Author Topic: Project the Depth Chart  (Read 9834 times)

jemagee

Re: Project the Depth Chart
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2008, 04:40:05 PM »
I never thought he was that good of a defender in general, let alone better than either Iguodala or the long armed athletic Young...Do the sixers really believe that line up with green and not young is better defensively?  I hope not

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2008, 07:38:23 PM »
Where is this proof they like Greens defense, cause personally, i think his defense blows cunks, and Iguodala/Young is a better defensive set than Green/Iguodala

I think the proof is in how much Mo plays him.  I don't agree with it, but I do think they like Green.

jemagee

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2008, 07:39:49 PM »
Where is this proof they like Greens defense, cause personally, i think his defense blows cunks, and Iguodala/Young is a better defensive set than Green/Iguodala

I think the proof is in how much Mo plays him.  I don't agree with it, but I do think they like Green.

Oh, I know mo likes to play WG, it's why i need him gone cause I can't see mo NOT playing him at least 20 MPG - but if that's the reference for 'they like his defense' then to me it's a rather shoddy conclusion...i just can't believe that they'd think Green/Iguodala is better defensively than Iguodala/YOung...if they do then the team coaching staff and front office is in worse shape than i thought

Offline phillychuck

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2008, 08:44:45 PM »
jem,

After a couple games last season Mo specifically said on comcast that the quicker 2-guards are sometimes difficult for Iguodala and that WG often played them well.  Don't know if there are online quotes but I'll look.

jemagee

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2008, 08:58:10 PM »
jem,

After a couple games last season Mo specifically said on comcast that the quicker 2-guards are sometimes difficult for Iguodala and that WG often played them well.  Don't know if there are online quotes but I'll look.

Please god let that be untrue

I know mo's earned some good will but i don't think he's that good of a coach or that the sixers over achieved last year....except for thad

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2008, 10:17:16 PM »
I remember seeing that quote several times last year in various forms.  Personally, I think it makes sense if you look at the skill sets of guys like WG and Reggie.  They are role players and role players are best used in match-ups that favor them.  This is true of nearly every player of course, but role players are often more limited in the match-ups that work for them.  Using your deeper bench guys according to match-up is the way to go, but I understand Jem's concern about Mo overusing WG this year. 

I personally thought that Iggy looked a little too bulked up last year which hurt his quickness.  He probably added as much muscle as possible to fit in better at SF, but it cost him some quickness as a SG.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2008, 12:09:53 PM »
I think the line-up might look a bit different at the end of the season than the beginning.  Jason Smith had a great summer league and shot better than Speights or Young.  He may have limitations, but might be a preferable alternative to Dalembert.

Center:  Dalembert (27), Smith (15), Speights (6)
PF:  Brand(36), Speights (12)
SF:  Young (30), Evans (18)
SG:  Iguodala (38), Green (10)
PG: Miller (26), Williams (22)

If you look at last year's minutes, this set-up looks pretty reasonable.  It assumes that Speights will perform well enough to spell Brand and big enough to handle some time at Center.  If he doesn't pan out, or takes some time to break in, Jason Smith and Reggie Evans will get the minutes.
I think Young should be ready to handle 30 minutes a game, which will enable Iggy to stay at the 2.  That means that Willie will loose minutes. Miller can be cut back to about 26 minutes a game, to keep him healthy, and give Lou more opportunity to run the team.

jemagee

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2008, 12:12:52 PM »
Reggie Evans playing 18 minutes at SF doesn't seem reasonable to me.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2008, 12:24:45 PM »
Reggie Evans playing any minutes at SF doesn't seem reasonable to me.

Fixed.

Rick- how do you see Reggie playing on the wing?  With what other players at SG/PG.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2008, 03:33:16 PM »
Evans ends up at the 3 spot, simply because there are now more suitable players for the 4 and 5 spot.  Reggie will do what he does, whatever position he is at.  He's not there for offense, but for rebounding and defense.

At the 5 spot all we have are Dalembert and Smith. Evans is really too small to play at the 4, when you have Brand and Speights better able to play that spot.

Besides, who is going to spell Thad Young at the 3 spot?  I don't want to see Andre there with Willie at the 2.  I'd rather see a bigger team with Evans at the 3, and Iggy dominant at the 2 spot.  A second line-up would have Smith at Center, Speights at the 4, Evans at the 3, Iggy at the 2 and Williams at the one.  That could be a very potent line-up in itself.

Some of this will depend on the matchups with individual teams.  I think what it comes down to is that you don't want both Evans and Dalembert on the Floor at the same time.  Neither one is particularly effective on offense, but the team can function well enough with one of them on the court. 

Speights looks capable of putting up some decent numbers at the 4 spot.  If he has the ability to start, the team might have the luxury of playing Brand at the 3.  I'm not sure how good he is, but he had quite a few post moves that looked automatic in the summer league.

jemagee

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2008, 06:21:17 PM »
Sorry, that's just nonsensical way of thinking

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2008, 08:54:40 PM »
I'm not worried about Evans on offense (where he is a non-factor anyway.)

The point is that he is too big to defend perimeter players.  Evans cannot be expected to guard players like Lebron, VC or even Jamario Moon.  Those wing players would drive past Evans like he is standing still.  Having Evans guard wing players negates any of the strength and rebounding he brings to the table, and flat out exposes him.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2008, 07:39:23 PM »
Reggie is only 6' 8" and 245.  He works very hard on both ends of the floor, and is physically aggressive - a real disruptor of another teams offensive continuity.  He is just a bit lighter than Elton Brand, who is the same height.

He is probably the best player on the Sixers to guard a LeBron James, or some of the other larger three's.  At the present, Thad Young would be overwhelmed physically by a LeBron, and I doubt Speights would do much better. Since loosing Reggie to foul trouble doesn't hurt your team on offense, you can afford to have him play as he does now.  VC is listed as a 2, not a 3, that spot was RJ's.

Reggie is too small to be a Center, and although he holds his own at the 4, he may be quite well-suited to being a defensive 3 who can supplement the rebounding and interior defense. It is reasonable to question his quickness or his ability to stay with some of these players, but we're talking about a guy who is now the weak link on the team, but all of a sudden the team is thin at the 3 spot since we lost Carney and released Giricek. 

It isn't clear that Thad is ready to be a 30+ minute player. Whatever minutes he can't use have to go somewhere, and unless the team wants Green at the 2 and Iggy at the 3, those minutes are going to go to Reggie.  With the additional scoring strength we have inside with the addition of Brand, a line-up of Smith, Brand, Evans, Iggy and Williams would have plenty of scoring ability and create match-up problems for other teams.  That line-up is quite a physical group as well, very tough for other team's second-string players. If you instead, go with Smith, Brand, Iggy, Green and Williams you have a less physically imposing group and are somewhat undersized at the 3.

I suppose against certain teams, putting Iggy at the 3 may make sense, and that would give Cheeks the opportunity to play Green more. But when you look at the elite teams, they often have larger players at the 3.  Who do you want trying to stop 6'7" 235 lb. Paul Pierce, Iggy at 6'6" 207 or Reggie Evans at 6'8" 245?  Would you rather have Green trying to stay with Ray Allen, instead of letting Iggy take him inside?  Not to mention getting physical with Pierce which is probably the only way to slow him down!

He isn't too big to play the three, the only question is, is he too slow.  He probably will be against some players, but since he's second-string, chances are he's not going to be lined up against the elite 3's too often.

jemagee

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2008, 07:50:37 PM »
Man, are you reggie evans agent?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2008, 08:52:08 PM »

He isn't too big to play the three, the only question is, is he too slow.  He probably will be against some players, but since he's second-string, chances are he's not going to be lined up against the elite 3's too often.

Yes, against 85% of the SF in the league he is too slow.  Don't forget, on switches SF's have to cover SG and PG's.  Evans can't do this.

Young will play 30+ min.  The remainder Iguodala slides over to SF and WG or Lou play SG with Miller at PG.  That accounts for all 48 min at SF, barring injuries.

Why would yopu need to give minutes to Reggie at SF when Young and Iguodala are so much better suited?

PG:  Miller 35min, Lou 13 min
SG:  Iguodala 22 min, Lou 18 min, WG 8 min
SF: Young 32 min, Iguodala 16 min
PF:  Brand 35 min, Speights/Smith/Evans 13 min
C:  Sam 32 min, Speights/Smith 16 min