.  Kobe wasn't 10X better than Iggs when he came out, Kobe was a high school player with a load of potential, Iggy went through a college program and has a much more developed team concept.

No player in history demanded the ball more than Shaq so throwing AI into the discussion is really stupid.  You really don't think some of this stuff through do you?  Igs has NEVER had to play in a structured offense like the Lakers so Iggs is free to play as wild and lose as he wants to.

AI still puts up more shots per game than anyone except Kobe and LeBron.  Your ignorance is what's really impressive here.  Again, Kobe shoots .459 from the field, Iggy .456  The difference is that Kobe takes over 25 shots a game since that is what he averages along with 9 free throws.  Iggy only shoots 19 times and gets 6 free throws.  As a starting leading scorer Iggs produces at virtually the same level of efficiency.  Besides the triangle is designed to get a player like Kobe as many shots as he wants, just like Chicago ran it for Jordan.

It took even Kobe time to learn how to make those, and Iggy should be compared to Kobe as a player at the same level of NBA experience.

HELLO rick, you're the one who started making comparrisons.  Fugg you're stupid.

Actually it is very logical to compare these players for the basis of comparing salary, and since it's a long-term contract, it makes sense to speculate on Iggy's potential.  And the more one digs into the stats the better things look for the Sixers and the deal.

Yes, VERY stupid.  Especially when YOU compare Iggs to Kobe then contradict yourself a couple of posts later saying they shouldn't be compared.

Thinking is not a skill you poses at ALL, especially when it comes to the Lakers and Sixers.

That is spelled possess, ignoramus!  And I have compared them on the basis of their current play and also how Iggy compares with Kobe at the same level of NBA experience to evaluate the Sixers contract. Based on that it looks like the Sixer's got a great deal, assuming that Iggy continues to develop as a player.

jemagee

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2008, 06:51:00 PM »
There's really no logic in the comparison it seems you arbitrarily picked Kobe out of a hat (he seems very popular for a non-Laker board) and just looked at the statistics without looking at the gross make up of the player or the team at the time....Andre Iguodala has never been the 'primary' scorer on his team since he left high school (was he ever then?)...Kobe led a school that traditionally SUCKS at basketball (trust me I went there, the two major sports were soccer/lacrosse)...to a state championship...the comparison is unjustified.

You want to compare his career arc with Pippens, go right ahead, that makes sense to me, but comparing him to kobe just seems silly

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2008, 05:57:00 PM »
I chose Kobe because he is currently the best player at his position in the NBA, and it happens to be the same position that Iggy is going to play.

Kobe sets the standard for all 2 guards in the league, and the closer Igoudala is to playing at Kobe's level the more he's worth the money he's being paid.

I don't necessarily think that Iggy will ever be as good as Kobe, just as it's clear that Kobe will never be as good as MJ. But Kobe is the player that every 2 guard is chasing now.

Comparing the two statistically is simply a way of seeing how Iggy measures up to the best.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2008, 10:57:27 PM »
That's your opinion, with no factual evidence to back up Kobe's allegedly superior work ethic or for that matter even skill.  The biggest difference between the two as players is that Kobe puts up more shots.  He doesn't shoot a higher percentage from the floor.  How exactly is Kobe more coordinated or quicker?  Iggy gets more steals per game, one of the hardest skills in basketball.

No.  The difference is Kobe improves his game every year by working in the off season, the results are evident as he continues to develop his skills rather than rely on athletic ability.  Putting up more shots is NOT the only difference.  Kobe is a better ball handler and shooter, SKILLS!  They are both quick and can jump out of the building, what sets Kobe apart from most players is his well rounded game because he works to develop SKILLS!

They are at present but Iggy is developing at a similar pace to Kobe through his first 4 seasons, even though I would say he is slightly behind Kobe at the same age.  Kobe improved his outside shooting, footwork and dribbling, over his career, Iggy will to, to some extent, the limit of which no-one can predict.

There you go contradicting  yourself again.  You just pointed out what make kobe DIFFERENT/BETTER.  Shooting, footwork and dribbling.  Thanks for making my point.  Those things set Kobe clearly apart from Iggs, it's not even close.  T-Mac is a much better comparisson offensively.

The point, which once again went way over your head, is that at the same point in their careers, they were both limited in their shot opportunities.  Kobe has had much more of a green light to shoot than Iggy has. Last season was Iggy's first as the primary scorer.  All of the players you mention are significantly older and more experienced with the exception of Wade.  Kobe wasn't 10X better than Iggs when he came out, Kobe was a high school player with a load of potential, Iggy went through a college program and has a much more developed team concept.

The point you were trying to make was INVALID, plain and simple.  Kobe was just as limited, if not more since there was Shaq, EJ and Nick ahead of him for shots.  Who was ahead of Iggs?  Only since Shaq's departure has Kobe been given the green light, and look what he did in the 1st year he was allowed to do that, what did Igs do?  Team concept?  You're going to hang your argument on that?  Kobe was better at every assest of the game comming out of HS, in fact Kobe had more skills comming out of HS than Igs has NOW.

AI still puts up more shots per game than anyone except Kobe and LeBron.  Your ignorance is what's really impressive here.  Again, Kobe shoots .459 from the field, Iggy .456  The difference is that Kobe takes over 25 shots a game since that is what he averages along with 9 free throws.  Iggy only shoots 19 times and gets 6 free throws.  As a starting leading scorer Iggs produces at virtually the same level of efficiency.  Besides the triangle is designed to get a player like Kobe as many shots as he wants, just like Chicago ran it for Jordan.

Shaq got more touches, the offense always ran through him whether or not he actually took the shot.  Your lack of understanding the game is what is really impressive.  You are like most box score fans, you don't understand the game beyond stats.  The triangle is geared to get open shots, not for any one particular player.  That is why all-star guys at positions like PG do not make a big bang in the triangle because it's not designed for any particular position.  Anyone can play the post, ala MJ at the 2, and the post is designed to setup other guys in the offense if the shot in the post is not there.  Get a clue.

Actually it is very logical to compare these players for the basis of comparing salary, and since it's a long-term contract, it makes sense to speculate on Iggy's potential.  And the more one digs into the stats the better things look for the Sixers and the deal.

Again you contradict yourself.  First you compare them, then you say not too, then you say to compare them.  Make up your little mind.

That is spelled possess, ignoramus!  And I have compared them on the basis of their current play and also how Iggy compares with Kobe at the same level of NBA experience to evaluate the Sixers contract. Based on that it looks like the Sixer's got a great deal, assuming that Iggy continues to develop as a player.

Spell checkers are wonderful things and you have been called out on many spelling errors in the past so don't front like a little bitch spelling guru.  Plus, before you start name calling try and figure out how to use the simple "Quote" feature effectively simpleton!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"