Author Topic: Do you want Steve Francis?  (Read 1959 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Do you want Steve Francis?
« on: July 18, 2007, 01:46:21 PM »
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=3801311&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

While it seems he will hook up with Cutino Mobely in Los Angeles, would and could Steve Francis be a good fit for other teams?  Esp since Portland is footing most of the bill.

Houston?  see above link.  Seems like a good choice to me.
Dallas?  Would create some serious competition between he and Jason Terry.

Some think Francis can play point if he wanted to.  I think he could make a great point if he changed his stripes.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Do you want Steve Francis?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 02:05:48 PM »
I think he could make a great point if he changed his stripes.

Francis has been a whiny little me-first prima donna ever since he was drafted by Vancouver and refused to sign with them.  He has been rejected by 4 teams (Rockets, Magic, Knicks & Blazers) and has built a rep as being a locker room cancer.

Having said that...I would LOVE to see "Franchise" play for a division rival.  I don't see Dallas or Houston having the necessary leader to tell Stevie to just shut up and play.  And throwing a cancer into their lockerrooms could only benefit the Spurs.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 03:09:07 PM »
His best years are past him and his attitude is not one a team will want to deal with if they do not have to.  He is a skilled ball player (on the offensive end) but it would be difficult for any team to try to get him into the fold in the West.  It's much too competitive out in that division right now to take a gamble that could keep your team from playing well enough to get into the playoffs.  Unless he was to take a really reduced role off the bench, ala Jalen Rose, it's not worth it IMO.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 03:21:06 PM »
I want the Sixers to lose this year.  So sure, i'll sign him to a 1 year deal

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 03:52:48 PM »
It's ok Dabods, they don't need Stevie Franchise to help them loose this year.  Louis Williams is comming on in the Summer League, anyway. Sixers are at least a year away from being competitive even in the east.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 08:17:29 PM »
board confidence in Francis ability to potentially rehabilitate meball into Teamball is low.

I'm still blown away Portland forked 30 million.  They must believe Randolphs cancer level and chance to have infected Oden must be huge.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 08:56:02 PM »
I'm trying to think of another chronic malcontent who found success with a new team.

'Sheed.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 09:31:36 PM »
I'm trying to think of another chronic malcontent who found success with a new team.

'Sheed.

Sheed was a hot head but aside from problems with Sabonis he wasn't a bad guy.  In fact a lot of players in Portland liked him as a person.  Just the basketball emotions got the best of him often. 

Plus Sheed filled a role that Detroit needed badly.  I don't see what Francis can do that others cannot.  Didn't they just draft a PG?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 11:00:56 PM »
westkoast
Sheed was a hot head but aside from problems with Sabonis he wasn't a bad guy.  In fact a lot of players in Portland liked him as a person.  Just the basketball emotions got the best of him often. 

Plus Sheed filled a role that Detroit needed badly.  I don't see what Francis can do that others cannot.  Didn't they just draft a PG?

He's done 20/6/7 three times so he's got, or at least had the skills short of teamball.  Yes Houston just drafted a PG Aaron Brooks from Oregon.  But Francis lives there and I'm sure they would sign him if he fits their salary.  Or would they.  Does Adleman want Francis?

Probably all moot as he will play in LA and fit Sterlings budget.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 11:07:43 AM by Reality »

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 06:17:22 PM »
Forking over the 30mil to buy him out was a brilliant move by Portland, IMO.  Lurker hit the nail on the head with his post.  This guy has proven to be a cancer everywhere he goes.  The writing was on the wall when he refused to play for Vancouver when they tried to draft him and in hindsight his career has only reinforced that he is a petulant, heartless, crybaby that can ruin a teams chemistry. 

The Blazers have assembled an incredible pool of young talent.  The only thing that can squelch their potential right now is a bad coach, a cancer teammate or some unfortunate injuries.  You can't control the ladder, but IMO they've done a great job of mitigating the first two. 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 06:50:27 PM »
Well he's in Adlemans hands now.

Houston may be a lot of things this season.  Boring will not be one of them.
Yao
Scola
Battier
Tmac
Rafer Alston/Francis

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 07:42:07 PM »
Well he's in Adlemans hands now.

Houston may be a lot of things this season.  Boring will not be one of them.
Yao
Scola
Battier
Tmac
Rafer Alston/Francis

With Scola in the mix for Houston, they are pretty much a lock for a title.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 12:03:23 AM »
With Scola in the mix for Houston, they are pretty much a lock for a title.
  You think he can beat Kobe?