Author Topic: Early Pre-Season Power Rankings - Western Conference  (Read 2742 times)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Early Pre-Season Power Rankings - Western Conference
« on: August 14, 2008, 09:33:39 PM »
Most of the worthwhile free agents have been signed or moved to Europe, the draft and summer leagues are completed and a few sizable trades are in the books.  Let's assume for now that the remaining RFA's like Ben Gordon, JR Smith, etc all take the QO or otherwise remain with their former teams.  Here is my early take on the relative strength of the teams in the Western Conference:

1.  LA Lakers - The top is bunched up pretty tight like last year, so health will be a major concern.  I will go with the Lakers assuming Bynum is healthy.  Otherwise they drop a couple of spots.  Does an Odom for Marion trade make a bunch of sense here or what?

2.  Charlotte Hornets - A little thinner up front than the Lakers with Bynum, but have more prominent players on the upswing of their careers.

3.  Houston Rockets - I simply cannot assume a full year's health for Yao, McGrady or Artest (mental health counts too), plus their point guard situation is still less than desirable.  This team could win the conference or barely make the playoffs depending on how healthy their big three is and hoe the team chemistry comes together.

4.  Utah Jazz - A team that might hit a plateau just below conference champion.  They need more depth and more production from the wings.  I think a Kirilenko trade might be the way to shake things up, but they might not move him for fear of losing Boozer next summer.

5.  San Antonio Spurs - Getting older, not much added this summer, the draft was less than inspiring and not geting Tiago Splitter to come over after trading Scola last year hurts.  Still dangerous come playoff time.

6.  Phoenix Suns - Slipping and transitioning, but still plenty of talent.  The team seems a little poorly constructed and we will see how they fare under new coaching.

7.  Portland Trailblazers - They should take the step into the playoffs this year and no one will want to play them.  A powerhouse in the making, but one with fragile health in its young players.

8.  Dallas Mavericks - Talent level is slipping rapidly, but still decent.  A good candidate to completely fall apart, but I think Carlisle helps them stay competitive for a year or two.

9.  Golden State - Still a lot of talent and could easily beat the Mavs out of the last playoff spot.  Can Ellis become a PG, and if not, who sits out of Maggette and Jackson?  Still more of a show than a team, but too much offensive firepower to be really bad.

10.  LA Clippers - This is where the bad teams start, but the Clips might be decent if Eric Gordon develops, Baron Davis stays healthy and interested and Al Thornton keeps improving.  Like the top of the conference the lower levels of the conference are tightly bunched.

11.  Denver Nuggets - My candidate to be the Heat from last year, minus the injuries.  The loss of Camby will be huge.  Expect a full revolt by February with players, coaches and management pointing fingers at each other.  It could get ugly.

12.  Sacramento Kings - Might be better off blowing things up completely, but they will be competitive most nights.  Look for them to really commit to rebuilding by trading Brad Miller at the deadline if he has any game left.

13.  OKC ThunderBaronMarshals - Too much young talent to not improve a little.   Talent too young to improve too much and fairly weak at the power positions.

14.  Memphis Grizzlies - Cheap bastards, but will be beter if Gasol has improved in Europe like everyone says and if Arthur really did drop too far.  Need to trade a PG for some more help up front.

15.  Minnesota Timberwolves - I like Jefferson at PF, I like Love at PF, but as a PF-C pairing they will be a defnsive disaster.  Still no top notch PG, but they should be more competitive as the talent level generally rises, but Kevin McHale still works here so the future looks less bright than it should.

Thoughts?  Tomorrow, the Eastern Conference.

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Early Pre-Season Power Rankings - Western Conference
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 07:47:07 AM »
Barring injury, I'm picking New Orleans to win the whole thing. Best starting five in the league, and an improved bench. I'd follow with Utah, Houston, then LA.

Offline shadowTerp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 10:42:43 AM »
Barring injury, I'm picking New Orleans to win the whole thing. Best starting five in the league, and an improved bench. I'd follow with Utah, Houston, then LA.

I can't see the Lakers falling to 4th, especially with Bynum coming back, unless they have major chemistry issues with moving Odom to SF.

Houston, Portland and the Clippers are hard to predict... how well will the new additions of Artest, Oden/Bayless and Camby/Gordon/Davis blend together?

Both Denver and Golden State can put up points, but I can easily see both taking a major step backwards.  And I think Minnesota may be the surprise team in the West.  They won't make the playoffs, but they'll be much better than last year.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 12:18:31 PM »
Both Denver and Golden State can put up points, but I can easily see both taking a major step backwards.  And I think Minnesota may be the surprise team in the West.  They won't make the playoffs, but they'll be much better than last year.

GS had a rough start to their off-season, but recovered pretty well and also have some young talent on the rise.  I'm not sure it would all fit together in a conventional system, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Nellie run out a team with Maggette and Jackson at forward and Ellis and Williams at guard at times.  Denver traded Camby and only picked up Sonny Weems, plus the luster came off of the Iverson/Carmelo era last year.  Their remaining bigs are walking wounded most of the time.  Throw in George Karl and the seeds of combustion are all there.

I might actually pick Memphis as my surprise team.  They could have two top-notch wings in Gay and Mayo, plus a nice PG in Conley.  If some of the young bigs play well they could surprise at least a little, plus they have cap room and young assets to make a big in-season trade if they suddenly decide to spend some money.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 01:25:20 PM by Skates »

jemagee

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 01:18:55 PM »
Denver is in cost cutting rebuilding mode, I don't expect them to make the playoffs.

Memphis and the sonics will probably compete for worst record in the league

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 01:38:51 PM »
I'd pick Sacramento as a surprise playoff team. As far as the Lakers, I'm just not buying them for some reason. Not a fan of their bench, or their PGs, and I'm curious to see how Gasol and Bynum work together on the interior.