Author Topic: Football Survivor League  (Read 5407 times)

Update

Football Survivor League
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2006, 07:25:20 AM »
Who survived week 3?

I suppose the bear picked Carolina or Chicago. :rolleyes:

Chris Simms, we salute you.  What an effort.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Football Survivor League
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2006, 10:25:45 AM »
Nope the Bear picked New England over Denver.  So did Lurker, so a double thwack this week from Tammy Faye Brady.  

Meanwhile jn picked Indy over Jacksonville, which was in doubt for about a half.  How did I fare?  I skated by the complete and utter incompetance of all that is Cleveland Football.  

I choose Baltimore to beat Cleveland.  

Cleveland has a 14-12 lead with four minutes to go.  They're at 2nd and goal from the Two.  Hand off to Jason Wright or Jerome Harrison?  How about a QB sneak, after all Frye has 3 rushing TDs so far.  NO, we're Cleveland, we don't know anything about winning football.  We'll have Charlie Frye throw a pick in the endzone.  

My boy, Steve McNair completes 6 of 9 passes to put Baltimore in field goal range while Stovetop boots one in from 45 for the 15-14 win.

Thank you...come again.  God I feel sorry for those poor, poor Cleveland fans.  But not sorry enough not to take my cheap, nasty, survival victory.

Looks like its me and jn.  May the better Tunisian win. :D            
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

jn

Football Survivor League
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2006, 10:59:07 AM »
Skander,

Since you brought up Tunisia just think of our match this way.  You are Carthage and I am Rome.   :eek2:  Not sure what the cyber equivelant of salting your fields so nothing will ever grow again but I'll think of something.  :D

I'm always amazed by how difficult these leagues are.  

Marty Shottenheimer

Football Survivor League
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2006, 06:35:34 PM »
Nobody does it better
Makes me feel sad for the rest
Nobody does it half as good as you
Baby, you're the best

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory once again, MartyBall loses 16-13 with 34 seconds left at Baltimore.

jn

Football Survivor League
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2006, 12:10:10 AM »
Congrats Skander! I guess it was a combination of underselling the Pats, which I normally don't do, and some karma for the Bengals felonious ways.  :cheers:  

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
Football Survivor League
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2006, 09:26:46 AM »
Thanks for the congrats, jn.  

Actually, I thought your pick was a little safer than my Carolina pick, goes to show what I know? :D

Sewing my fields with salt <harumph> the Carthaginians SHALL RISE AGAIN!!

....by the way, I love the word 'felonious'. :up:  
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Football Survivor League
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2006, 11:09:26 AM »
Congrats, buddy.  While I'd like to have held onto the title for another year, it's a good feeling to pass the trophy on to you, and....

....WHAT AM I SAYING ?!?  I'm going to have to put up with the fact that you're the champion in the only two leagues that I'm playing in?  That SUCKS!

In all seriousness, congrats, Skander.  Winning both basketball AND football picks says a lot.

And just for that, I'm going to take the player you want in rounds 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13 in the NBA draft.

Joe

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Football Survivor League
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2006, 11:36:04 AM »
Skandery picked Carolina and is 4-0.  
jn got tripped up by the Pats resurgency over Cinci.
Have i got that right?
jn you still have the Twins.  What a comeback!

Skandery you warned me some time ago about getting excited over the Chargers chances with Shottenheimer.  Once again I thought their talent could overcome him, once again I'm wrong.  The city mourns.

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
Football Survivor League
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2006, 01:23:19 PM »
In all seriousness, congrats, Skander. Winning both basketball AND football picks says a lot.

As I'm fond of recalling, "A blind hog finds an acorn once in a while."

In all seriousness, congrats, Skander. Winning both basketball AND football picks says a lot.

Thanks, bud.

And just for that, I'm going to take the player you want in rounds 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13 in the NBA draft.

Fair enough, I'll have to return the favor in rounds, 4,6,8,10,12 and 14.  You heard me, Shane Battier, Eddie Jones, Steve Nash...HERE I COME!!

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
Football Survivor League
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2006, 01:52:37 PM »
Skandery you warned me some time ago about getting excited over the Chargers chances with Shottenheimer. Once again I thought their talent could overcome him, once again I'm wrong. The city mourns.

...thought their talent could overcome him,..... :rofl:  :rofl: ....that's hilarious, Reality.  The city mourns.  :rofl:

Anywho I watched right up until mid-3rd quarter when the omni-present, "oooh, I think I have to spend SOME time with my wife this weekend" feeling arose.  Frow what I saw the Chargers absolutely DOMINATED the game in all facets.  

I heard post-facto that Martyworld decided to take the safety with 2 min. left in the game and my boy Air McNair drove the Ravens down and scored with a pass to Heap.  I also heard that the running back in the game for San Diego during the series they took the safety was Michael Turner, NOT The Great Danian.  This gives me pause not because I'm a Chargers Nut, but because LT happens to be my franchise player in fantasy so I read up on it.  

I read that Tomlinson MADE THE CALL to have Michael Turner in the game instead of him since Turner has more of a pound-em style of running necessary when you're buried inside your 5.  Obviously they didn't get the first down and took the safety.  Now I don't know much about football but when you've got, in my estimation, the BEST running back in football, you tend to have him in there in these crunch time situations.  I don't care what style of running he has.  
Now that error in judgement for Marty to LET Tomlinson make that call was much worst than actually taking the sack because he had faith in his defense.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 01:53:34 PM by Skandery »

jn

Football Survivor League
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2006, 03:43:31 PM »
Yep Reality you have that correct.  Like I said, I have a ton of faith in the Pats so it was a strange pick for me and it chomped me.

The Twins are just freaking amazing.  This team reminds me a bit of the 87 championship team, with Santana in the role of one of my two or three favorite Twins, Frankie "Sweet Music" Viola.  I say that in this sense.  The 91 champions were the best team in baseball and had a fairly consistent lineup, most importantly they had a some key holdovers from 87 in Hrbek, Kirby, Greg Gagne and Dan Gladden.  This team is like 87 in the sense that so many different role players are stepping up and there have been so many different players filling in it's a wonder they are a winning team, much less a threat to win a world series.  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Football Survivor League
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2006, 12:18:28 AM »
jn,
yeah nothing but props for MN.  Today I really question pitching to Frank Thomas twice, but really it was Zitos stopping the O along with ressurected Frank that makes it 0-1 for the Twins.

Skandery, believe it or not at the time the safety was the correct call.  The previous play the Chargers had botched snap and then a penalty.  On the botched snap, the punter did a marvelous job of getting the punt out.  I mean it should be used in teaching punters.  However, there was a penalty on the Chargers on that kick.  So they were backed up to like the 7 yard line plus their long snapper had been having problems all 2nd half.

However as to the the first 3 1/2 quarters, you saw correctly.  They dominated yet led only 13-7.  MMmmartyBall restricted QB Phillip Rivers to attempt one (1) pass the entire 3rd quarter.  Everyone who has seen him play agrees Phillip Rivers is very talented and can be at least as good as Rothlesburger was in his rookie year.  Quote "After the game, Ravens linebacker Bart Scott said this to the Baltimore Sun: “I'm glad (Schottenheimer) stuck with his game plan, because that Rivers kid could play.” :rofl:  :cry:

Here are three superb articles by the local media.
Kevin Acee:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/charg...s3chargers.html

Tim Sullivan:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/sulli...s2sullivan.html

and thirdly previous longtime Marty suck up and apologist Nick Canepa had his coming out party with his 1st ever realistic article on Marty:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/canep...-1s3canepa.html

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Football Survivor League
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2006, 11:58:09 PM »
Skandery did you pass week 5?

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
Football Survivor League
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2006, 08:51:29 AM »
Actually I stopped doing it.   :D

You know, though, I probably would have gone Tampa Bay over New Orleans.  :huh:  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Football Survivor League
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2007, 03:57:41 PM »
Do we still need this topic stickied?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"