Author Topic: Blast from the past.  (Read 1433 times)

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
Blast from the past.
« on: February 16, 2007, 01:39:08 AM »
I think everyone needs some extra Tom Chambers in their life right? This is just crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDyBSTQDwH8
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Blast from the past.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 10:30:58 AM »
lol @ mitch richmond with the MC Hammer haircut!!!

Chambers was a pretty good player who never got his props.  I mean the guy barely gets mentioned as one of the best defenders on MJ when he was in his prime!

Also reminds me how much talent that Suns team had with KJ, Chambers, Barkley, Thunder Dan, etc
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Re: Blast from the past.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 11:12:05 AM »
You know, YouTube is one of the greatest, but also most annoying sites there is.

For example, you tube is wonderful because of all the basketball highlights you can see.

Unless, of course, you want to see highlights of Bobby Jones.  Or if you want to see the Kermit Washington punch.  Or Stockton's 11-assist quarter in the 1994 playoffs.  No Matt Harpring elbowing Dennis Rodman in the back of the head, either.

You can find dunk highlights.  You can see Hakeem Olajuwon blocking Rod Strickland (search for Hakeem Olajuwon block - Strickland's name isn't in keywords).  You can even find Maurice Cheeks helping the little girl with the National Anthem.  

But no Bobby Jones highlights.  Not a one.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Rolando Blackman

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - roblkman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Could be the Super Bowl syndrome
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 11:35:59 AM »
Hey Joe V!

One of the things that came to my attention during the long 2-week run-up to the Super Bowl was that there are no remaining complete recordings of the first two Super Bowls, to anyone's knowledge - both CBS and NBC have lost or destroyed them!

I can understand this...I have a monster collection of video tapes (some even from the Beta days, that I haven't seen in eons), many of which have been overwritten by my family members when they wanted to record something and did not have any tapes to do it with.  I am sure you can imagine my rage when I was watching a tape of the NBA Finals against the Celtics with the "junior, junior sky-hook" by Magic when all of a sudden, 'Pokemon' comes up instead...ARRRGGGHHH!!  This kind of thing has happened so many times, I don't even get mad anymore - just depressed.

ANYWAY, the point is that was an awful long time ago when Bobby Jones was playing...it would be pretty amazing to find someone (a non-technophobe geezer) with tapes from the late '70s and early '80s when Jones was on his game who would take the time to translate them to a digital format and then post them on YouTube.  But then again, it's the 'Net, and there is a lot of fanaticos out there!

And yes, Chambers was a perennial All-Star with a deadly outside shot with good D, as well - Dirk is very much in his mold (other than the 'D' part - LOL).  Regarding his relative post-career obscurity, I can only paraphrase a quote heard from somewhere a while back:

"You make your name in the regular season, but you make your fame in the playoffs."  Oh-so-true.

-RB
Shaq #1   
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 11:54:02 AM by Rolando Blackman »
Sellouts to the left of me
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here
Is this the fall of night?