Author Topic: Who is the most Jordanesque player in the NBA?  (Read 1574 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Who is the most Jordanesque player in the NBA?
« on: January 03, 2008, 01:27:23 PM »
That is, who is the guy who reminds you most of the way MJ played- defense, offense, etc.  Currently playing in the NBA.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Who is the most Jordanesque player in the NBA?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 01:39:30 PM »
That is, who is the guy who reminds you most of the way MJ played- defense, offense, etc.  Currently playing in the NBA.

That's easy, Kobe.  T-Mac is MJesque on offense but not much on D.  Artest is MJesque on D, in your face I dare you to score on my type attitude as opposed to quiet killer Bowen but Artests O is very limited.  Kobe IMO is more talented on O and less on D but he's the closest.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 03:20:40 PM »
Agreed, this is easy:  Kobe Bryant.  Right down to the annoying superior attitude.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 03:37:35 PM »
Definitely Kobe, but IMO a close second is Andre Iguodala.

Jordon was known for all types of things, but the thing that always stood out was his ability to score when he had to.  Certainly, he took shots that no-one else would dare attempt- for fear they would miss and get benched.  Kobe has the same willingness to take those shots.

Andre is not as egotistical as either MJ or Kobe, but he is developing a similar game- acrobatic shots, desperation last second buzzer beaters from half-court, athletic dunks, good floor presence and the ability to come up with steals.

Just for kicks I did a heads-up comparison between Kobe and Andre and as it turns out they are very similar. Kobe scores a lot more points on average, but they shoot the same percentage.  Assists, Rebounds, and Blocks are so close that it's uncanny.

Another player I thought would be mentioned would be Lebron, but he is a little bigger than the others mentioned, and MJ himself.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 03:56:09 PM »
Definitely Kobe, but IMO a close second is Andre Iguodala.

Jordon was known for all types of things, but the thing that always stood out was his ability to score when he had to.  Certainly, he took shots that no-one else would dare attempt- for fear they would miss and get benched.  Kobe has the same willingness to take those shots.
As to regular season scoring title pursuits, agree Kobe easy.  His turnaround fadeaways are patterned after Joran 100%.

If we are talking playoff and championship hoop, DWade 2006 playoffs.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 04:06:57 PM »
IMO Iggs is not Kobe or MJ like, he's more of a Clyde Drexler.  Kobe and MJ are smooth operators, Igs and the Glide had an athletic akwardness about their movements and game.  Similiar to Kareem/Wilts type of movement vs Shaq.  Shaq moves like you and me except he's a giant.  Kareem/Wilt/Drexler/Igs move like a "tall" person.  T-Mac also moves "tall" as opposed to DWade and LeBron.

IMO Bron has a limited offensive game and very little D.  The thing with Bron is he doesn't need to be more creative to be effective, he's just such and unguardable combo of size, speed and strength that he can pretty much waltz down the lane and score.  Bron is a very different player than MJ, he's more of a Magic/MJ hybrid.  Limited long range game and D but he has everything else.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 04:10:12 PM »
If we are talking playoff and championship hoop, DWade 2006 playoffs.

Agreed, DWade got MJ like love from the refs vs Dallas.  I have never seen a player get so much love on obvious no-calls than DWade in the finals.  If I was a Mavs fan I would have destroyed my TV set.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"