Author Topic: Best pg drivers in NBA history  (Read 1314 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Best pg drivers in NBA history
« on: June 11, 2007, 12:16:50 AM »
Tony Parker?
forget the rest of the game (defense, jumpshooting etc), just purely driving the ball for the hoop.

Is Parker right there with the best?

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Best pg drivers in NBA history
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 08:36:18 AM »
If you're talking about the ability to get to the bucket with the intention to score than Yes...

I mean you have Kevin Johnson and Tiny Archibald then....?  Frazier I have never seen play.  So Parker is Top 3 in my book.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 10:15:27 AM »
Not even close to the best.  Iverson is better by far. Wade is as well, but he is a 2, not a 1.  Then again, why distinguish between the two positions, since both guards share the duties of a point in most situations.

This isn't to say that Tony isn't good at getting through defenses, because he is.   Being on the Spurs helps, as the others are at the very least good distractions.

If Tony had to carry the Spurs by himself, he couldn't do it.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 10:40:06 AM »
Not even close to the best.  Iverson is better by far. Wade is as well, but he is a 2, not a 1.  Then again, why distinguish between the two positions, since both guards share the duties of a point in most situations.

This isn't to say that Tony isn't good at getting through defenses, because he is.   Being on the Spurs helps, as the others are at the very least good distractions.

If Tony had to carry the Spurs by himself, he couldn't do it.

I'd say one reason to distinguish between the two positions is size and strength.  Save guys like Baron Davis or Deron Williams but PGs are usually the least strong and smallest players on the court.  Makes a difference if you are 6'2 190 pounds going at a 7 footer compared to 6'7-6'8 220.

I don't think you should leave AI out of the running because he technically has played the 2 most of his career.  Maybe it should be best small guys who are able to get in the lane in NBA history?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 10:42:41 AM »
If you're talking about the ability to get to the bucket with the intention to score than Yes...
I mean you have Kevin Johnson and Tiny Archibald then....?  Frazier I have never seen play.  So Parker is Top 3 in my book.
Isaiah Thomas altho no one exposed him like the '86 Celts.  Thomas forte was jumping into the big and drawing the foul.  Billy Walton and other Celts bigs would not take the bait and would keep feet set while folding their arms in front of them.
Tiny  Archibald
Gary Pouton was good in the Sonics glory years 92-95.
Johny Stockton?
Mo Cheeks for a year or two.

Offline spursfan-101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 06:19:37 PM »
Tiny Archibald!!  THE greatest pg of all time??  He led the league in assists AND scoring one year!!!