Author Topic: First to 50 in the West  (Read 18099 times)

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: First to 50 in the West
« Reply #105 on: April 04, 2008, 04:54:09 PM »
I think my definition of "creating your own shot" is probably a little narrow. There's no doubt that Hakeem, Duncan, McHale, Malone and others like them created space for a shot with their moves. I can admit that. I'm not trying to say that the person delivering them the ball did all the work for them; that would make no sense.

I am saying, however, that those players almost always established a position (posted up), received the ball, and then made their move. Barkley was an anomaly for a while there in that he mainly backed people down, starting with the ball outside and pounding his way down. Others did it, but no one beat the back-down move to death like Barkley. It became awful to watch in the end.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 04:56:11 PM by Ted »
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: First to 50 in the West
« Reply #106 on: April 04, 2008, 10:14:39 PM »
I understand what you are saying now -- I certainly wasn't thinking that.  I think it's a bit more than what you are saying -- I'm watching the Laker game and I see Dirk catch the ball down low but then he uses his quickness to post up -- dribbling a bit to create some space for his fall away jumper.

Barkley definately abused this post-up move -- Shaq also used it but Barkley used to try and put his opponent to sleep by dribbling for 15 seconds.