Author Topic: Talk around the Laker water cooler, Bynum could be out all season.  (Read 1054 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
A couple of co-workers were saying that the trade for Gasol could mean the injury to Bynum is much worse than initially reported.  There are already reports of Bynum taking longer than 2 months to recover and he could be shut down for the rest of the season to prevent a career ending re-injury.

I called BS on that thought line because even if Bynum was not hurt you STILL make that trade if you're the Lakers.  I know Gasol is very talented on offense, I just don't know much about his defense.  If the Lakers get back Bynum and Ariza and if Walton can get healthy enough to stop being a day to day decision, then the Lakers are definately a championship contendor.  While the Lakers had a shot at beating the Suns, Mavs and Jazz before the trade, a healthy Lakers squad should be favored against those guys and I am liking the Lakers chances against the Spurs, I might even consider the Lakers the favorites now.  Kobe/Gasol/Odom/Bynum/Fish should be able to go up against anyone in the league, and IMO the Lakers would be the favorites.  Still, the Spurs seem to be the biggest challenge, Boston will go down in flames in the playoffs.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Talk around the Laker water cooler, Bynum could be out all season.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 05:37:51 PM »
I think it is nothing more then water cooler talk.  They keep interviewing Bynum every other game about it and he seems to be upbeat.  I think if that was the case he would look a little bit more depressed.  Plus he is still pretty young.  Maybe the old farts you work with this injuries last for 6 months but for us younger guys then tend to heal up quicker.

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 05:42:37 PM »
Maybe the old farts you work with this injuries last for 6 months but for us younger guys then tend to heal up quicker.

:D :D :D :D :D :D .....err wait... shut up PUNK!  I don't need no lip from someone who's nuts haven't even dropped!

The talk ONLY started after the Gasol trade, so yea hard to put much weight on it.  With Gasol on board the Lakers don't need to rush Bynum back into action.  I still can't believe we got a top 10 PF for next to nothing.  I would really like to see Bynum pick up some Euro foot work from Gasol and for Gasol to learn some traditional defensive foot work and positioning from Kareem.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 06:28:23 PM »
Maybe the old farts you work with this injuries last for 6 months but for us younger guys then tend to heal up quicker.

:D :D :D :D :D :D .....err wait... shut up PUNK!  I don't need no lip from someone who's nuts haven't even dropped!

The talk ONLY started after the Gasol trade, so yea hard to put much weight on it.  With Gasol on board the Lakers don't need to rush Bynum back into action.  I still can't believe we got a top 10 PF for next to nothing.  I would really like to see Bynum pick up some Euro foot work from Gasol and for Gasol to learn some traditional defensive foot work and positioning from Kareem.

It would make more sense if they went out and got a lesser player just to get a player....  Like say Brendon Hayward   ;D  Then I would be like hmmm, they are worried about their front line because they look desperate.

They however had the chance to get a solid player and they would have picked up Gasol if Bynum was hurt or not IMO.  If you have a chance to trade a bag of crap for a turkey dinner, you do that.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 06:48:24 PM »
If you have a chance to trade a bag of crap for a turkey dinner, you do that.

IMO the Grizz didn't even get the bag.....  :D
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 07:05:07 PM »
You old farts must have been right about something.  Ric Buhler (spelling?) was saying something similar yesterday.  Guess it is more then a rumor at this point but not quite official?!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 03:07:14 AM »
You old farts must have been right about something.  Ric Buhler (spelling?) was saying something similar yesterday.  Guess it is more then a rumor at this point but not quite official?!

Just a week after the trade I heard talk about shutting Bynum down for the rest of the year.  The plan was to get Bynum a couple of regular season "rust off" games and then bring him on for the playoffs if needed.  My concern was that if people were talking about protecting Bynum this year then the injury was probably more serious than reported.  IMO Gasol gives the Lakers everything Bynum gave plus more, then again rebounding and off ball defense is what Bynum was really excelling at but based on just numbers the Lakers would be better off with Gasol even if Bynum doesn't return.  Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Bynum back with the twin towers line up but IMO the Lakers have eased the pain of losing Bynum possibly for the rest of the year.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 09:10:17 PM »
They just interviewed Kareem on AM570 on they asked about Bynum.  He said they are just waiting on the rehab to go, said that there is no real damage and the trainers/Bynum are working hard to get him back.  He kind of hinted to the fact that you will see Bynum/Gasol tandum this regular season.  Nothing official though.