Author Topic: Spurs opponent: which is more likely  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs opponent: which is more likely
« on: April 08, 2007, 10:41:01 PM »
If you had to choose travel plans today, which is more likely?

1.  The Spurs will play Phx in Round 2

2.  Will play #6 LAL or #6 LAX in Round 1

Yes i know both could occur.  If you had to choose one, which is more likely?

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Spurs opponent: which is more likely
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 11:00:57 AM »
It looks like it will be either LA or Denver who will be the Spurs first round opponent.

The Clippers are too far back and look like they get the privilege of playing Dallas.

The question you should be asking is which team does LA want in the first round, and which team Denver wants.

The teams are so close in the standings now, that they could change positions, but tonight will go a long way towards deciding which team gets 6th and which team gets 7th.

The team in 6th gets to play the Spurs, who are as hot as any team in the league.  The team who finished 7th gets the Suns, who are also playing well.

The Suns took care of the Lakers last night, in spite of Kobe's huge acrobatic dunk, so you would think LA would rather play the Spurs- err, except that the Spurs appear better as well.  Denver is in the same spot- either choice is a bad one. 

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 11:05:44 AM »
It looks like it will be either LA or Denver who will be the Spurs first round opponent.

The Clippers are too far back and look like they get the privilege of playing Dallas.

The question you should be asking is which team does LA want in the first round, and which team Denver wants.

The teams are so close in the standings now, that they could change positions, but tonight will go a long way towards deciding which team gets 6th and which team gets 7th.

The team in 6th gets to play the Spurs, who are as hot as any team in the league.  The team who finished 7th gets the Suns, who are also playing well.

The Suns took care of the Lakers last night, in spite of Kobe's huge acrobatic dunk, so you would think LA would rather play the Spurs- err, except that the Spurs appear better as well.  Denver is in the same spot- either choice is a bad one. 

Don't even get me started about the game yesterday.  I was sitting at Staples Center and didn't realize we were time warped into Arizona before the tip.

The Suns haven't been playing the greatest ball towards the last part of this season whereas the Spurs have been really playing well.  The Suns weaknesses(size/rebounding, defense)  are easier to exploit by the Lakers then the Spurs weaknesses (foot speed, jumpers out of double teams).

Personally it doesn't matter all that much as the Lakers won't make it out of the first round unless there is a miracle but the Spurs would probably sweep them IMO.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 11:29:23 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 11:50:19 AM »
neither one of you voted.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 12:10:39 PM »
The most likely of those 2 scenarios is the first.  It is almost a given that Spurs & Suns will meet in round 2.  Homecourt is still to be decided but IMO the Lakers/Clips/Nuggets will not upset the Suns or Spurs in the first round.  Maybe throw a scare into the higher seed but barring injuries the 6-8 seeds should be eliminated.

The second scenario has too many possibilities right now.  There is no lock on the 6th seed by either LA team...it could be the Nuggets.  And as of today the Suns still could drop to the 3rd seed which means that the Spurs would match up with the 7th seed...which again may or may not be one of the LA teams.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 12:53:57 PM »
Thank you lurker, yes #1 is the much more likely to me here and now today.
Have to make a move today.

I know after tonights Laker-Nuggets game a slightly more picture clear will evolve, the winner will be right there for the rest of the race for#6.  In fact Denver will have a 2 game loss column lead by winning and become the clearcut *favorite*. 

Even if Clips predictably fold (vs Denver on Sat that blown lead was a disaster), they can and will affect the seeding as they play both LAL and Denver.

I do not expect the Spurs to catch the Suns.  2% chance.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 01:18:51 PM by Reality »