Author Topic: Who Should we trade for thread  (Read 2089 times)

jemagee

Who Should we trade for thread
« on: December 23, 2008, 03:58:16 PM »
Ok - the player movement thread was a bit long and since the sixers really look  like the could (should) be making a move sometime soon - and some names have come up - i thought i'd start a new thread.

Chad Ford (again, his credibility is up to you) indicates that a guy like Mike Miller would only cost the chicago bulls 'drew gooden and change' - now i'm not sure what the change is - but he's implying that mike miller and gerald wallace would be easy gets for a team like the bulls (or the lakers)...and that miller is unhappy in minnesota.

I gotta think that Andre Miller has more trade value than drew gooden - no?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
Re: Who Should we trade for thread
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 04:41:52 PM »
Ok - the player movement thread was a bit long and since the sixers really look  like the could (should) be making a move sometime soon - and some names have come up - i thought i'd start a new thread.

Chad Ford (again, his credibility is up to you) indicates that a guy like Mike Miller would only cost the chicago bulls 'drew gooden and change' - now i'm not sure what the change is - but he's implying that mike miller and gerald wallace would be easy gets for a team like the bulls (or the lakers)...and that miller is unhappy in minnesota.

I gotta think that Andre Miller has more trade value than drew gooden - no?

What we have not seen with Stefanski yet is whether he has the ability to pull off the BK special involving three to six teams and 27 players.  If that were a possibility we could really go wild with this thread.  Seriously though, there are a number of teams with players I might want (Milwaukee-Ramon Sessions), but with whom we do not match up well for a straight trade.  My biggest fear is that we make a move for a used-to-be superstar to pair with Brand instead of building around the higher ceiling young guys who might be or bring a real franchise player in a few years.  Yes, the boogey-man for me is Vince Carter and his killer contract.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 04:51:00 PM »
Yes, don't go young for old.

Who of these players would you be willing to give up in exchange for a good 27-30 year old player to help them win now?:

Lou
Speights
Young
Smith
Future #1

jemagee

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 05:03:08 PM »
Who of these players would you be willing to give up in exchange for a good 27-30 year old player to help them win now?:

I would give up Young if he got us a real good 27-30 old player BECAUSE - I think that Andre Iguodala may be better off at the 3 so he and Young play the same position whereas Speights plays (to me) a position of severe weakness (center) on the team - plus he's taller - i think speightsi is more valuable right now actually.

I'd give up lou and smith because - well i think lous is good but not great and I think smith is vastly overrrated

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 05:08:40 PM »
I think Thad has more trade value around the league.  I think a lot of scouts see him as a star in 2 years.  Speights has not yet shown enough to earn that distinction, and was a 16th pick 6 months ago. 

If Speights continues to be as productive with increased minutes than he could be more valuable because he is a big, but I don't think he has proven himself yet.

jemagee

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 05:10:57 PM »
I think Thad has more trade value around the league.  I think a lot of scouts see him as a star in 2 years.  Speights has not yet shown enough to earn that distinction, and was a 16th pick 6 months ago. 

I think you're probably right about that around the league but i think in terms of the sixers that speights has more value long term because of the scarcity of big men that are any good on the sixers (let alone) in the league whereas thad, right now, is a bit redundant with Iguodala....if you're trying to win now i think it's easier to give up thad than it is to give up speights - but that's just my opinion.

As for proving himself i think speights has already proven he's the best offensive center on the roster - and the best low post player on the roster period (since brand doesn't seem interested in the low post)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 05:23:37 PM »
You are on to something regarding Young.  Since he has the most trade value on the team, and plays at the same position as Iguodala (he of the lead contract)- it sounds like the Sixers would get the most bang for the buck by trading Young.

On the flip side, he is the only player who has any shot of being your "franchise player."  You'd hate to have that one come back and bite you.

Personally, I would not risk it.  the Sixers are in a good position with 4 good players age 20-24.  It might be hard to be a contender in the next 2-3 years, but I would not mortgage the future for the current shaky present.

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 05:29:52 PM »
On the flip side, he is the only player who has any shot of being your "franchise player."  You'd hate to have that one come back and bite you.

I think Speights has a shot of being your franchise player - and at a much less 'competetive' position in the league.

The problem is that the sixers are in a HORRIBLE position at point guard - they're screwed

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 05:34:01 PM »
How about none of them!  Lou, Marreese, and Thad are all potential stars and a good basis for a championship team.  I'd rather be patient and let them develop rather than win now. I think with a little luck they, along with Andre Iguodala, will all continue to improve. Even if Thad and Igoudala play the same position, I don't see a problem. There's not that much difference between a 3 and a 2 anyway and with a 6'8" and a 6'6" player a height advantage against most teams.

If you have to trade anyone, trade Dalembert for another Center.  Let me know when you find one that will give you 10 and 10 a night like Sammy, without being error prone. Maybe that's what Jason Smith will be, so you can get rid of Sam for an outside shooter next year.

I wouldn't be in a rush to get rid of Miller either, since DiLeo became coach his assists have gone way up. He's still a decent scorer, especially posting up defenders, something the Sixers need more of.

Lets see what happens with the Sixers over the next 2 weeks as they travel out West.  See if they can play the kind of defense they need to win games, as well as score when they need to.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 05:34:02 PM »
I'm not sure I see franchise level player in Speights.  I have to see more, particularly defensively, to anoint him that.  I think it's virtually impossible to be a franchise-level big man if you're not a dominant defender, and I haven't seen that yet from Speights. 

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 06:20:55 PM »
I wouldn't be in a rush to get rid of Miller either, since DiLeo became coach his assists have gone way up. He's still a decent scorer, especially posting up defenders, something the Sixers need more of.

And when he walks in the off season and the sixers get nothing i hope you still approve of the decision not to trade him.

Lets see what happens with the Sixers over the next 2 weeks as they travel out West.  See if they can play the kind of defense they need to win games, as well as score when they need to.

Thy aren't getting past the cavs celtics or even the magic in a 7 game series this year - period

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 06:33:31 PM »
I don't know why you would assume Miller would walk....he gets to play here.

And, I don't think you can project what the Sixers will be like by the end of the season.  Especially with such a young team and so many new additions and a new coach, you have to give them a minimum of 20 games to get any kind of rhythm.  With Brand out, that extends the evaluation period even longer.

I'm still waiting for DiLeo to figure out he wants Speights in at the end of the game.

jemagee

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 06:53:07 PM »
I don't know why you would assume Miller would walk....he gets to play here.

Based on the available evidence - Millers going to walk - and there's a lot of places he gets to play - besides i'm tired of milelrs lazy attitude towards his conditioning in the off season especially as he gets older - he's too old for this team now anyway.

And, I don't think you can project what the Sixers will be like by the end of the season.  Especially with such a young team and so many new additions and a new coach, you have to give them a minimum of 20 games to get any kind of rhythm.  With Brand out, that extends the evaluation period even longer.

I can look at the cavs magic and celtics and be fairly confident even WITH brand that in 7 games they woould bitch slap the sixers in 4 of them...but then again i'm not the overly optimistic type that you are...i deal in realism