Author Topic: Best NBA city  (Read 3094 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Best NBA city
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 08:43:03 AM »
  I TAKE CARE O MY KIDZ!

Are you Latrell's alter ego?   :o
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 09:27:35 AM »
I don't know about some of your comments Laker Fan.  Philly fans are some of the most classless fans in the country but they are definately "rabid", same with Knick fans.  IMO NY fans are some of the most knowledgeable, or at least arrogant.

I don't think Laker fans are the most uninvolved, we just have more fair weather fans than most places.  If you were to go one-for-one as far as "rabid" fans, the Lakers would have just as many as any other city.  The problem is we have so many people that uninvolved Laker fans probably outnumber any other city as well.  Most fans that go to the game have money, it's too expensive for me to go games and I make pretty good money.  So the fans that most other cities see are fair weather fans with money, and in a city like L.A. if you have money there are tons of other things to do so why waste your time rooting for a losing team, just wait till they get on track then show up at Staples for your TV close up. 

Classless Philly fans works for me, that by itself makes them among worst, New Yorks fans IMO fill that same bill, knowledgable or not, so my assessment is not incompatable with yours.

I actually think you make my point about Laker fans when you say the uninvolved fans outnumber involved fans. There is no question that the distractions and diversions of Los Angeles are a big, if not the biggest, reason for such an attitude, but let's face it WOW, uninvolved and apathetic definately decribes an inordinately large number of Laker fans, and that same attitude is the reason the second largest city in the US has no NFL team. There may be a valid reason for tha lack of involvement, disinterest (unless of course, the Lakers are winning, in which case thefair weather fans come out of the woodwork like cockroaches), and general apathy, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking these attitudes don't exist.
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2007, 10:10:55 AM »
NY and LA both have a lot of fairweather fans.  NY was rabid when they were actually a contender.    There is a few reasons for it.  One being that there is a lot of people in the area and if a team is on a streak is seems like everyone likes them.  When that streak ends and a lot of the Laker flags come down it makes it look really bad.  There is still a huge core of Laker fans in LA who love them to death.  Another is there just a lot more things to do in LA/NY then there is in a place like Sac-town or Portland.  If a team is playing poorly there is 1,000 of other things to go and spend that money on.  I don't think there is 1,000 of other things to do in Portland.

Although the whole 'we are the best' mentality is the real problem.  A lot of NYers and LA residents can only be associated with the best (see the Yankees up until a few weeks ago) because of that mentality.  LA fans only love the Lakers when being associated with them makes them look good as well.  Same with NY fans.  It just has been a while since the Knicks have been any good.

We forgot to toss in Charlotte fans guys.  There was a point in time when The Hive was selling out crazy and they've never had a really good team for a string of seasons.  In fact the fans there are so good the NBA went pedal to the metal to try to get a team back there.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2007, 12:02:09 PM »
We forgot to toss in Charlotte fans guys.  There was a point in time when The Hive was selling out crazy and they've never had a really good team for a string of seasons.  In fact the fans there are so good the NBA went pedal to the metal to try to get a team back there.

When they came into the league as an expansion team, those four expansion teams made it a cakewalk for MJ to win titles, they held the streak for most sold out games, I think they went their first 3 or 4 years selling out every home game even though they sucked.  Don't know how it went from there.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"