Author Topic: Seattle Supersonics intention to move to Oklahoma City announced today.  (Read 1243 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
http://www.koco.com/news/14494879/detail.html

Bennett Files Papers To Move Seattle Sonics To OKC

POSTED: 10:39 am CDT November 2, 2007
UPDATED: 2:55 pm CDT November 2, 2007

SEATTLE -- The owner of the Seattle Supersonics announced on Friday that he is filing relocation papers with the NBA to move his franchise to Oklahoma City, authorities said.

"Today we notified commissioner (David) Stern that we intend to relocate the Sonics to Oklahoma City if we succeed in the pending litigation with the city, or are able to negotiate an early lease termination, or at the end of the lease term," Bennett said in a lengthy statement.

A group of Seattle businessmen sent inquiries to Bennett about an offer to buy the Sonics and save the basketball team for the city. A spokesman said the group sent a letter to Bennett expressing its interest and asking for a meeting. Bennett reaffirmed his position that the Sonics are not for sale.

The group is led by Dennis Daugs, managing director of Lakeside Capital Management. He's a former minority owner of the NBA franchise.

The letter said his group wants the Sonics to continue to play in Key Arena and avoid a legal fight with the city.

Bennett's group of Oklahoma City businessmen bought the team last year for $350 million.

Filing relocation papers with the NBA is merely the first step in a process that could see the team at the Ford Center as early as next season. Oklahoma City played host to the New Orleans Hornets for the 2005-06 and 2006-07 seasons.

In his statement, Bennett said it's possible that the WNBA Seattle Storm might stay in Seattle.
Copyright 2007 by koco.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Seattle Supersonics intention to move to Oklahoma City announced today.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 03:25:22 PM »
Unless some behind the scenes shenanigans takes place, City of Seattle has Sonics locked into that lease until 2010.
My bet is Bennet will offer some huge under the table bucks to councilmen-mayor/judge.
Seattle residents are fed up after funding new stadiums for both Seahawks and Mariners.
A brand new seprate facility for all three teams?

Altho an Indian tribe with a huge chunk of land is talking about offering up the land in exchange for a piece of the pie.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 10:40:22 AM »
ESPN polled the basketball fans in the US if the Sonics should move an a majority of the people said they should not.  Only states where people agreed the most is in Ark and one of the great lake states (forget which one now)
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 11:24:51 AM »
I'm not familiar with the situation, but see no reason why the Sonics should prefer Oklahoma City to Seattle.  As I recall whenever the Sonics had a decent team the fans supported them and filled the seats. They have a long history in the area and a huge fan base that deserves better.

It does seem unfair that the City/State built stadiums for the Mariners and Seahawks, but won't build one, or work out a deal with the Supersonics.

I kind of hope the NBA says NO to the Sonics and prevents them from moving.  I really hate that sports franchises can hold cities for ransom and then pack up and move the the city with the highest offer. On the other hand, if I was the owner of a team I'd want to go where I could get the best deal.

Past history shows that teams can get away with moves like this and benefit from it, like the Colts leaving Baltimore for Indianapolis, not to mention all the NBA teams that have moved- particularly the Cincinnati Royals who first moved to Kansas City and then Sacramento.

But in this instance, we don't have an old or dying city or even one in decline.  Seattle is as healthy a market as any other, and I would think the players would much prefer to stay in the Northwest then to move to OK.  Jeeze, I mean they don't even have a baseball or football team there.

Maybe that's the draw for the Sonics, no pro-sports competition.  Have to admit it worked very well for the San Antonio Spurs.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 12:49:24 AM »
I don't see the benefit of moving to Oklahoma City instead of Seattle.  Are they going to get a new stadium?!  I don't quite get why the owner wants to move the team so bad.  I thought Seattle is a pretty decent small market sports city.  The Mariners have die hard fans as do the Seahawks (although a lot less).  Maybe that is problem?  That no matter what the Sonics do they will always be second fiddle to the Mariners and Seahawks...both to the city and the fans.  That is the only thing I can think of.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com