Author Topic: Today is less funny than yesterday  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Today is less funny than yesterday
« on: June 23, 2008, 07:08:17 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080623/ap_on_en_tv/obit_george_carlin

RIP to a comedic legend.  I had the opportunity to see him (for the first time live) 3 months ago.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Re: Today is less funny than yesterday
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 08:48:50 AM »
Touche' Derek, I grew up with this cats comedy, (the clean stuff) a great loss.
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 09:47:02 AM »
Man I haven't felt so bad reading the death of a celebrity in a really long time like I did last night.  George Carlin was one of my heroes and by far one of the funniest people ever.  RIP! 
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 12:02:22 PM »
George Carlin.

I saw him for the first time about 3-4 months ago at Jesse Auditorium here in Columbia, but I've been an ardent fan of his for probably 12 or more years.  George Carlin was the funniest man I ever heard, period.  Joe went out and bought like 5 of his cd's one day and we would throw one in on a road trip and pretty much die laughing the entire way:  The airline safety lecture, the death penalty, political correctness, Golf, feminism, baseball vs. football, throwing people off, politics, war, the sanctity of life, environmentalism, and yes, the sanctity of life.  Nothing was taboo for him and there was no subject he didn't have the audacity to broach.  His sardonic, irreverent point of view was sometimes tenfold more refreshing than the empty platitudes of those who spent careers discussing these topics. 

I always said that of all the people across the entire spectrum of celebrity (TV journalism included), there was no person I agreed with more on a socio-political level than George Carlin.  Though never quite sure what that says about me, I always proudly state that.

Carlin is one that'll be missed greatly.       
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline sec106

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 03:55:21 PM »
Loved this guy. 

Carlin, Pryor, and Bruce were absolute trailblazers. 

And now all three are gone.

Thank God for vinyl and tapes.