Author Topic: Grizz GM explains the Gasol trade.  (Read 1553 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Grizz GM explains the Gasol trade.
« on: February 03, 2008, 04:12:57 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&id=3226776

What were the Grizzlies thinking? The GM explains
By Chris Sheridan
ESPN.com

Updated: January 17, 2008

When the pundits were throwing around the phrase "executive of the year" Friday after the Los Angeles Lakers acquired Pau Gasol, they weren't talking about Chris Wallace.

No, the general manager of the Memphis Grizzlies was more apt to draw comparisons to Rob Babcock.

But before we all start equating Wallace with the ex-Toronto Raptors GM whose career will be defined by his trade of Vince Carter for two No. 1s and two warm bodies (Eric Williams and Aaron Williams, along with Alonzo Mourning, who refused to report to Toronto and was bought out), let's give the man in Memphis a chance to explain what he and the Grizzlies were thinking.

Was this really the best deal out there? And why make it now, three weeks before the trading deadline?

"Well, we've been trolling these waters for a while, we've dealt with a number of teams and I didn't see that it would get any better than this," Wallace told ESPN.com Friday night in a telephone interview. "We got what was pretty much the biggest expiring contract out there [Kwame Brown], a player we like in Javaris Crittendon, two No. 1 picks and Pau Gasol's brother [Marc Gasol], who we think would be a high No. 1 pick if he came out this year instead of last year.

"So we're looking at it like we're getting four No. 1 picks," Wallace said.

Wallace also emphatically denied that the deal with the Lakers, in which Memphis acquired Brown, Crittendon, Aaron McKie, the rights to Marc Gasol and two future No. 1 picks, was ordered by owner Michael Heisley to make the Grizzlies more attractive to a potential buyer. Heisley has been trying to sell the franchise for nearly two years, and the $49 million obligation to Gasol over the next three seasons could have been viewed, for purposes of a franchise sale, as more of a liability than an asset.

"Heisley did not push me to do this," Wallace said. "No one put pressure on me to do this, and Michael Heisley has actually been reluctant to move Pau. So this wasn't about enhancing franchise value."

Wallace estimated the Grizzlies could be about $17 million under the salary cap in the summer of 2009 if they refrain from using their space over the upcoming summer and fill out next year's roster with players on one-year contracts.

Acknowledging the logjam at point guard, Wallace said he does not anticipate going into next season with Crittenton, Kyle Lowry and Mike Conley all on the roster.

"It'll be like locking the three of them in a room. We'll see which two come out, and we'll move the other guy," Wallace said.

As for Mike Miller, whom many expect to be the next high-salaried Memphis player to be moved (he makes $8.2 million this season and $18.8 over the next two), Wallace acknowledged there has been plenty of interest but cautioned: "I'm not trading him for nothing. I can see us going forward with him."

Wallace also said he spoke privately Friday with Gasol's best friend on the Grizzlies, Juan Carlos Navarro, and encouraged him to play hard and try to enhance his value as he enters restricted free agency this summer. Navarro's longterm future with Memphis will be impacted by which direction the Grizzlies go in the draft, Wallace said.

"I told him face to face: 'We don't see you as joined at the hip with Pau. You're entertaining, the fans love you, you're playing in the rookie game and our interest in you continues,'" Wallace said.

Chris Sheridan covers the NBA for ESPN Insider. To e-mail Chris, click here.

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: Grizz GM explains the Gasol trade.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 04:20:38 PM »
Pau Gasol's brother [Marc Gasol], who we think would be a high No. 1 pick if he came out this year instead of last year.

He's on crack.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 04:45:03 PM »
He's on crack.
Along with 98% of the rest of his spin being cracky.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 10:48:35 PM »
Forgot about the Heisley angle.  He has been trying to sell them forever.  There ya go.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 11:56:57 AM »
This is the part I have a real problem believing:

"Well, we've been trolling these waters for a while, we've dealt with a number of teams and I didn't see that it would get any better than this," Wallace told ESPN.com Friday night in a telephone interview. "We got what was pretty much the biggest expiring contract out there [Kwame Brown], a player we like in Javaris Crittendon, two No. 1 picks and Pau Gasol's brother [Marc Gasol], who we think would be a high No. 1 pick if he came out this year instead of last year.

Trolling these waters for a while- did anyone else here any news anywhere before this was announced?  Usually Hubie Brown or somebody hears something about a team trying to move a player.  In an case like this where Gasol had been making noise about wanting a trade, you would think that a lot of teams would have come forth with an offer.

Didn't see it would get any better.....  Let's see your trading a top 10 PF for unproven talent and you didn't think it would get better!?   If the franchise wasn't up for sale, he'd be fired.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 12:27:36 PM »
Trolling these waters for a while- did anyone else here any news anywhere before this was announced?  Usually Hubie Brown or somebody hears something about a team trying to move a player.  In an case like this where Gasol had been making noise about wanting a trade, you would think that a lot of teams would have come forth with an offer.

Didn't see it would get any better.....  Let's see your trading a top 10 PF for unproven talent and you didn't think it would get better!?   If the franchise wasn't up for sale, he'd be fired.

Since you are not a GM in the league I'm sure there are tons of potential moves you don't hear about.  While there are supposed "outsiders" who have "insider" contacts, they are also not getting the calls.  Why would a team with half a brian make their intentions known, that would only lower your ability to negotiate.  It makes perfect sense that an expiring contract was a major goal they are tying to accomplish but I agree they should have been able to get more.  Then again look at the loopsided trades that have gone down recently, being a Sixers fan you don't have to look too far.

I'm not sure if it was in the article but ever since some "guy" took over the Grizz they have been making almost strickly cost cutting moves.  That had not carried over into personnel until now but following the pattern since that "guy" took over it makes sense that it finally spilled over into player moves.  In the end they are trying to cut costs so they can make the team more attractive to a potential buyer.  So be it, the Lakers won out and most other teams/fans are upset cause they fell asleep at the switch or didn't give up enough or the right mix to get Gasol.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 12:44:22 PM »
^^ what a croc of crap.

We had conversations with Chicago which were non-satisfactory," Heisley said in the Commercial-Appeal. "They didn't want to take on the luxury-tax situation and Los Angeles was. In this league, if you're in a big-market area you can afford to do those things.
Except the Lakers were not put above the luxury-tax situation by this collusion.

"We negotiated as hard as we could for quality players and (the Bulls) refused to give up anybody in their core group. What they offered us were guys who play on the second and third team, so we turned them down."
Oh so instead you took core group 1st teamers Kwame Brown and.....hmmn what did the Bulls offer again?
The Bulls thought they had a deal a few weeks ago to obtain Gasol in exchange for Andres Nocioni and other pieces, but the Grizzlies insisted the Bulls take another bad contract, most likely Brian Cardinal, in return.

"What we started to see was that we weren't going to get an elite player coming back," said Memphis general manager Chris Wallace. "Rather than take a 'name' player that wasn't going to get us where we wanted to go, we preferred to get picks and salary-cap room." Andres Nocioni or Kwamster Brown?  What a tough decision.

Same Chris Wallace who not only traded Vince Carter for two No. 1s and two warm bodies (Eric Williams and Aaron Williams, along with Alonzo Mourning), but also took on Vince Bakers contract?
 :D :D

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 01:03:21 PM »
I read a book about Red Auerbach that the author told from the point of view of attending the famed "lunch gathering" that Red used to organize in D.C. for close friends and family.  Anyways, the author goes into some detail about the backstory of all the attendees of these lunches that happened at the same Chinese restaurant, on the same day, every single week.  One of the attendees was Chris Wallace, described as a young, wide-eyed journalist just happy to be around Red and the crew.  Its a darn shape the man didn't get one single iota of intelligence and saavy from a guy like Red Auerback having attended all those lunches for at least a decade.  I think Red would be the first guy to tell him he got taken for a ride and left like a cheap prom date; only Red probably wouldn't have said it that nice.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 02:24:43 PM »
^^ what a croc of crap.

We had conversations with Chicago which were non-satisfactory," Heisley said in the Commercial-Appeal. "They didn't want to take on the luxury-tax situation and Los Angeles was. In this league, if you're in a big-market area you can afford to do those things.
Except the Lakers were not put above the luxury-tax situation by this collusion.

"We negotiated as hard as we could for quality players and (the Bulls) refused to give up anybody in their core group. What they offered us were guys who play on the second and third team, so we turned them down."
Oh so instead you took core group 1st teamers Kwame Brown and.....hmmn what did the Bulls offer again?
The Bulls thought they had a deal a few weeks ago to obtain Gasol in exchange for Andres Nocioni and other pieces, but the Grizzlies insisted the Bulls take another bad contract, most likely Brian Cardinal, in return.

"What we started to see was that we weren't going to get an elite player coming back," said Memphis general manager Chris Wallace. "Rather than take a 'name' player that wasn't going to get us where we wanted to go, we preferred to get picks and salary-cap room." Andres Nocioni or Kwamster Brown?  What a tough decision.

Same Chris Wallace who not only traded Vince Carter for two No. 1s and two warm bodies (Eric Williams and Aaron Williams, along with Alonzo Mourning), but also took on Vince Bakers contract?
 :D :D

You seem to miss the point again -- Memphis didn't WANT Nocioni -- Memphis didn't want Kwame -- Memphis wanted an expiring contract when it appeared that they weren't going to get anything legit in return for Gasol.

This trade has EVERYTHING to do with a firesale in Memphis -- they are going to be bottom dwellers even after the sale of the team (are they going to stay in Memphis? -- I doubt it).  Would you want Nocioni for Pau Gasol?  I sure wouldn't!  Not when I'm trying to clear out salary and Nocioni just sign a 5 year $38 mill contract this past summer.  This just doesn't EVEN make sense for you to bring up -- there are a TON of teams that could have offered expiring contracts and better draft picks than the Lakers had.  I heard Wallace make the comment that the reason they went with the Lakers was due to the fact that they could get the rights to Marc Gasol who is playing in Spain right now (in addition to the two draft picks and Crittendom).  When you are having a fire sale, you LIKE rights to people that you don't have to pay a salary to.  I'm really surprised that you don't see the reason why Memphis would want Marc Gasol, based on the Euro conversion chart you came up with, Marc is going to be a All-Star in the NBA in the future (perhaps even a Hall-of-Famer).

I'm not trying to defend the trade -- it was a HORRIBLE trade (although it HAS brought me a great bit of laughter knowing how sick this trade must make you as the Lakers suddenly rise to the top of the league -- not just for this year but for years to come!!!) but as a Laker fan, it's a GREAT trade!  You didn't seem to think it was wrong when the lottery ball "overcame the odds" and picked the Spurs, did you?  Oh, what am I saying, you weren't a Spurs fan then -- what team were you a fan of then?  You crack me up, Reality, do you go through your entire wardrobe every day just to make sure that you aren't wearing anything that could be misconstrued as purple or gold?

Actually, Rick, I saw that the Lakers had already been in talks with Memphis about Gasol and decided to pursue it again when Bynum went down -- I am sure that there were tons of other teams interested in Gasol as well.  When you are going to make THIS bad a trade (getting rid of a player without getting anything back in return), perhaps you just change your dart board from numbers to NBA teams, close your eyes and throw the dart.  It's about as good to explaining it as you can get (and ANY of the trades that ESPN listed were going to be bad ones).

It is amazing how much fortune has come to teams who have put up with Kwame Brown -- the Wizards got rid of him (already making them a better team) and got a great player in Butler -- the Lakers got rid of him (already making them a better team) and got Pau Gasol.  Face it, Kwame Brown is like a genie that teams have to sign to get a chance to rub the magic lamp!!!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 03:16:07 PM »
^^ what a croc of crap.

I guess it's over your head.  For the reason Randy explained not to mention the Grizz GM mentioned "...the biggest expiring contract out there...".  You don't understand the points others on this board have made regarding "cap space" so I wouldn't expect you to understand the value of Kwame's contract and how it ties into the Grizz "budgeting" for the sake of making the team more attractive to buyers. 

YAWN
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"