Author Topic: Derek, Lurker I have a question regarding the CBA  (Read 846 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Derek, Lurker I have a question regarding the CBA
« on: March 18, 2008, 02:01:53 PM »
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/120581071320230.xml&coll=7

Miles' future with Blazers up in air

Blazers are basically trying to force Darius Miles into retirement, because of injuries.  If they get a Dr. to agree then he comes off the cap and insurance will pay his salary.  If he is deemed unable to play, but then signs with another team, and plays at least 10 games, then he goes back on the books.

My question is this.  Technically we wouldn't be releasing Miles, he is being taken off the books because of injury retirement.  If he was to sign with someone else, then they would not be able to sign him for league minimum, they would be accepting the risk of the entire deal, since he has not been released.  If that was the case they would be adding his salary to their payroll, and he would then come off our books.  That is not what the article says, but I am not sure that they writer fully understands the rule.  Do you guys know the specific rule?

If Miles does come off our books at the end of this year, then a lot of stuff changes.  We then have his salary, Steve Francis' salary, and Raef LaFrentz all coming off at the end of 2009, and those 3 are scheduled to be paid $37,500,000 next year.  That effectively puts us at $48 to $51 million (depending upon draft picks the next 2 years, and if our Euro draft picks come over or not).  That would potentially give us $7-$11 million to spend on a FA after the end of next season.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Derek, Lurker I have a question regarding the CBA
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 02:12:45 PM »
Ziggy,

Try this site...it is by Larry Coon who is considered one of the leading experts on the cap.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues