Author Topic: USA Basketball: Championship of Americas  (Read 1344 times)

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
USA Basketball: Championship of Americas
« on: August 28, 2007, 06:29:02 PM »
So this weekend I got a chance to catch two USA basketball games on ESPN2.  The first was against Canada, the second, I came in the second quarter, against Brazil, the last two (of four) games of pool play. 

Keeping in mind the propensity of Team USA to start out on fire and then as a tournament wears on begin to fall apart, I have to say that I'm really impressed with this particular team. 

Team USA finally has a true to life, honest to goodness, point guard in Jason Kidd.  When he is in and out of the game its almost night and day and he barely ever attempts a basket.  He's always pushing the ball, outletting to streakers, finding guys on baseline cuts, swinging it to the open shooter, the guy has really taken the reines of the team and executing the game plan perfectly.  Carmelo is still lighting it up: I think the way Larry Brown treated this kid in Athens '04 really shook his confidence and he's decided to go for broke in International competition.  Anthony is focused and determined every second he's out on the court and from what I saw the Team's go-to guy when they need a basket.  Kobe has been quite impressive, especially his defense.  Leandro Barbosa had been averaging 27 ppg in the tournament until Bryant got put on him, he had 4 points on like 1-7 shooting.  His defensive intensity is being matched only by Tyson Chandler who seems to block everything in his area; if he learned to block the ball to teammates rather than out of bounds, the scores might have been even more lopsided.  From the Canada game, I could see Tayshaun still doing all the smart things and Coach K has called him the most astute student he's been around.  Unfortunately I didn't see him against Brazil because he sprained an ankle before I tuned in.  Of the Centers, Amare's been a monster, just unguardable.  He still finds so many ways to get his shot off in traffic and while being hammered that its plain unfair to any frontline.   

LeBron, Chauncey, Deron Williams, and Dwight Howard really haven't been impressive at all.  Deron and Howard are too indecisive, which just goes with being young, but Howard's had the experience and really needs to turn the corner.  LeBron pounds the ball too much and Chauncey hasn't found the mark at all.

In conclusion I'd like to thank the good lord for Michael Redd and Mike Miller.  Thank you Jerry Colangelo and Team USA for realizing that you NEED THESE PLAYERS on your team and they need heavy minutes.  Miller has shot around 37% from range, which sounds bad since the 3 point line is about 21 feet in international play-Miller's been launching from about 27 feet in deep perimeter.  He's so dangerous from their that he's opened up cutting lanes for the athletes and room to work for the bigs.  He's also passed very well and is actually hustling defensively (not with much tangible success, though). 

From the games I watched though, its been "The Michael Redd Show".  I read that he's shooting around 50% from three point range, I didn't see him miss even that often across the two games I saw.  His release is just so quick and he can light it up from anywhere behind the line.  He's second on the team in scoring at about 19 ppg and with him on board, it'll be hard for the really good teams to just pack it in.

I didn't see it yesterday, but apparently they got their first real test and beat Mexico only 127-100.  So I guess its plausible they could struggle against the really good teams Argentina, Spain, Greece, Italy, and Serbia.  But if J Kidd, Carmelo, Kobe, Amare, and especially Miller and Redd bring their A game, I don't see anyone beating this team. Not in this tournament, nor the Olympics next year. 

« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 06:34:36 PM by Skandery »
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: USA Basketball: Championship of Americas
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 11:27:49 PM »
Nice assessment Skand.  I feel like its Barcelona all over again already.  Or at least I am pretty hyped to say this is what the USA Basketball team has been about since the NBA jumped into the mix.  They did a much better job grabbing not just the best players but the right players for the squad.  You have roster spots going to Tyson Chandler, Mike Miller, and Michael Redd but missing guys like Tim Duncan, Dwayne Wade (he was out but on the squad), and Kevin Garnett.  The good part is it seems to be the right choice to bring in some of these other guys who may not be super stars but fill a role they didn't have in '04.

Since you already gave a lot of props to J-Kidd I think I'll give some to picking Chauncey Billups to be the back up.  Excellent floor general.  It has got to be nice for Coach K to have that kind of leadership swappable like that.

If the USA Basketball team keeps playing the kind of defense it was there shouldn't be any reason why they cannot do very well in China next summer.  They have the size and strength advanctage to dominate most of the players on that end of the floor.  As seen with Kobe on a smaller  Barbosa.  Lebron James should be having a field day in the post (suprised he didn't go there more).

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 06:33:48 PM »
Well, Team USA is still kind of vulnerable.  They had their toughest test playing Argentina last night with Magic Johnson watching in the front row.  An Argentina team without Manu Ginobli, Fabricio Oberto, Andres Nocioni, and Walter Hermann and USA managed only a 15 point victory 91-76.  I think the coaches need to really focus on getting the guys to better defend the pick and roll.  A team like Spain or Greece or Argentina at full strength will run pick and roll to death while having 5 guys on the floor that can shoot from anywhere.

In the Championship of the Americas, Team USA has seemed to be rejuvenated but they haven't really been tested and there are slight vulnerabilities that those teams in Beijing will be all too happy to exploit. 
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 06:38:36 AM »
Well, Team USA is still kind of vulnerable.  They had their toughest test playing Argentina last night with Magic Johnson watching in the front row.  An Argentina team without Manu Ginobli, Fabricio Oberto, Andres Nocioni, and Walter Hermann and USA managed only a 15 point victory 91-76.  I think the coaches need to really focus on getting the guys to better defend the pick and roll.  A team like Spain or Greece or Argentina at full strength will run pick and roll to death while having 5 guys on the floor that can shoot from anywhere.

In the Championship of the Americas, Team USA has seemed to be rejuvenated but they haven't really been tested and there are slight vulnerabilities that those teams in Beijing will be all too happy to exploit. 

Not flawless of course but I think that if they play with some passion for even 40 minutes they should take the gold.  The problem it seems at times they think it is the all-star game and they don't have to technically try until the middle of the 3rd when one conference decides they want to beat the other.

Didn't the pick and roll play come from this country?  It amazes me how there has been this gap from the early/mid 90s up until now where it seems like NO teams can guard it all that well.  You would think that every team runs the play like Stockton and Malone.

Either way I am pretty excited.  Just like I was when the USA Basketball team went to Barcelona.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 09:49:25 AM »
I've watched a few of the games, both games the US went up against Argentina.  The US can turn it on when ever they feel like it, they are head and shoulders above the other teams in this tourney.  Argentina is the second best team and the US handled them like a JV team BUT three starters are missing and will they will make a big difference in the Olympics, so in essence the US was playing the JV team.  Scola was solid for Argentina, he should do well playing along side Yao.

The biggest props should go to Argentina, they managed to get an automatic bid to the Olympics without their top 3 players.

How do you spell olympics?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"