Author Topic: Not on a roster by March 1st you cannot be on the playoff roster. True?  (Read 1238 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Durring the Laker game tonight the announcers stated that if you are not on a roster by March 1st you cannot participate in the playoffs?  They were speaking about Brent Barry in particular.  So did that mean that Barry and Stackhouse could not participate in the playoffs if they waited the 30 games to return to their team?  That does not seem right since it was pretty widely known that they would wait the 30 days and return to their teams and not one mention of the March 1st deadline from anywhere.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline atom2030

• AOL Instant Messenger - atom2030
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tomp22000
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Not on a roster by March 1st you cannot be on the playoff roster. True?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 03:47:15 AM »
that's true.

I remember a few seasons back some team (Bulls?) pissing a player off badly because they cut him on March 3rd or so, making him unavailable to sign with someone for the playoffs. But i'm sure the Spurs are well aware of that.

And I'm sure the rest of the league thinks it's damn right ...
===============================
Felix Skydivers '13
In honor of Felix Baumgartners adventures
... and not just because he's Austrian too

xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 10:04:40 AM »
that's true.

I remember a few seasons back some team (Bulls?) pissing a player off badly because they cut him on March 3rd or so, making him unavailable to sign with someone for the playoffs. But i'm sure the Spurs are well aware of that.

And I'm sure the rest of the league thinks it's damn right ...

So Barry cannot particapte in the playoffs with the Spurs?  That sounds right since I heard so much about the Spurs keeping Barry out of the hands of a competitor.  I am surprised this didn't come up with Stackhouse, had he waited 30 days to go back to Dallas he would not have been able to play for them in the playoffs.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 10:40:47 AM »
No the rule is:

If no team claims a waived player, he is said to have "cleared waivers."  The player may sign with a new team of his choice, and the player's prior team continues to pay the guaranteed portion of the terminated contract (see question number 90 for more information).  The player's salary with his new team is a matter of negotiation.  Few players are actually claimed while on waivers, since the team claiming a waived player inherits his entire contract.  It is far more common for teams to wait for the player to clear waivers, and then sign him to a much smaller (even minimum salary) contract.

If a player is waived after March 1, he is ineligible to be included in the playoff roster of any team that signs him for the remainder of that season.

If a team trades a player and the player is waived by the receiving team, the player's original team cannot re-sign that player for 30 days (during the season) or 20 days (during the offseason) following the date of the trade.

So it is not signing after March 1 but whether the player was waived before March 1.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues