Author Topic: Kobe trade cont.  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Kobe trade cont.
« on: October 15, 2007, 02:55:25 PM »
Slow day.
Josh Howard and Devin Harris for the Kobester.
Lakers, are you buying after Buss comments last week?

Are you glad Portland would not take Kobester for Greg Oden now?

Should give it a go with relatively healthy Kwame, Odom and Mihm.  See how it's going before the trade deadline or just cut their losses now and start the rebuild? 

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kobe trade cont.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 03:10:45 PM »
Slow day.
Josh Howard and Devin Harris for the Kobester.

:D

That cracked my shit up.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 04:35:18 PM »
That's seriously as good as it gets at this point.
Other then my offer of Parker/Eva, Fabs and Barry which they will not get a better offer, period.  Otherwise keep Kobester and happy .500 ball till he bails in UFA.  Buss will surely make some kind of a deal before losing Kobe, but it's looking quite Shaqish at this point.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 07:56:40 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Thomas-not-interested-in-adding-Kobe?urn=nba,49097

I saw this and I almost fell off my chair laughing.  Isiah isn't interested in Kobe??, "he's in no hurry to break up the Zach Randolph-Eddie Curry dynamo".  If that is true, how utterly stupid is that???  You want Zach and not Kobe???  The Zach Randolph-Eddie Curry dynamo???  Never thought I would ever hear that uttered in public.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 02:19:40 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Thomas-not-interested-in-adding-Kobe?urn=nba,49097

I saw this and I almost fell off my chair laughing.  Isiah isn't interested in Kobe??, "he's in no hurry to break up the Zach Randolph-Eddie Curry dynamo".  If that is true, how utterly stupid is that???  You want Zach and not Kobe???  The Zach Randolph-Eddie Curry dynamo???  Never thought I would ever hear that uttered in public.

HAHAHAHA..Worse then Reality' proposed trade.

What Isiah really meant was 'I don't want any competition when it comes to sexual harasing white women in the area'
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
The Lakers are circuling the drain
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 12:26:45 AM »
Kobe sits out again, denies cleaning out locker
'If I’m here, I’m ready to strap it up,' says Lakers star

Updated: 9:04 p.m. ET Oct. 16, 2007
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. - Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant sat out practice for the third straight day Tuesday, then denied a report that he had cleaned out his locker — a story carried by several local news outlets.

Bryant spoke for less than two minutes in the parking lot of the team’s practice facility. Previously, he had said very little to reporters since Jerry Buss stated last week in Honolulu that he “would certainly listen” to trade offers for the NBA’s scoring leader.

“I don’t know, talk to Mitch and Mr. Buss about that,” Bryant replied when asked if he had played his final game for the Lakers, referring to general manager Mitch Kupchak and the team’s owner. “I’m just getting ready. If I’m here, I’m ready to strap it up.”

Bryant asked to be traded 4½ months ago, then avoided speaking about the Lakers until the beginning of training camp Oct. 1, when he talked more positively, saying he was looking forward to the season.

“My job is to play the game and get ready to play the game,” he said Tuesday. “That’s what I’m doing. I guess people are just intrigued by what’s going on around here. I understand that. I have a job to do. One thing I said at training camp was that I didn’t want this to be a distraction.”

When asked whether he was unsettled by recent events, Bryant said: “It’s our understanding not to bring up the situation and not talk about it. We just wanted to keep things quiet and go about our business. It kind of caught me off guard a little bit.

“We’ve just got to get back to basics and get ready and go from there. It’s my job to play basketball. It’s not my job to worry about what management is doing or this, that or the other thing. I’m going to be ready and let them do their jobs.”

Lakers coach Phil Jackson said Bryant sat out practice Tuesday “by mutual agreement.”

“He’s in the training room,” Jackson said. “I think that’s about all I’ll say. He asked me about resting his legs, but I think he’s OK.”

Slide show: Week in Sports Pictures

Week in Sports Pictures
Sea swimming, baseball playoff drama, rugby pileups and more.

Jackson said he didn’t know whether Bryant would play Thursday night when the Lakers face the Seattle SuperSonics in Bakersfield — the first of six exhibition games in nine days. The coach also said he didn’t know if Bryant would accompany the team if he doesn’t play.

Jackson said he couldn’t comment when asked if Bryant had played his final game as a member of the Lakers.

“I don’t know that at all. Who knows that? There’s certain things that have to be discussed and I think they will be,” Jackson said. “There’s nothing imminent. I’m on the inside of this, so I know all the statements before you ask the questions. We can’t project anything right now. I think there’s a certain progression of things we have to go through.”

Bryant has four years, worth $88.6 million, left on his contract, but can terminate the deal in two years, leaving $47.8 million on the table.

And.......................

Kobe circus will be intolerable for Lakers
Team left with little choice but to trade their star now

Did Kobe Bryant burp? Or was it just a hiccup? Such is the craziness of the situation with the Lakers.

By Michael Ventre
MSNBC contributor
Updated: 12:32 a.m. ET Oct. 17, 2007

Michael Ventre

Multiple sources close to the Lakers Tuesday suggested that Kobe Bryant may have burped. Television and radio stations in Los Angeles, as well as print media and bloggers, differed as to whether it was a full-throated belch or a barely audible baby croak, with some even claiming it was actually a hiccup.

When asked about the alleged burp, coach Phil Jackson said, “I can’t comment on that. We’re just playing basketball, that’s all we’re doing.” When asked if he expected Bryant to burp again, Jackson replied, “I can’t comment on that either.” Before getting into his car after practice, Bryant — obviously reluctant to confirm the burp rumor — refused to say, “Excuse me” or “Pardon me” and referred the matter to his agent.

What transpired Tuesday might as well have been a burp, a sneeze, a cough, a spilled can of soda, a car ding or sundry other mundane happenings that afflict humans on a daily basis. Of course, when something happens to Kobe Bryant in the context of his employment with the Lakers, no development is too insignificant.

On Tuesday, it was widely reported in the Los Angeles area that Bryant had cleaned out his locker. That created speculation that he was about to be traded. According to reports, some items did appear to be missing, and when pressed, Jackson even admitted that Bryant’s locker looked more spare than usual.

Here is a Hall of Fame basketball coach who is tied with Red Auerbach for NBA championships with nine and earns $10 million per season and he’s reduced to monitoring the item count in Bryant’s locker. This is what it’s come to.

This is not to ridicule those members of the Fourth Estate and their distant cousins on the lunatic fringe who ran with the burp, er, locker rumor. In fact, Lockergate comes on the heels of Bryant asking out of consecutive practices to rest his legs. And Jackson was cryptic even for him on Tuesday, turning a simple question about whether Bryant would accompany the team to Bakersfield Thursday for an exhibition game into the kind of stonewalling usually reserved for Justice Department attorneys testifying on Capitol Hill.

The mood, the vibe, the climate, the sixth sense, all suggest something’s not copacetic in Laker Nation. The first clue came in the spring when Kobe appeared on every media outlet with an FCC license and a transmitter and blasted the organization for not doing enough to surround him with a championship-caliber team, a tirade that included calling owner Jerry Buss an “idiot” and mocking young center Andrew Bynum on an amateur video.

Then there was Buss himself, who last week dropped a bombshell by saying he would consider trading Kobe, that he would listen if the right offer came along, that nobody is untouchable. That was Buss assuming the Michael Corleone role and looking upon Kobe as brother Fredo. And we all know what happened to Fredo.

Buss’ statement was a declaration of war. He was letting everyone know that when Bryant told the world he felt betrayed by Buss, the Lakers owner thus felt betrayed back. Buss is known as an aging playboy, an avid poker player, a quiet lover of life who enjoys presiding over the Lakers but who is content to sit in a luxury box high atop the hardwood with a bevy of beauties and a shaker full of cocktails and let his basketball people run the show — with his input, of course.

But there is another side to Buss, a no-nonsense side with a prideful streak. He is a successful businessman who enjoys competing and winning, and no matter what anyone thinks of his team’s recent fortunes, he does not like to be made a fool of by an employee, even one in the midst of a $136 million contract.

So when Buss made his pronouncement about Bryant, he touched off a frenzy of vigils, office pools and a scrum for information by reporters. The locker just happened to represent the most recent evidence of discontent and impending upheaval. Get used to it.

It seems obvious that although Buss only broke the moratorium on Kobe comments recently, he has been stewing about this for weeks. And perhaps he and the loose-knit coalition of advisors that purports to be running the team — his son, Jim Buss, his general manager, Mitch Kupchak, Jackson and Jeanie Buss, who is his daughter and Jackson’s turtledove — have been burning the phone lines seeking a deal for their narcissistic superstar all along.

Trading Kobe Bryant, regarded by most to be the game’s best player, may seem insanely stupid, especially after the club already dealt away Shaquille O’Neal. Now there’s a legacy for you, dumping two Hall of Famers within three years of each other. That makes the Portland Trail Blazers passing on Michael Jordan seem like a decision grounded in common sense.

But what really jumps out first is not that trading Kobe is dumb or smart, but rather that it’s inevitable. There is no choice. Bryant can opt out of his contract in two years, and basically threatened to do so if his trade demand wasn’t met. He is the second most self-absorbed professional athlete playing today, behind Barry Bonds, and he is not the kind of individual to let bygones be bygones.

If the Lakers don’t get moving now on moving this guy, they’ll have to deal with more locker stories, each and every day. When Kobe misses a practice because of a bout with indigestion, it will be interpreted that a trade is imminent. When he tweaks an ankle and leaves a game in the first quarter, it will be seen as the Lakers protecting him for his new team.

The distraction level figures to reach intolerable before November gives way to December, or, more likely, before October gives way to November.

In truth, Kobe Bryant’s locker is getting emptier by the minute.

Michael Ventre is a contributor to msnbc.com and a freelance writer based in Los Angeles.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 12:29:26 AM by WayOutWest »
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 03:55:20 PM »
Remember when Michael Ventre was the guy tooting the horn on the Lakers bandwagon all those years ago.  Those were the days...much better times for us Laker fans :D

The Lakers couldn't even land a decent free agent this off-season and people think they are going to be able to come up with a trade that doesn't cripple this team by shipping off the best perimeter player in the game?  Let's not kid ourselves here.  The Lakers front office is wishing upon a lucky star that last years team only failed because of constant injuries to key players.  Not because of made decisions made on their part (like Radman, dealing Bynum, and multiple other wiffs).

Let's not even get into the business side of getting people to sit in the seats.   The last two years the average LA fan, the people the NBA tries to go after, were not going to games because the Lakers were playing championship caliber basketball that is for sure.

Kobe rarely plays all the pre-season games anyways.  In the past he's missed multiple games, no big deal.  I wish the media could let them start the season drama free.   How come NFL doesn't get covered with more bs drama then the NBA does?!  Is that another thread?

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 04:47:55 PM »
How come NFL doesn't get covered with more bs drama then the NBA does?!  Is that another thread?

Because the NFL has a hard salary cap, which is really tough to work around.  Therefore, there are fewer trades and less buzz.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 04:48:50 PM »
Caleb once answered that last question in a great way:

The NBA markets PLAYERS - LeBron, Kobe, Iverson, Jordan.  MLB markets TEAMS - Cardinals, Yankees, Cubs, Red Sox.  The NFL markets "the NFL game" - "Today's NFL game is..."

The NFL is the one doing it the right way.

The NBA is the worst.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline atom2030

• AOL Instant Messenger - atom2030
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tomp22000
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 08:18:29 AM »
disagree some.

sure, the hype around certain guys is bothersome to the max, but in the end it's the players that are what the public, especiall the kids (aka future prospects) wants to see. Do you hoestly want to hit it like the Sox? Do you want to run for a touchdown like some NFL running back? Or do you want to score like Mike, shoot it like RayRay, dunk like Dwight, or defend like Kirk?

Sorry, but IT IS the players who are vital for the league, and for the identification.

Btw, this is NO discussion what's more important, player or team. There's no doubt TEAMS win titles, players can only take you so far ...
===============================
Felix Skydivers '13
In honor of Felix Baumgartners adventures
... and not just because he's Austrian too

xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 12:22:50 PM »
Caleb once answered that last question in a great way:

Well Joe, Caleb answered wrong.  Both the NBA and MLB market players.  For some reason MLB players seem to get a pass on things in the media, but that is starting to change.  One reason the NFL does not market players as much as the NBA is because it's very difficult for fans to make a personal connection to players because they wear all that gear.  That's not my opinion, that was one of the conclusions of a marketing study of jersey and merchandise sales done a few years back.  A couple of other interesting facts come of it in regards to black and white players appeal to the "average" fan.  The NFL markets teams as much as any of the other big 3, otherwise why do the Raiders and Cowboys get so much air time when they suck?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 04:02:54 PM »
You can't really market games that take multiple players to play (baseball, football) to a game that you can play by yourself.  Baseball takes at least two people just to get the ball back and forth.  Football same thing.  Since basketball can be played alone a kid can dream of being Mike, Bird, or Magic on the black top.  I know I did.  Makes more sense if you are trying to sell merchandise like shoes which coolness comes from the players name or silhouette.

Sometimes I feel as if stories are fanned  by the NBA to try take some shine away from more important ones.  Why is what Kobe is doing in pre-season more important  then the whole ref fixing scandal?  Sounds a bit weird to me.  Why have then not issued how people should have faith in the game for this coming season why they test out policies we haven't heard about?  Anyone who likes basketball enough to care where Kobe is at in the pre-season probably cares about the credibility of the game. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 04:05:37 PM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 01:00:51 AM »
Anyone who likes basketball enough to care where Kobe is at in the pre-season probably cares about the credibility of the game. 

What can I do about the refs fixing games so the Spurs can to waltz out of the Western conference.  Crippling the Suns in order for the Spurs to get over the hump is beyond my control.  It's not like the Lakers even have a shot at getting robbed by the refs vs the Spurs in the playoffs anyway.  The Lakers may end up 9th in the WC.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2007, 01:49:55 PM »
Anyone who likes basketball enough to care where Kobe is at in the pre-season probably cares about the credibility of the game. 

What can I do about the refs fixing games so the Spurs can to waltz out of the Western conference.  Crippling the Suns in order for the Spurs to get over the hump is beyond my control.  It's not like the Lakers even have a shot at getting robbed by the refs vs the Spurs in the playoffs anyway.  The Lakers may end up 9th in the WC.

Nothing but if you care enough to know what Kobe had for lunch before practice today then you care to hear news from the NBA regarding what they are doing to prevent this from happening again...

9th?  Must have had too much Patron last night.    The Lakers are taking the title this year.  Did you see the moves Mitch, Buss, and the front office made?  We have George Karl's son, Derek Fisher, a really tall Asian guy, a guy who looks and plays like Kwame Brown (yes I am not joking), and Sasha.  The refs won't even need to cheat for us this year.