Author Topic: Is Evans a Goner?  (Read 25220 times)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is Evans a Goner?
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2008, 12:06:42 PM »
FWIW, I don't think Eagles or Phillies games are much different.  Every year, my dad and I go on ebay around August and get the 2 cheapest tickets we can to a game against a team like SD three years ago (I called the blocked kick return for a TD, true story) or Jacksonville two years ago (that game was brutal), or Detroit last year (one of the few good games they played, but those unis were atrocious).  On all 3 occasions, we just walked right down into the lower level, 45 yard line, and there were plenty of unfilled seats everywhere.  You just don't notice nearly as much in football because you rarely see the stands, and when you do, you get handpicked shots.  And Phillies games, despite what the paid attendance says, always seem a quarter empty, even taking into account everybody out in CF.  I got to one Sixers game last year, against the Celtics near the end of the season, and the prices of the seats are just ridiculous.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2008, 12:12:42 PM »
I'm not talking about going on ebay or stubhub to buy tickets to flyers games.  I'm talking about $100 being the face value of the tickets in the back row of the upper bowl.  You can still get Phillies tickets for $10 (SRO).

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2008, 01:03:24 PM »
I'm not talking about prices, I was just pointing out that all sports are the same.  Good teams and rivalries are going to draw more fans to the stadium, regardless of paid attendance, than a bad team or a team nobody cares about.  And I don't think there's ever been a game in any sport it which every seat or close to it has been filled, even if the seats have been paid for.

jemagee

« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2008, 01:06:46 PM »
And I don't think there's ever been a game in any sport it which every seat or close to it has been filled, even if the seats have been paid for.

Wow, I wish i could bet you on things like this...and then point you to fenway park almost any night of the baseball season (not just yankee games)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2008, 01:23:23 PM »
And I don't think there's ever been a game in any sport it which every seat or close to it has been filled, even if the seats have been paid for.

Wow, I wish i could bet you on things like this...and then point you to fenway park almost any night of the baseball season (not just yankee games)

Like I said, not paid attendance, actually going to games and sitting and watching.  Not milling around "enjoying the experience".  Not having the ticket and sitting home because something came up.  And I bet if you looked at most sections of Fenway, there'd be empty seats to be seen.

jemagee

« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2008, 01:29:16 PM »
I know exactly what you meant...though your expanding on the issue makes it even slightly more ludicrous...so if a seats empty cause a guy got up to get a hot dog you will says it isn't filled?

As long as a person walks through the ticket booth, the seats occupied in my opinion, and trust me, the red sox have few, if any, empty seats to any home games.

Additionally, packer season ticket waiting list is into the thousands, season tickets are passed down in wills (and fought over in divorces and probate courts)...your blanket statement incorporating the history of all sports is just beyond the pale of hyperbolic statements.

Trust me, red sox have fans for every seat in attendance more often than 'never'...it's still a 'smallish' stadium with not enough seating even with the monster seats, but they got nowhere to go to expand the darn thing (except up) because of how cramped boston geography is and the location of fenway...and don't suggest doing to fenway wwhat the yankees are doing to yankee stadium, there'd be an unholy revolt in boston the likes of which you haven't seen since the boston party...

now THATS good hyperbole :)

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2008, 01:40:38 PM »
Just curious if anyone knows, is there anywhere to see paid attendance vs. people who walked through the gate?  I think that would be an interesting stat to see.

jemagee

« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2008, 01:55:21 PM »
Just curious if anyone knows, is there anywhere to see paid attendance vs. people who walked through the gate?  I think that would be an interesting stat to see.

Based no your argument you'd also need photographs of every seat and every moment on the off chance someone has to take a leak

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2008, 02:15:38 PM »
While that is the case, my interest in that stat has very little to do with the argument at hand.  Just a curiosity because I think paid attendance numbers are a farce.

jemagee

« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2008, 02:23:14 PM »
While that is the case, my interest in that stat has very little to do with the argument at hand.  Just a curiosity because I think paid attendance numbers are a farce.
\
They are a farce, and I don't disagree, but your out of hand statement was that you don't think any stadium in any sport has EVER had every seat filled, even factoring in people needing to relieve themselves and eat, that's just a nonsensical statement...Did you see many empty seats in boston or la during the finals? (I'm asking, i didn't watch)...were those same seats empty the entire game?

And yes, there are actual attendance versus paid attendance numbers out there, if you are interested, you could look em up using google but i'm guessing based on history you won't

Offline DuckyNinja

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2008, 02:39:34 PM »
\
They are a farce, and I don't disagree, but your out of hand statement was that you don't think any stadium in any sport has EVER had every seat filled, even factoring in people needing to relieve themselves and eat, that's just a nonsensical statement...Did you see many empty seats in boston or la during the finals? (I'm asking, i didn't watch)...were those same seats empty the entire game?

And yes, there are actual attendance versus paid attendance numbers out there, if you are interested, you could look em up using google but i'm guessing based on history you won't

I didn't watch Boston-LA either.  I figured whatever team Stern and/or the refs wanted to win would win.

And I have no clue what history you're talking about, but that's just a false statement in every sense.  I'm sure it's out there, sometimes people have a link or knowledge on hand that would save me time.  When I get home from work, I'll go look for it.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2008, 02:54:44 PM »
The other big difference between hockey and b-ball is that basketball is a much friendlier TV sport, while I find hockey is a significantly better sport to watch live.

That's a really good point. Hockey is an odd sport in that it probably has the biggest between enjoyment on TV versus seeing it live. It also is FAR more enjoyable to watch playoff hockey versus the regular season.

jemagee

« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2008, 02:59:20 PM »
I remember when everyone said "HD will save hockey" - i've watched hockey games in HD - i'm still not that impressed :)

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2008, 03:01:58 PM »
I remember when everyone said "HD will save hockey" - i've watched hockey games in HD - i'm still not that impressed :)

Ah, remember the puck LED thing they tried on TV a few years ago so that everyone could follow the puck,or fuzzy red dot, around better on TV.  There was a success story for you.

jemagee

« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2008, 03:12:03 PM »
The best part was the 'flames' on a slap shot.

Fox does some REALLY stupid stuff with sports, there 'screaming' baseball, the gopher cam (yes i watch nascar, crashes are fun)