Author Topic: Pippen and playoffs  (Read 1504 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Pippen and playoffs
« on: February 16, 2007, 12:34:22 PM »
Scottie Pippen says he wants back in NBA.
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-070215pippen,1,4206033.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

Thinks it's just an attention and/or money grab or can he contribute?

Offline Rolando Blackman

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - roblkman
    • View Profile
    • Email
If he still has skillz, yes with the right mix
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 12:51:56 PM »
Hey Reality!

Although Scottie Pippen definitely had (has?) game on offense, IMHO his true forte was (is?) his defense.  No one who watched all of those Bulls playoff victories in the '90s can forget how once they clamped down on 'D' in the 4th 'Q' (especially Scottie and MJ), it was basically over.  It was the Bulls' defense in combination with the awesome offensive capabilites of MJ that won all of those titles for Chicago, and all of us know how the playoffs emphasize 'D'!  If Scottie can even bring a modicum of his past exploits back with him, he can definitely (caveat: in limited minutes - hey, the guy IS 41) be a contributor!

-RB
Shaq #1
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 12:54:15 PM by Rolando Blackman »
Sellouts to the left of me
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here
Is this the fall of night?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pippen and playoffs
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 01:09:49 PM »
RB.

True that.  Karl Malone was still a factor at 40, so if Pippen is in as good a condition as Malone, look out.
If he will play for minimum I'd say slam dunk to at least giving him an op.

The Heat just signed Eddie Jones so probably no room there.
Pops love affair with Michael Finley would nix the Spurs, altho a long 3 is just what the team needs.
Can't imagine Pippen in Utah and on a Jerry Sloan team but???
Reunite with Phil in LAL?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 01:41:34 PM »
Malone was a factor at 40 because 1) he is one of the better condition athletes in the NBA and 2)He didn't take a break from playing.  Pippen did.  That makes a huge difference.  He would at least need a huge amount of time to get into good shape and then at least half a season or more to adjust to what a 82 game season demands.

Like RB said his forte was defense and there is no way in hell that he can keep up with any of the good 2's and 3s in the league.  In fact when he was in Portland before he left he could barely do it.  What makes him think he can do it now?  The only way he can be a big contributor to a team is if he comes back to teach them how to play defense as a coach or as a player who rides the pine but teaches the young players.

Love Pip to death but this is nothing more then him taking a shot at the league on some "You-guys-suck-I-can-still-play-and-be-competitive"
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 02:56:31 PM »
I don't see Scottie having much to contribute at this point.  He didn't look good his last couple years in the league, I can only imagine he'd be even worse now after three years without playing.  No knock on Pip, he was a great player ... operative word being was.  I don't think you can make the Malone comparsion.  Besides the good point westkoast already made that he never stopped playing, let's face it, Malone is/was a physical freak of nature.  Guys like that don't come along very often. 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 03:28:14 PM »
The thing is, on NBA teams the 12 and 13th bench players are usually left to crust on the bench anyways.  A practice i do not agree with but it is what it is.  So bringing Pippen in for a tryout should not hurt most if not all teams.

Spurs Beno Udrih is basically either crusting on the bench or being too nervous to play as he is contantly in Pops doghouse.
So would it really hurt to have Pippen replace him?

Put in Lakerese, suppose Pippen were to take the spot of Aaron McKie or Shammond Williams.
If Pippen in 10 games showed he still sucks, would anything really be hurt?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 04:02:20 PM »
The thing is, on NBA teams the 12 and 13th bench players are usually left to crust on the bench anyways.  A practice i do not agree with but it is what it is.  So bringing Pippen in for a tryout should not hurt most if not all teams.

Spurs Beno Udrih is basically either crusting on the bench or being too nervous to play as he is contantly in Pops doghouse.
So would it really hurt to have Pippen replace him?

Put in Lakerese, suppose Pippen were to take the spot of Aaron McKie or Shammond Williams.
If Pippen in 10 games showed he still sucks, would anything really be hurt?

What would be the point if he were to take the spot of Mckie or Williams...they don't play at all.  Paying him 1.5 million to be a practice time coach doesn't make much sense.

Those guys are kept on the squad cuz they have expiring contracts....
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com