Author Topic: Lakers trying to aquire Josh Smith?  (Read 1124 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Lakers trying to aquire Josh Smith?
« on: July 28, 2008, 09:17:15 PM »
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9603
By: Travis Heath Last Updated: 7/26/08 5:16 PM ET

Negotiations are reportedly going nowhere between the Atlanta Hawks and restricted free agent Josh Smith.  Smith is hoping for an annual salary in excess of $10 million while the Hawks are reluctant to meet his price.   

It's easy to forget the Hawks won just 37 regular season games last season since what everyone remembers is Atlanta pushing the Boston Celtics to the brink in the first round.  The cold hard truth is, though, that Atlanta really isn't anywhere close to contending.  As such, giving Smith big-time money is a risky proposition.  Moreover, with Mike Bibby scheduled to come off the books next summer, the Hawks could look to re-tool in the summer of 2009 or 2010.

At this stage, it looks like the Hawks best bet might be to sign and trade Josh Smith.  Sekou Smith of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution indicated that a "Western Conference power" and an "Eastern Conference big dog" have already submitted offers to the Hawks, and that the team is currently in the process of weighing those offers. 

Of course, any kind of sign and trade deal is harder than it appears at face value.  If Smith signs a contract in excess of $10 million as it's expected he will, he will immediately become a Base Year Compensation (BYC) player due to the 20% increase in his salary.  This means the Hawks could only take back 50% of Smith's BYC contract, which definitely complicates potential trade scenarios.  It's possible that a third team might have to get involved in a number trade scenarios.  Still, even while complicated to consummate, there's a heck of a lot of smoke coming from the sign and trade Josh Smith fire.

This can't help but make one wonder who exactly the teams are that Sekou Smith was referring to.  Could the LA Lakers be the "Western Conference powerhouse" poised to make a play for Smith? 

Well, the Lakers could offer Lamar Odom to the Hawks and take back Smith and point guard Speedy Claxton, provided the deal Smith signs with Atlanta before being traded is enough to match salaries given his BYC status.  The move would give the Lakers the defensive presence it lacked in the Finals against the Boston Celtics, and it would also provide the Hawks with a good player and an expiring contract in Odom valued at over $14 million.

The Denver Nuggets could be a suitor, too, as a result of the $10 million trade exception the team received in the Marcus Camby deal according to league sources.  In addition to the trade exception, the Nuggets have some future first round picks to play with as well as young talent like J.R. Smith and Linas Kleiza.  The Nuggets are the only team that can offer the Hawks straight cap relief.  The question is whether or not the Nuggets would be willing to shell out somewhere in the neighborhood of $10-12 million for Smith, which would once again put the Nuggets deep into luxury tax territory. 

Another possible suitor could be the Dallas Mavericks.  Josh Howard is rumored to be on the market and a move to Atlanta would give him a fresh start playing alongside Bibby and Joe Johnson.

Phoenix is also a team to keep an eye on due to the fact both Leandro Barbosa and Boris Diaw have been on the market all summer.

In the Eastern Conference, word is the Detroit Pistons are making a push for Smith in a deal which would likely feature Tayshaun Prince being shipped out.  Such an idea is intriguing for Atlanta, but one has to figure Hawks GM Rick Sund would be at least somewhat leery of shipping Smith to a team already at the top of the Eastern Conference.

There's always a chance Atlanta could change its stance and give Smith what he wants.  The other option would involve Smith playing for the qualifying offer next season and then becoming an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2009.  However, this would likely mean the Hawks would lose him for nothing next summer, which has to be a prospect Atlanta isn't very fond of.

All that said, the smart money points towards a sign and trade.  And with offers reportedly already on the table, expect this situation to really heat up in the coming days.

HOOPSWORLD'S Eric Pincus contributed to this report.

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lakers trying to aquire Josh Smith?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 09:58:16 PM »
Now Josh Smith is only player I think would be smart to move Odom for.  I am a big Odom fan but you can't deny Josh Smith's shot blocking and rebounding.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 10:00:05 PM »
Can Josh Smith play small forward though?  Do the lakers really have a shot blocking/rebounding issue if Bynum comes back healthy and stops listening to the idiot Buss brother?

Don't the Lakers need to find a 'small forward' to play the small forward position?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 10:02:08 PM »
Can Josh Smith play small forward though?  Do the lakers really have a shot blocking/rebounding issue if Bynum comes back healthy and stops listening to the idiot Buss brother?

Don't the Lakers need to find a 'small forward' to play the small forward position?

They don't really need to find a SF...

They have Luke Walton,  Trevor Ariza, and   Kobe Bryant.  All whom which played SF for the Lakers at one point in time during this past season.

As for Bynum...he wasn't a 40 minutes a game player before he went down and I don't think he is a 40 minute a game player now.  So I think Josh Smith's interior defense could help quite a bit.  If Luke Walton doesn't return to form in the passing department the Lakers could really miss Odom though.  Real tough to call this one now that I think of it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 10:03:49 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 10:17:29 PM »
Very tough call indeed.  Smith does not address Odom's main weakness, which is hitting the open shot on a consistent basis and spreading the floor.  I don't think defense at the 3 is the Lakers major concern, it was the 5 spot and Bynum should address that issue.  Should the Lakers decide they have a bigger need at the 4 and 5 spot then Smith makes sense in that it allows Gasol to play some 5 while Smith keeps some beef at the backup 4.  The Lakers have done the addition by subtraction thing before with Elden/Jones for Rice and then allowing Rice to walk in favor of Fox.  I could see the Lakers replacing Odom with Ariza at the 3 spot and figuring something out with the minutes at the 4 and 5 with Gasol/Bynum/Smith.

I honestly would prefer to keep Odom, he is a matchup nightmare since he can play the 3/4 and IMO Smith cannot really play the 3 and his ability to control the ball and pass are not that well developed.  The big plus for Smith is his shot blocking and slashing ability, his slashing would be awesome in the triangle with Gasol giving him point blank looks at the rim.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 11:20:40 PM »
There is buzz from insiders around here that it is the Jazz who made an offer to the Hawks, presumably involving either AK or Boozer. I would think it's most likely AK, but hey, the Hawks may just be dumb enough to trade for a guy who purportedly wants to opt out after this season (Boozer). AK for Smith feels like a wash to me. They are almost the same player except Smith is younger and a better scorer.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton