Author Topic: Will the Sixers catch the Cavaliers for the 4th seed?  (Read 1104 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Will the Sixers catch the Cavaliers for the 4th seed?
« on: March 27, 2008, 04:33:27 PM »
As of today, the Sixers are 3 game behind Cleveland.  They have 10 games left, including 2 with the Cavaliers.

Phila. is playing .800 ball over the past 20 games. If they can continue to win at that pace, they can finish the season with 45 games.  Cleveland is playing .500 ball over their last 10 and also have 10 games left.

If Cleveland splits it's next 10 it too would finish with 45 games.

I'm not sure about the tie-breakers, but I would think head to head competition would be first, and that will be decided in the two games they play.  Phila. won one at Cleveland in December.

Cleveland has a fairly easy schedule, but does have 2 games with Detroit and one with Orlando. If the Cavs lose those and get beaten twice by Phila. they could end up no better than 45 wins.

The EC is almost as interesting as the WC for the playoffs.  Not that the first seed is still up in the air, but who will get in, and who will get squeezed out is very much in play.

Boston, Detroit and Orlando are all secure in their spots.  Cleveland could still be caught by Phila. and Washington. If Gilbert Arenas comes back for the Wizards, (and it sounds like he's ready from his blog) they will also be a very dangerous team. The Raptors are in free fall, but were one of the top teams until Bosh went down. Now that he and T.J. Ford are back, they might get their act together, as they did last night in Detroit.

Only 3 1/2 games separate 7 from 4, so these seedings could change dramatically.  The Eighth spot is also up for grabs with Atlanta trying to hold off New Jersey, Indiana and Chicago. 

I am sure the Celtics will beat whoever they face in the first round, but the rest of the matches I'm not sure of.  Detroit is looking weak, the good teams are going into their building and winning. Orlando has been very hot as of late, but a healthy Washington or Toronto could give them a very tough time. As for Phila., if they keep playing the way they have, will beat Cleveland, so getting that first-round home court advantage would be very big for them.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Will the Sixers catch the Cavaliers for the 4th seed?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 04:46:26 PM »
The 76ers have been very impressive these last two months or so.  They couldn't have picked a better time to gel and start hitting on all cylinders.  I definitely think they have a shot at catching the Cavs and passing them in the standings, especially since they play them twice.  If they can win both of those games they should be able to do it.  If I'm in the East, I don't want to face them in the playoffs. 

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 06:13:45 PM »
I actually think the Sixers match up really well vs the Brons, and expect them to win both games remaining against them

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 06:46:48 PM »
If the Cavs can get fully healthy, I would give them the edge over the Sixers.  I think the other three teams would be the Sixers in 4 games.