Author Topic: Update  (Read 11118 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Update
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2008, 02:16:39 PM »
The problem is the "rule" has never been established.  We have half the league running under the assumption that a dropped player CAN be used as a keeper, and we have had people who have held onto injuried players just so others couldn't use him (wk) as well.  We have never defined waived players anywhere, ever.

I don't have a dog in this fight so I will go with whatever you guys decide but my understanding was anyone picked up off of waivers can be kept the max amount of years.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2008, 05:31:08 PM »
I don't have a dog in this fight so I will go with whatever you guys decide but my understanding was anyone picked up off of waivers can be kept the max amount of years.

Appreciate the input Michael Vick. :P
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline atom2030

• AOL Instant Messenger - atom2030
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tomp22000
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2008, 07:06:15 AM »
two interesting questions:

1) why was Arenas not on the "can't cut" list after being the #5 player league wide last season. Guys of that calibre do get special protection usually from exactly that happening what had happened now.

2) Arenas was in his 2nd year being keeper, so next year he would have joined the regular draft pool. I believe that should be considered as well when making a decision of his keeper eligibility, and IMHO he should be available for the draft.

(and no, I do not consider a player put on the waiver wire for a day or two "made available to the league". It's basically a matter of your curent waiver priority, so just a handful of teams even had a chance of picking him up ... and they had to be there at the right time with the right prio)

just my 2 cents ...
===============================
Felix Skydivers '13
In honor of Felix Baumgartners adventures
... and not just because he's Austrian too

xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2008, 10:46:51 AM »
1) We don't have a "can't cut list" in our league. 
http://basketball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/nba/8244/settings
Can't Cut List Provider:     None
Can't cut lists aren't really for keeper leagues, nor are they really good for leagues where people return every year (which the majority of our members do).  They're for people who go "ah, I'm losing anyway, I'm going to drop my whole team kthxbye".  We've never had that problem here, so it makes no sense to restrict ourselves in case we get into a championship game and have a player whom we have no intention of keeping who's injured wasting a roster spot because of an arbitrary list yahoo puts out.

2) Being in waiver is a part of the league.  When you look back at why the 2 year limit was instituted, it was put in place so people who got top of the line keepers (the KG's, at least before this year, LeBron's, Dirk's, etc) didn't dominate years on end.  It wasn't so much to increase the funness of the draft.  Being only a select handful of teams with the opportunity to grab him doesn't change in the draft.  If for some unforeseen reason Chris Paul would enter the draft next year, the person unlucky enough to get the 12th pick (or, even, the 2nd pick) isn't going to have a fair chance to get him.

It's very possible that the decision made in this instance is different than the rule change going forward.  Getting this right going forward and established IMO is the most important so we can deal with it if/when it happens in the future and everyone is on the same page.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2008, 01:49:58 PM »
So is it over and how did the thing turn out?

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2008, 02:52:58 PM »
It's me and atom2030 for the whole enchilada, God help me.  Starting Tomorrow and going to next Wednesday.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline atom2030

• AOL Instant Messenger - atom2030
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tomp22000
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2008, 03:56:54 PM »
ok, but this might open up a dangerous precedent. Any team having a player in his 2nd (=last) year of "keepability" could waive him in a pre-arranged "deal" - it can't keep him anyway - with any waiver pickup restoring his keeper eligibility.
===============================
Felix Skydivers '13
In honor of Felix Baumgartners adventures
... and not just because he's Austrian too

xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2008, 11:37:53 PM »
ok, but this might open up a dangerous precedent. Any team having a player in his 2nd (=last) year of "keepability" could waive him in a pre-arranged "deal" - it can't keep him anyway - with any waiver pickup restoring his keeper eligibility.

IMO we don't have those type of people in the league plus this is a no-money league.  I've played in real money fantasy leagues and the rules are a bit stricter but this is a fun league with people we know for the most part.  IMO we do not need to make a rule change but I will not argue if we do.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"