Author Topic: KG to Boston for Jefferson, Green, Telfair, and Ratliff  (Read 5006 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: KG to Boston for Jefferson, Green, Telfair, and Ratliff
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2007, 08:10:34 PM »

as for their other starting position, I actually really like Rondo at that spot.  His strengths are he's a good passer, a good penetrator, and a heckuva defender.  His weakness is his outside shot.  Playing with Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, and KG is possibly the best position he can be in.  One where his strengths are needed, and his weaknesses can be overcome.  As a starter last year he averaged 10.6 ppg, 5.4 rpg, 5.8 apg, and 2.4 spg, on solid percentages.  I'm excited to see what he does with the opportunity.

Mega Dittos Rush!!  Oh sorry about that Derek, but you are right all the same.  Rondo will be a very good PG with this group.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2007, 10:12:39 AM »
just to play devil's advocate, do the spurs have a real center?

Nope.  The Spurs have one guy who knows the system like the back of his hand and is perfect for it.  And one guy who is athletic enough to get by the multiple mental errors. 

Rondo is going to be good.  In an 82games.com analysis done before his draft occured; Rondo was the second likeliest player to succeed in the NBA, behind only Ronnie Brewer.  If this guy sees consistent time and develops some kind of shot, the sky's the limit.  He closed the season on a tear.  For example, in a game @ Indiana last April:  14 points, 8 rebounds, 8 assists, 7 steals.   

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2007, 10:42:20 AM »
just to play devil's advocate, do the spurs have a real center?

Nope.  The Spurs have one guy who knows the system like the back of his hand and is perfect for it.  And one guy who is athletic enough to get by the multiple mental errors. 

I would also say that the Spurs players from 4-8 on the roster offer more than the rest of the roster Boston has (or will have).  And as to the comment about comparing to the Suns big 3...all I have to say is Nash.  I don't see Allen, PP or KG being the offensive igniter that Nash is for the Suns.  Even the big 3 in SA includes two ball handlers that can get offense started.

IMO Ainge has mortgaged 20-25 years of mediocricy (sp?) in exchange for a 2-3 year window.  Ray-Ray is on his way down...check out his stats for the past 4-5 years.  Some of his worse shooting percentages and plays about as many games a year as Shaq.  PP needs to have the ball to be most effective (look at the Walker-Pierce teams).  KG is the most likely to continue to succeed because he does so many things on the floor besides scoring.  All 3 have big egos and are not use to really sharing the ball much.  None of the 3 were able to lift their teams very high but now will have to learn to work together.  And that doesn't even take into account Doc's game plans...or lack thereof.

On the other hand Minnesota before the trade had some solid youngsters (Foye, Brewer, McCants) and added 3 more (Jefferson, Green, Gomes).  Also getting their own draft pick back is huge - they will be lottery for a couple more years.  There is only one more trade that needs to be done and IMO then the Wolves will have a VERY bright future.  But I'm not sure if any of the other 29 teams would be willing to take on McHale in exchange for a bright, upcoming, front-office type.   ;)
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2007, 11:25:07 AM »
They dont have the money to go after any other FAs reality..... 
I mean will others come over on the relatively cheap side looking for a ring, ie Michael Findawg with the Spurs, Bob Parrish with the Bulls, Billy Walton with the G.O.A.T. Celts.
Also maybe they can plug in some role players cheap ie from CBA.
And there you have it.  :D
Deke Tumble set to come over to the Celts. ;)
http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1014809

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2007, 12:21:14 PM »
Lurker how do you figure he hosed this team for 2 decades with this trade?  Not talking ish or anything just curious where you pulled it from.  He surely traded a lot to get this core group but all fans and franchises live in the now.  It is going the route of music where if you haven't had a hit or an album out in the last year you are old news.  Stupid, yes.  However that is how it works nowadays.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 12:24:58 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2007, 01:48:32 PM »
Lurker how do you figure he hosed this team for 2 decades with this trade?  Not talking ish or anything just curious where you pulled it from.  He surely traded a lot to get this core group but all fans and franchises live in the now.  It is going the route of music where if you haven't had a hit or an album out in the last year you are old news.  Stupid, yes.  However that is how it works nowadays.

He traded away the entire young core except Rondo, traded another 2 draft picks and killed the cap until the big 3 all retire.  And then look at how quickly teams rebuild with no draft picks, no cap space and no history of success to lure free agents.  I may have exaggerated some but I believe without some lottery magic the first year the Celtics miss the playoffs that it will take years for them to rebuild.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2007, 01:52:46 PM »
If the Celts get even one championship out of this all will be forgiven.
Really even a Finals appearance will placate the starving Boston base.

2010 onward is another lifetime in NBA terms.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2007, 02:32:28 PM »

He traded away the entire young core except Rondo, traded another 2 draft picks and killed the cap until the big 3 all retire.  And then look at how quickly teams rebuild with no draft picks, no cap space and no history of success to lure free agents.  I may have exaggerated some but I believe without some lottery magic the first year the Celtics miss the playoffs that it will take years for them to rebuild.

In all honesty with the way Boston hit bad luck this year in the draft and Ainge's IDIOTIC move last year I don't see how this team would have improved at all any other way.  Granted those core of guys were never given a shot to say either way but IMO with Ainge calling shots the would have been bad for the next decade or until they finally let him go.

Okay I'll admit it, I have a strong dislike for Danny Ainge.  Not just as a player but as a commentator and a front office guy.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com