Author Topic: 16 games left, and 4 games out, Can the Sixers make the playoffs?  (Read 1581 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
I really don't know.  Sometimes, the Sixers play like there's no shot of them making the playoffs, dropping games to Atlanta and Chicago, like they didn't even belong on the court.

Then, they get serious against a good team like Utah and manage to squeak out a win at the end.  I think it's significant when a young team manages to outlast a good squad at the end of a game- it's how the young team learns how to win, and develop an identity.

Anyway, it's mathematically possible, only being 4 games out.  Ahead of the Sixers for that spot are Indiana and New York, and they are tied with Atlanta.  Orlando and New Jersey are tied for the 7 & 8 slots, exactly 4 games ahead. Miami is firmly in the 6th spot, 5.5 games ahead of the last 2.

It's not just that the Sixers are winning, but that the other teams are losing.  Over the last 10 games, only Phila. has a winning record.

Phila.          8-2
Orlando       3-7
New Jersey  4-6
Indiana        0-10
New York     5-5
Atanta        4-6

If all these teams do the same thing over their next 10, the Sixers will take the  last spot from Orlando.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 16 games left, and 4 games out, Can the Sixers make the playoffs?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 02:04:04 PM »
will have to win 4-5 of the head to heads.

at New Jersey

APRIL OPPONENT
at New York 
Indiana 
at Boston 
Orlando

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 01:09:00 PM »
I've noticed that Andre has really been hot lately.  Saw quite a few highlights from him over the past few days.  IMO (and you probably disagree) it would benefit this squad more if they went to the playoffs and Andre learned what it is like to play at an even higher level.  I understand they are still rebuilding but if you have a chance to gain playoff expierence for young guys, I think you seize the moment.

Sixers are going to have to play some very good ball to get in and to maintain steam to make the first round competitive.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 09:23:32 AM »
It look like the real Sixers finally stood up, or err, sat down.

They have now dropped 4 of their last 5 and weren't even competitve in some of them.

I think their earlier success was the product of a weak schedule.  They're simply not able to compete with the good teams, unless they're having an off night.

Lottery pick here we come!

Other teams have figured out that the way to stop the Sixers is to stop Igoudala and Miller. If they have the players to do it, the Sixers can't win.  Willie Green and Kyle Korver can't keep them in games without the others.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 03:46:18 PM »
It look like the real Sixers finally stood up, or err, sat down.

They have now dropped 4 of their last 5 and weren't even competitve in some of them.

I think their earlier success was the product of a weak schedule.  They're simply not able to compete with the good teams, unless they're having an off night.

Lottery pick here we come!

Other teams have figured out that the way to stop the Sixers is to stop Igoudala and Miller. If they have the players to do it, the Sixers can't win.  Willie Green and Kyle Korver can't keep them in games without the others.

Noah maybe?!  Would be nice to have him in the middle from a lottery pick with Andre on the outside.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com