Author Topic: Best Crunch time players  (Read 2211 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Best Crunch time players
« on: February 23, 2008, 12:58:44 PM »
http://www.82games.com/CSORT11.HTM

For these stats "Clutch" is defined as:
 4th quarter or overtime, less than 5 minutes left, neither team ahead by more than 5 points

Points per 48 minutes of Clutch time
Team   Player   Games  Min  PP48min 
 CLE     James     32     157    59.0
 LAL     Bryant   25      78     50.2
 WAS     Butler  18     76    47.2
 SEA     Durant  25     94    44.6
 SAS     Ginobili  24      93      44.5
 CHI     Gordon  20     87    43.8
 MIL     Redd      27     95     43.3

Assists per 48 min
Team   Player           Games  Min  ast48min 
TOR     Calderon     21     71   13.6
 PHO     Nash              28      99    12.7
 SAS     Ginobili       24       93     11.9
 DAL     Harris       18       53      11.8
 CHI     Duhon              20      38    11.3
 UTA     Williams      25      81    11.3

total +/- in crunch time
Team    Player   Gm   Min   +/-
 CLE    James   32   157   109
 CLE    Gibson   29   139   90
 CLE    Ilgauskas   28   106   70
 DAL    Terry   27   76   69
 CLE    Da.Jones   22   65   63
 GSW    Davis   31   120   59
 DAL    Nowitzki   27   83   57
 GSW    Jackson   26   103   55
 CLE    Varejao   12   69   49
 SAC    Miller   27   106   49
 CLE    Gooden   22   79   47

It is very interesting that Cleveland has 6 of the top 11 players on the total +/-.  Obviously they have played a lot of games like this, and they have had significant success, so a lot of guys get the benefit.  It is also obvious that LeBron is the reason.  So he is scoring 59 points per 48 minutes, and he is a +109 in those situations.  It is pretty obvious, LeBron is the best clutch player in the game.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Best Crunch time players
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 01:43:16 PM »
It is pretty obvious, LeBron is the best clutch player in the game.

LOL.  It's pretty obvious that he is not much of player for 43 minutes of the game since he and his team is in so many "clutch" situations.  LeBron is pretty much unstoppable when he wants to be, problem is he usually does NOT want to be until late in the game and it's close.  Some day LeBron's heart and mind will catch up to his body and skills, when that day comes look out!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 02:21:06 PM »

Lebron is great but as long as this kind of marketing end of game crap goes on, the stats are skewed:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=280222005
Maybe the completely set defender is on the little arc, but it don't look like it.

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 02:31:23 PM »

LOL.  It's pretty obvious that he is not much of player for 43 minutes of the game since he and his team is in so many "clutch" situations.  LeBron is pretty much unstoppable when he wants to be, problem is he usually does NOT want to be until late in the game and it's close.  Some day LeBron's heart and mind will catch up to his body and skills, when that day comes look out!

LOL
30.2 PPG
8.2 RBS
7.5 AST
2.0 Stl
2.2 Ast/TO ratio
.484 FG%
7.7 FT made per game

Yeah he pretty much sucks for 43 minutes per game, and only picks it up in the last 5 minutes of close games.   ::)
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 02:36:25 PM »
nice ownage zig.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 03:56:11 PM »

LOL
30.2 PPG
8.2 RBS
7.5 AST
2.0 Stl
2.2 Ast/TO ratio
.484 FG%
7.7 FT made per game

Yeah he pretty much sucks for 43 minutes per game, and only picks it up in the last 5 minutes of close games.   ::)

No doubt he gets his numbers, as does Ray Allen and T-Mac, but do you watch him play?  I would put him above those two as far as all game intensity but he's not on the same level as KG and Kobe.  There is no doubt LeBron is a 3th quarter killer, I just wish he would play that way for the entire game. 

Did you see the last Lakers/Cavs game?  LeBron played terrific defense on Kobe on the last possesion, you rarely see that from LeBron, that is common practice from KG and Kobe.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 04:03:59 PM »
Some day LeBron's heart and mind will catch up to his body and skills, when that day comes look out!
  I agree 'Bron can improve like this but i also believe he already has.  Last two Laker games when Kobster tried guarding him one on one he roasted the Kobster for the game winners.

Fatigue has been a factor, having to be "the man" for the Cavs since he was 18 years old.  Lets see how much Ben Wallace and Scrubiak help.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 04:41:08 PM »
Some interesting things...

Manu is only player on both lists.

Harris is on the list for assists and Kidd isn't.

Jackson for Warriors shows up on the +/- list and Baron doesn't
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 06:00:18 PM »
I agree 'Bron can improve like this but i also believe he already has.  Last two Laker games when Kobster tried guarding him one on one he roasted the Kobster for the game winners.

I don't think LeBron is on Kobe or KG's level yet.  I have seen enough of LeBron to know he will eventually surpass both Kobe and MJ.  LeBron is simply a bigger, stronger and more athletic version Kobe and MJ.  I am sure with enough "bitter" experiences LeBron will get that 48 minute x 94 feet "killer" mentality, right now it's more like a 12 minute by 47 feet (the offensive end).
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 07:14:41 PM »
What impresses me is Ginobli's numbers.  He really elevates his game when it matters most.  The way he has played with Parker being out indicates to me that Manu is an All-Star.  Not only does he score at a high rate, he also makes a lot of assists in crunch time, which means he makes the other players better.

Clearly, Kobe and LeBron are the unstoppable players in the NBA, but I would say Kobe is ahead because LeBron does slack off at times and have a look of being completely disinterested.

Great thread!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 07:54:42 PM »
Cleveland's stats are high because they are always close games and I think have the most come from behind wins in the league.  Sure statistically they are the best in the league in the regular season but what about playoffs? 

I rather have Allen Iverson, Kobe Bryant, Chauncey Billups taking a clutch shot in the playoffs then Michael Redd, Ben Gordon, or Caron Butler.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 07:59:31 PM »
Some interesting things...

Manu is only player on both lists.

Harris is on the list for assists and Kidd isn't.

Actually Baron rollerskates his way to 2 spots higher than Jackson in +/-.

AA Mil

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 01:24:59 AM »

Actually Baron rollerskates his way to 2 spots higher than Jackson in +/-.

oops...missed that some how.   :'(
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues