Author Topic: lou will close to resigning  (Read 6739 times)

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: lou will close to resigning
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2008, 01:37:36 AM »
I guess we'll find out tk but to the best of my knowledge, a team hasn't won a championship with one of these tweeners as a leader on the team. I'm not a fan of trying to build around a guy just because he can score 20 points in a game. If Lou improves his PG skills than I may rethink this but I'm not excited about revisiting the AI issue all over with a player who's upside probably doesn't meet what AI has done.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 07:31:44 AM »
I guess we'll find out tk but to the best of my knowledge, a team hasn't won a championship with one of these tweeners as a leader on the team

Wade?

(not that I'm comparing Williams to Wade, obviously).

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2008, 07:42:27 AM »
Not saying Lou will come close to Isaiah, but Thomas was sort of a shot-happy PG the first half of his career. He also had extraordinary assist numbers as well, but I wonder if he'd be considered a "tweener" now a days.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2008, 08:08:49 AM »
Not saying Lou will come close to Isaiah, but Thomas was sort of a shot-happy PG the first half of his career. He also had extraordinary assist numbers as well, but I wonder if he'd be considered a "tweener" now a days.

I think the definition of a tweener is a guy that has skills for a position at which he is undersized and a lesser set of skills for a position he is properly sized for.  Isiah had all of the necessary skills to be a top-flight PG, as you noted he was "shot-happy" early in his career.  I think he is more comparable to a guy like CP3 who is a scoring point, as opposed to a guy like Iverson who is more of a SG who can pass.  With those three guys I mentioned I think there is a thin line between the positions of PG and SG because they are all uber-talents.  For other players the differences become more pronounced.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2008, 08:14:54 AM »
I'm not a fan of trying to build around a guy just because he can score 20 points in a game. If Lou improves his PG skills than I may rethink this but I'm not excited about revisiting the AI issue all over with a player who's upside probably doesn't meet what AI has done.

I agree with you. And I don't think Lou will ever approach the level of an AI, Wade or Isiah.  I just fear that in 3 years he will have shown himself to be a top scorer/penetrator with star potential- and someone will pay him 10M+/yr. I hope that team paying him is NOT the Sixers, but I feel like the team loses either way by not signing him for 6 years now while they have the chance. 

Of course I probably sound like BK's.

jemagee

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 09:01:40 AM »
Cleveland papers are reporting that West negotiations aren't going well, that the cavs are looking at Louis Williams and that williams turned down a deal from the sixers starting at 3.9 million.

What happened to close?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 10:01:16 AM »
If there was a trade where West and Lou where the primaries I would be traumatized.

jemagee

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2008, 10:04:19 AM »
If there was a trade where West and Lou where the primaries I would be traumatized.

Wests agent is very vocal publicly about how much he thinks west is worth, the cavs want to pay him as much as gibson and he thinks it's an insult.

Offline sixers hoops

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »
Cleveland papers are reporting that West negotiations aren't going well, that the cavs are looking at Louis Williams and that williams turned down a deal from the sixers starting at 3.9 million.

What happened to close?

Dabods said he heard 3 years at just under the midlevel. That would start at almost 6 million, so a report that he turned down an offer starting at 3.9 million sounds accurate.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2008, 10:15:00 AM »

What happened to close?

the Sixers latest offer (which is what was close to being agreed to) was more than that.

I'll try to find out what the latest is on the talks.  I don't have a constant dialogue though, which is why I didn't post this in a more public place (i.e. RealGM).  I'm just passing on what information I do get.

jemagee

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2008, 10:16:09 AM »
Oh i know, just find it worrisome that 48 hours later there's still nothing done and that his name is back out in the papers :)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 10:22:30 AM »

What happened to close?

the Sixers latest offer (which is what was close to being agreed to) was more than that.

I'll try to find out what the latest is on the talks.  I don't have a constant dialogue though, which is why I didn't post this in a more public place (i.e. RealGM).  I'm just passing on what information I do get.

Be sure to tell them they need to up it to 5 or 6 years.  We all know you pull the strings and are counting on you. :P