Author Topic: MVP talk  (Read 844 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
MVP talk
« on: April 12, 2007, 01:29:17 PM »
I for one find this award to be quite flawed but...

MVP Debate Rages On

By Kori Ellis
SpursZONE.com

With the NBA playoffs right around the corner, the MVP debate rages on. With just a week left in the 2006-07 regular season, no clear cut winner has emerged. However, a case can be made for (and against) five top candidates for the award.

LeBron James
Cleveland Cavaliers

Points - 27.5
Rebounds - 6.8
Assists - 6.0
Blocks - .72
Steals - 1.62
FG% - 47.4
3FG% - 32.0
FT% - 70.3
Minutes - 41.2

Why?
Though his season stats are slightly down from a year ago, a case can be made for LeBron James. James, who is averaging seven rebounds and six assists to go along with 28 point per game, is perhaps the most well-rounded player in the league. With no other star in Cleveland, James’ contributions are invaluable.

Why Not?
The Cavaliers have been faltering as of late, losing seven of their last 12 contests while currently sitting in the fifth spot in the Eastern Conference. And although Cleveland is good, they are still not one of the league's elite teams. Until James can enjoy more team success, he will continue to be a perennial MVP candidate but always fall short.

Tim Duncan
San Antonio Spurs

Points - 20.1
Rebounds - 10.6
Assists - 3.4
Blocks - 2.36
Steals - .82
FG% - 54.2
3FG% - 11.1
FT% - 64.0
Minutes - 34.3

Why?
The Spurs, who have won 24 of their previous 27 games, are the hottest team in the NBA coming down the stretch run of the season and Duncan is the main reason. The two-time MVP is the Spurs’ main focus on offense and is one of the best defenders in the league. He is the undisputed best low-block player in the NBA and has improved his numbers across the board from a season ago.

Why Not?
The Spurs, although playing much better as of late, still trail the Suns and the Mavs in the standings. On top of that, Duncan isn’t a flashy player and his numbers don’t jump off the stat sheet. He also has two all-star quality guards (Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili) on his team that carry a lot of the load.

Steve Nash
Phoenix Suns

Points - 18.9
Rebounds - 3.5
Assists - 11.5
Blocks - .08
Steals - .76
FG% - 53.4
3FG% - 46.8
FT% - 89.3
Minutes - 35.4

Why?
Nash is a great player in his own right, but his value to the Suns is multiplied because he makes everyone on his team better. His ball distribution and ability to draw double teams opens up opportunities for the rest of his squad. His absence would likely be more significant than the other MVP candidates because everything he does on the court affects everyone else on his team.

Why Not?
It's hard to legitimately argue against Nash. One of the only arguments that I've heard against Nash winning the MVP is, "Come on, Steve Nash can't win three in a row." Certainly, it would be a huge accomplishment, seeing as the only others to accomplish the feat of three in a row are Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain and Larry Bird. If Nash wins the MVP award again, he’d historically go down as one of the best players of all-time.

Dirk Nowitzki
Dallas Mavericks

Points - 24.7
Rebounds - 9.1
Assists - 3.4
Blocks - .83
Steals - .65
FG% - 49.9
3FG% - 41.2
FT% - 90.2
Minutes - 36.4

Why?
The Mavericks are the league’s best team and Dirk Nowitzki is the undisputed leader. He has developed into a devastating offensive player, combining a sweet outside stroke with a willingness to attack the rim. Nowitzki is also passing better than ever, while shooting at career-high clips from the field, on three-pointers and from the free throw line.

Why Not?
One can argue that Nash is a better distributor, Duncan is a better low post player, James is more dynamic and Bryant is a better scorer. However, that would ignore what Nowitzki and the Mavs have accomplished this season. The Mavs are on pace to finish with one of the best records of all-time, while Nowitzki has consistently played at a higher level than everyone else in NBA. For that reason, Nowitzki should be the hands down winner of the MVP award.

Kobe Bryant
Los Angeles Lakers

Points - 31.2
Rebounds - 5.6
Assists - 5.5
Blocks - .48
Steals - 1.44
FG% - 45.9
3FG% - 34.7
FT% - 86.6
Minutes - 40.8

Why?
Last month Kobe Bryant had a historic stretch of games, scoring 50 or more points in four straight outings. For the month of March, he averaged an astounding 40.4 points, 6.2 rebounds and 4.5 assists, while shooting 46% from the floor. Bryant is again leading the league in scoring and is without a doubt the most explosive offensive player in the league.

Why Not?
If the MVP was awarded based on talent alone, Bryant would be a shoo-in. But when factoring in team success, Bryant falls short. Despite his histrionics, the Lakers are in seventh place in the Western Conference, hovering just above .500. At some point, individual achievements need to translate into team success and at this point there isn’t much evidence that Bryant makes his teammates better.

Note: Statistics reflect games played through April, 10, 2007.

http://www.woai.com/content/sports/...09-4e984522bf64

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: MVP talk
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 02:44:54 PM »
I vote for Nash.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: MVP talk
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 04:26:27 PM »
I am going to have to say Dirk.  I feel like Dallas has the best shot of winning it all this year and this team really suffers when Dirk is not playing well.  He is shooting 49% from the field as a 7 footer, that is pretty amazing.

The Lakers are not in good enough shape for Kobe to be considered but I do not agree that he doesn't make teammates better.  You cannot simply say since his assists have no sky rocketed that he does not make his teammates better.  He has been very effective at reading the defense and passing out of double teams.

If the Suns lost Nash they wouldn't be the same team but they do have a talented squad.  They wouldn't score as much or as easy but I think they would be able to be a solid team if you were to put another PG in his position due to Amare, Marion, and the likes.  I feel like he is being handed the award almost as a default.

Lebron is in the same boat as Kobe is except his team has not suffered from injuries the entire season.  The team is not playing well enough to be considered IMO.  The stats look good and one could argue if he left the team they would be alot worse.

People who should also be mentioned.....Tim Duncan (Spurs are killing it in the second half of the season) Chauncey Billups (he is the general for the Pistons and they are playing great ball)
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com