Author Topic: All Star roster starters named.  (Read 2507 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
All Star roster starters named.
« on: January 26, 2007, 04:52:14 PM »
Some big names are not on the list as starters, and will be ending up as reserves, or not even on the team.

For the West:                    For the East:
Garnett                             James
Duncan                             Bosh
Bryant                              Wade
McGrady                           Arenas
Ming                                 O'neal

Who gets the backup guard spots in the West?  Nash? Iverson? Parker? Ginobli?
What about the forwards?  Anthony? Nowitsky?  Gasol? Boozer?

There are a lot of names from the East as well, of deserving players some of whom just won't make it. 

If Iverson doesn't make it, he will take it out on every team he faces the rest of the year.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: All Star roster starters named.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 06:09:44 PM »
I sure hope the "O'Neil" starter at center in the East is Jermaine O'Neil. 

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 06:30:28 PM »
Starters are determined by votes.  Shaq is the Center.  Jermain is listed as a Forward anyway.  He's one of those players depending on a coach to get him a spot.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 07:22:35 PM »
Local writer predicted the following west reserves:

Nash, Iverson, Howard, Boozer, Dirk, Brand, Amare.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 07:58:58 PM »
If he's right Lurker, I'd take the 2nd team over the first!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 08:59:13 PM »
I can't believe Diggler didn't get the start in the West.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 09:41:19 AM »
Whenever someone doesn't start, it's because the fans didn't give them the votes.  All you can do is blame the knowledgeable (sic) voters for that.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 10:47:07 AM »
Whenever someone doesn't start, it's because the fans didn't give them the votes.  All you can do is blame the knowledgeable (sic) voters for that.

So true rick, it's always been a marketing popularity contest.  I guess Germany doesn't have the internet like China.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 11:26:58 AM »
IMO some teams have an advantage in that they have a large number of fans.  A city like LA is much, much bigger than Dallas, so a start there is likely to get more votes.  IF there was a player worthy of being a star for the Knicks, he'd have a very good chance to get in.

For Dirk to get in, he needs support from other people in other towns.  Can you imagine a Houston or San Antonio fan voting for Dirk?  They should, but they won't!

Even Allen Iverson who has a fan base around the world, still couldn't garner enough votes to earn a starting spot.  Incidentally, he would have had enough votes to start for the East, but was beaten out by Kobe and McGrady.  I can dissagree, but I can't really argue with either selection.  Kobe certainly deserves a spot, and McGrady is playing on a better team.  Truthfully, right now Iverson is playing better than McGrady, scoring more at a similar percentage, and shooting much better from the line, but you won't get anyone in Houston to agree that AI should be in ahead of T-Mac, even though he's been injured for a significant time.

Same with Shaq Daddy.  Based on what he's done this year, he does not deserve to be on the team.  Obviously, people are not voting on the basis of on court performance. 

This all suggests that we should let the numbers determine the all stars- who scores the most at the highest percentage.  Who has the highest plus-minus numbers, etc.  That way, instead of getting a team based on people's opinions, we get a team based on merit.

Offline Rolando Blackman

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - roblkman
    • View Profile
    • Email
People in L.A. are apathetic and unmotivated
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 11:19:11 PM »
Hey ricko!

I am not sure that i agree with your conclusion that because the greater LA area is more populous than Dallas, it has a greater impact on the All-Star roster choices.  Los Angeles residents, IMO are some of the least engaged with their local teams of anywhere I know of.  They are too busy trying to get to their cars by the end of the 3rd 1/4 to beat traffic to vote for All-Stars!   As jn remarked, the 'Big RB' has lived in a lot of places over the years, so I know whereof I speak.

- Rolando
Shaq #1
Sellouts to the left of me
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here
Is this the fall of night?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: People in L.A. are apathetic and unmotivated
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 10:38:52 AM »
Hey ricko!

I am not sure that i agree with your conclusion that because the greater LA area is more populous than Dallas, it has a greater impact on the All-Star roster choices.  Los Angeles residents, IMO are some of the least engaged with their local teams of anywhere I know of.  They are too busy trying to get to their cars by the end of the 3rd 1/4 to beat traffic to vote for All-Stars!   As jn remarked, the 'Big RB' has lived in a lot of places over the years, so I know whereof I speak.

- Rolando
Shaq #1

Exactly.  I don't think NYC or LA makes or breaks players that are not on their favorite squads.  Even in a case like Elton Brand, other players are just more popular and get the nod.  I don't think LA favors KG over Dirk or vice versa.

One thing no one has seemed to notice is that the East squad is filled with all the NBA's newer young talent.  Whereas the west is made up of all the players who've been really good in this league for 7-10 years.  I think that is worth mentioning and worth paying close attention to when the game comes on.  If they throttle the west it could be the first sign in the changing of the guard.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com