Author Topic: Do the Spurs need to catch the Suns  (Read 1519 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Do the Spurs need to catch the Suns
« on: March 26, 2007, 01:20:50 PM »
A few Spursies are freaking out and thinking no way can the Spurs win back to back roadie series vs Phx and Dallas.
*Disclaimer i say it might not even end up being those opponents nor are the PopSpurs an absolute lock to win R1, but lets agree it sure looks that way.  Dallas is on their way to smashing 65+ wins, a historic benchmark for title.  Phx and SAS it would seem very unlikely either gets upset in R1, but i take nothing for granted.

Back to topic, do the Spursies need to obtain seed 2 and thus host Phx in R2 as opposed to roading them.

My take:
2005 the Spurs won all three games at Phx, including the 1st two.  Phx is better this year, but i rest on 2005 as saying the 2007 Spurs should not knock themselves out to get seed 2.  More important to peak in playoffs.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Do the Spurs need to catch the Suns
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 01:34:13 PM »
I don't think it matters where the Spurs play, they can win anywhere, much like the Mavs, the Suns on the otherhand do need home court as much as possible because they are not battle tested.

I think the Mavs are a lock, I think only the Suns can upset them.  With the Spurs they've seen that done that and they are better this year than they were last, the Spurs don't seem to have improved apart from TD being healthy.  I don't think any team can really challange the Mavs other than the Suns, it is quite possible to play their style of b-ball all through the Western conference, ala the 1987 Lakers, it wasn't until they faced the Celts in the finals that someone was able to force the Lakers to play half court b-ball.  Suns could follow the same pattern but IMO the Mavs should be too much this year.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 02:09:49 PM »
While their record speaks for itself, the games i have seen i do not find Dallas unbeatable.
Granted, maybe i just caught them on their rare stinker nights.
The ones with the most playoff atmosphere was Phx 129-127 win where Dal again reverted to their incredibly stupid choking ways ala vs Miami.  Props to Phx but fouling Nash when up 3 with 10 seconds on a three pointer was the topper.

Ditto Detroit the next couple days.  Dallas pulled it out 92-88 but RIP and co. went like 2-10 on FTs down the stretch.

Favorites Dallas?  Yes.  Unbeatable?  No.  I think Phx or SAS will push them to 6 or 7 with mostly close games. 
The revenge factor should be motivating for the Spurs.  If PopaClue goes small ball with Finley at the PF Dal will fry the Spurs.  Even if he does not, the Spurs failure to land an athletic 3 could again be their undoing.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 02:43:12 PM »
the Spurs failure to land an athletic 3 could again be their undoing.

And just exactly would this athletic 3 bring to the table that the Spurs don't already have?

Slashing to the basket - instead of Parker & Manu?
Defense - better than Bowen?
3 point shooting - to replace your love puppy Brent? (not to mention the obvious - just how athletic do you have to be to drain 3s)

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 02:50:21 PM »
It's more important for the starters to be well-rested for the playoffs.  I don't think home-court matters for a veteran team like the Spurs.

If they're good enough to beat the Suns, they'll beat them if they have home-court or not.

If they have the opportunity, they should do it, just for the psychological advantage.  The Suns will be much, much, tougher this year- Amare is back!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 02:55:13 PM »
IMO they don't need to catch them.  Like WOW said they are battle tested and I don't think home court means the same to them as it does the Suns.  The Suns have not proven they can go in to an elite team's home floor and win critical games.  I think it would be nice for either squad but not required for SA.

TD being healthy seems to be down played by you though WOW.  I think the Spurs control the tempo the best when he is at 100% and able to operate on the block.  Not that I believe the Spurs are better then the Mavs (The Mavs have proved they are the better team recently) but a healthy TD means alot.  Since they both play two different styles of basketball whoever forces the other to play their speed of basketball is giong to win.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 03:07:58 PM »
TD being healthy seems to be down played by you though WOW.

It's not that I'm down playing as much as it is that TD played very well last year even though I know he wasn't 100%, his production did not indicate he was hurt.  Reminds me of the third Laker title where Shaq looked like he was finished against the Spurs only to come to life against the Kings.

It will be very interesting how this years playoffs go, last year it was all about the Mavs and Spurs, this year there are the Suns being added to the mix and the Pistons could make the Finals interesting.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 03:16:09 PM »
TD being healthy seems to be down played by you though WOW.

It's not that I'm down playing as much as it is that TD played very well last year even though I know he wasn't 100%, his production did not indicate he was hurt.  Reminds me of the third Laker title where Shaq looked like he was finished against the Spurs only to come to life against the Kings.

It will be very interesting how this years playoffs go, last year it was all about the Mavs and Spurs, this year there are the Suns being added to the mix and the Pistons could make the Finals interesting.

His energy level and his rotations were not quite what they normally are, two things that wouldn't really show up in the stat sheet.  Maybe the Spurs fans will disagree but I felt like he was just a step too slow in the series on defense mainly.   As the anchor of the defense it is very important that he is able to slide to the paint fairly quickly.  TD is what takes them from a good defensive team to a great defensive team.  I'd be curious to see what this Spurs team (since Duncan joined) compared up on the defensive end to some of the all time great defensive team in the league. 
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com