Author Topic: Sixers upset Pistons in Detroit!  (Read 2149 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Sixers upset Pistons in Detroit!
« on: March 12, 2008, 10:24:32 PM »
This was not a typical win for the Sixers.  It was played at Detroit's pace, 83-82.  The Sixers starting five, with Dalembert, Evans, Young, Igoudala and Miller, appeared to be more than a match for Detroit, as they started out scoring and led at the end of the first, 26-18. In the 2nd quarter they got ahead by as many as 12 points before finishing with a 6 pt. lead.

The Sixers were able to execute in the half-court with Andre Igoudala dominating on both ends of the floor, shutting down Richard Hamilton, and getting to the rim. Chauncey Billups had his hands full with Andre Miller as well. I had said I thought this team would match up well with Detroit and it did.  The Sixers were able to outrebound the Pistons, and get a number of second-chance shots.  The Sixers starting guards outscored Detroits 32-34 and out-assisted them 9-6. The Sixers had 7 more rebounds, (5 offensive) and forced 7 more turnovers.

It would have been more impressive, except that they sort of backed into the win at the end. As the 4th started the Sixers reclaimed the lead and eventually got up by 5, with 3:40 left. They couldn't put Detroit away however, and at 2:27 the Sixers stopped scoring, and only Detroit's failure to score 5 points in that time cost them the game.

This has been the most impressive victory for the Sixers yet, against a team that is arguably the 2nd best in the NBA, and one that was at full strength, including a very effective Rasheed Wallace.

One would think after playing Boston and Detroit things would get easier, but the Sixers face the Bulls in Chicago on Friday and travel home to play the Spurs in a back to back.  It is very important for the Sixers to beat Chicago and not worry about the Spurs until Saturday. Chicago is chasing the Sixers in the playoff standings and going up another game on the Bulls is more important than beating the Spurs.

If the Playoffs started today the Sixers would face the Pistons, which all of a sudden doesn't seem quite so daunting a task.  I think both teams would be relieved if the Sixers could move up in the standings.  They are now only 1 game behind Washington (2 more losses) and 4 behind Toronto in the 5th spot. 

The Sixers still have a very tough stretch of games but if they can beat the Pistons they can beat any of them. They will make or break their season and playoff chances over the next 2-3 weeks.  Say what you will about point differential but it is a very good predictor of relative strength. Over the past 10 games the Sixers had been playing better than Detroit, and sure enough they outplayed them tonight. By contrast, the Celtics were playing even better than the Sixers and were clearly the better team on Monday.

Both San Antonio and Chicago have poorer point differentials over their past 10 and 5 games respectively.

This was a break - through win for the Sixers.  This is the first time in a long time that they have challenged an elite team in their building and won, just as I thought the win over Orlando was also a barrier the team got through.  They are on their way to respectability, and a few more wins and a few of you might start to agree that they are a legitimate top 10 team.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sixers upset Pistons in Detroit!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 10:31:47 PM »
Rick,

I gave props to the Sixers for their win tonight but they still aren't a top 10 team.  The Sixers get pumped up big time for a game with the Pistons -- the Pistons don't treat this game the same.  Not an excuse -- just a fact.

Good win for the Sixers but the Sixers have to prove they are a top 4 in the Eastern Conference and I don't think they can beat any of the top 4 teams in the East in a playoff series.  They would be better off facing the Cavs or Orlando than the Pistons though.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 10:53:01 PM »
Rick,

I gave props to the Sixers for their win tonight but they still aren't a top 10 team.  The Sixers get pumped up big time for a game with the Pistons -- the Pistons don't treat this game the same.  Not an excuse -- just a fact.

Good win for the Sixers but the Sixers have to prove they are a top 4 in the Eastern Conference and I don't think they can beat any of the top 4 teams in the East in a playoff series.  They would be better off facing the Cavs or Orlando than the Pistons though.

Ok Randolph,  considering that the Sixers started late and cannot win 50 games or overtake some of the teams I assert they are better than, what would it take to convince you, prior to the playoffs that the Sixers are a top 10 team?

Over the past 20 + games they have played .700 ball. Over the past 10 games they are ranked 4th in point differential behind Houston, Boston and LA.  Over the past 5 games they are ranked 4th behind Boston, Houston and Orlando. They are playing the way you would expect a top 10 team to, beating the weak teams, going after the suspect good teams, and occasionally toughing out wins against elite teams.

And, don't think that Detroit didn't care about tonight's game. They know very well who's matched up with who now. You don't think they didn't want to send the Sixers a message?  You know they didn't want to encourage them!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 11:00:28 PM »
Wow, wish I could have seen the game.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 11:05:21 PM »
I love the daily Sixers update we get from rick (or at least when they win).

I'm a sixers fan, and even I'm getting tired of it.  I can't imagine what non-sixers fans are feeling.  I think the Sixers (a sub .500 team mind you) are getting more threads than even the lakers at this point.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 11:29:11 PM »
Props!  Ill give em since they did beat a top team in the league.

Now that you are clearly excited about this team and what they might be able to do next year....do you still think they should have tanked the season earlier like you mentioned?  Cuz you said you didn't want to see them win but clearly you do.

Beating a team they could face in the first round is important to the Sixers at the end of the day (or should I say regular season)  not that big of a deal in the grand scheme.  There is no way they are getting by any of the top 3 teams in the Eastern Conference.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 11:30:23 PM »

I'm a sixers fan, and even I'm getting tired of it.  I can't imagine what non-sixers fans are feeling.  I think the Sixers (a sub .500 team mind you) are getting more threads than even the lakers at this point.

It's okay dabods -- I like what I see out of the Sixers -- they are working together as a team (putting team first) and they are working hard.  They worked harder than the Pistons, IMO, tonight.  That always gets props in my book.

I would be interested in what you think about the first round match-ups -- I think they would be better against the Cavs -- what do you think?  I still don't think they win but I think they can get a game or two away from the Cavs.  Your thoughts?

You HAVE to be excited about the longterm prospects of the Sixers.  Basically, the Sixers young guns are showing you an exciting future.  Sure, when players get "good" -- opponents will actually start watching films to see how to stop them (or slow them down anyway).  Guess that's a compliment all in itself.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 11:29:34 AM »

Now that you are clearly excited about this team and what they might be able to do next year....do you still think they should have tanked the season earlier like you mentioned?  Cuz you said you didn't want to see them win but clearly you do.

Beating a team they could face in the first round is important to the Sixers at the end of the day (or should I say regular season)  not that big of a deal in the grand scheme.  There is no way they are getting by any of the top 3 teams in the Eastern Conference.

I wanted them to tank to get the piece(s) they need.  They are still missing that piece- a stud power forward.  It now appears that the GM, thinks he can pick one up in free-agency.  I think it's very difficult to trade for a franchise player, and the higher draft pick would have really helped.

I am pleasantly surprised with what they have been able to accomplish.  Miller is a much better point guard than I thought.  Thaddeus Young continues to develop and gives us a real threat at the 3 spot. It also free Igoudala to play the 2, where he can dominate most of the players he's matched up against. Louis Williams is also a very good player, and the Sixers subs also continue to play very well.  Jason Smith is already contributing and Reggie Evans has been absolutely huge for the Sixers toughness.

As far as I am concerned, this season is a success. They've transformed the Sixers from a team no one wanted to think about into one that is entertaining and worth watching.  They have identified several players as being capable starters in the NBA. They continue to learn how to play as a team, and to add additional abilities, such as the capacity to execute in the half-court.  This is much better than tanking games to get a higher draft choice. 

For the rest of the season, the Sixers have to continue to develop their players and try to get as far as they can.  It's good for them to get playoff experience and to know what it's like.  No one knows how far they can go this season, not even themselves.  But if I was another E.C. team in the playoffs, this Sixers team is one I would really want to avoid.

Since there's no chance of a lottery pick now, (and realistically there probably wasn't one, as all the teams below the Sixers in the EC are really awful and shamelessly tanking.)  the Sixers should try to win as many games as they can to move up in the standings. I'd love to see them catch Toronto and move into the 5th spot. 

I forget how the playoff seedings work, but if the Sixers can work it so that they don't face Boston until the EC finals, that would be ideal. In any case the objective now is to win as many games as they can, continue to develop their young players and gain experience.  Find better plays and ways to score in crunch time, so they don't blow games like they almost did last night!  Get the best playoff seeding they can and try to win.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 11:48:26 AM »

I wanted them to tank to get the piece(s) they need.  They are still missing that piece- a stud power forward.  It now appears that the GM, thinks he can pick one up in free-agency.  I think it's very difficult to trade for a franchise player, and the higher draft pick would have really helped.

I am pleasantly surprised with what they have been able to accomplish.  Miller is a much better point guard than I thought.  Thaddeus Young continues to develop and gives us a real threat at the 3 spot. It also free Igoudala to play the 2, where he can dominate most of the players he's matched up against. Louis Williams is also a very good player, and the Sixers subs also continue to play very well.  Jason Smith is already contributing and Reggie Evans has been absolutely huge for the Sixers toughness.

As far as I am concerned, this season is a success. They've transformed the Sixers from a team no one wanted to think about into one that is entertaining and worth watching.  They have identified several players as being capable starters in the NBA. They continue to learn how to play as a team, and to add additional abilities, such as the capacity to execute in the half-court.  This is much better than tanking games to get a higher draft choice. 

For the rest of the season, the Sixers have to continue to develop their players and try to get as far as they can.  It's good for them to get playoff experience and to know what it's like.  No one knows how far they can go this season, not even themselves.  But if I was another E.C. team in the playoffs, this Sixers team is one I would really want to avoid.

Since there's no chance of a lottery pick now, (and realistically there probably wasn't one, as all the teams below the Sixers in the EC are really awful and shamelessly tanking.)  the Sixers should try to win as many games as they can to move up in the standings. I'd love to see them catch Toronto and move into the 5th spot. 

I forget how the playoff seedings work, but if the Sixers can work it so that they don't face Boston until the EC finals, that would be ideal. In any case the objective now is to win as many games as they can, continue to develop their young players and gain experience.  Find better plays and ways to score in crunch time, so they don't blow games like they almost did last night!  Get the best playoff seeding they can and try to win.

This is part of what I was saying when I said that they shouldn't tank the season.  A lot of these younger players are getting a taste of what it is like to be competitive and what they can really do as a squad.  To me that is very important.  Maybe it could end up being more important then hoping to get a top 5 pick in the draft this year (I don't watch college ball much so I don't know who the impact players are).

The Sixers are still not going to make it out of the first round.  They are playing good basketball but their inexperience in the playoffs is going to shine come the first round.  Detroit, Boston, and Cleveland are not going to be upset by the Sixers.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 12:02:41 PM »
The Sixers have been playing very competitive ball and it's nice to see the young guys gelling for them.  I think everyone should cut rickortreat a little slack, he has a right to get a little fired up for his team right now. 

Unfortunately, I didn't get to see the game, but from reading about it, it sounds like the 76ers cooled down and were still able to hold them off.  Although as a fan, I hate when my teams do that, I do think there is a certain element there that shows signs of a good team.  In other words, they can pull out a game that might get a little ugly or if their shooting goes cold.  Good for them. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 01:48:00 PM by msc »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 12:05:56 PM »

As a non-sixers fan around here I am actually GLAD to see more threads about teams that are not the Lakers or Spurs.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 12:24:32 PM »
Until recently there hasn't been much reason to talk about the Sixers and that is the biggest difference.  As a fan, when your team isn't going anywhere and isn't winning, there's no entertainment there.

But about a month and a half ago the Sixers started to win.  It was easy to dismiss it at first as simply the schedule or the other team suffering from injuries.  But as time went on, they continued to win and starting beating teams that in the past they had no shot at beating.

It's been fun watching the Sixers turn into a basketball team.  There are two components to being a fan, one is their chance to win a Championship, the other is the competency of their play.  They are a fun team to watch and that makes them entertaining, the chance of them winning makes it all the more enjoyable.

When your team is comprised of young, inexperienced players, the best you can hope for is for them to become capable of playing against and beating the other teams.  For a team that many picked to finish dead last, this is quite a surprise.

I have no idea what their chances are in the playoffs, but I hope they can get far. Since they're young, they don't know any better, and it's good for them to get to play in the playoffs and get that experience. They might even surprise some people.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 02:10:43 PM »
Have I mentioned Thad Young's going to be a stud?  His touch around the rim screams 20 ppg scorer, his spin move is already unguardable, and his handles have improved from being a complete liability to almost being a strength in the span of months.  He might not be a #1 type option (although with his skills and work ethic, it's not out of the picture), but I definitely think he's going to be a 20 ppg scorer, and probably quite soon.  He might be my favorite player on the team at this point (ahead of Iggy).

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 02:39:30 PM »
Definitely a great pick Dabods.  Now, I think we are much better off with him instead of Thornton.

I would like to see him get more minutes at the 3 spot and more minutes altogether.  I'd like to see him become more than a third option on the offense, and have him handle the ball a bit more.  He seems to create more possessions, when he is in the game, very active on defense.

Didn't you love Carney stepping up last night?  He saved the game for the Sixers when everyone else went cold.

If we could get Shavlik Randolph going and playing minutes at the 4, we could keep Thad at the 3, where he creates match-up problems for the other team.