Author Topic: I was thinking...  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Rolando Blackman

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - roblkman
    • View Profile
    • Email
I was thinking...
« on: January 26, 2007, 11:20:35 AM »
Hey y'all!!!

I was reminiscing about the old NBC discussion group (no more (obnoxious) Bulls fans left, it seems) when it occurred to me that one of the things most frequently posted about on that board never shows up here.  I am referring to heavy criticism of the journalists and commentators that cover the NBA.  Bill Walton in particular used to regularly receive withering diatribes about his statements...Peter Vecsey was another.  I guess this is because we here are all solidly grounded in our own opinions, and are not threatened by what the pundits say.   Aren't we good?

I like Walton, of course - it is always interesting to have him on a Lakers broadcast due to the presence of his son Luke.  The pride that beams from him is quite heart-warming.

-RB
Shaq #1
Sellouts to the left of me
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here
Is this the fall of night?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: I was thinking...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 12:19:53 PM »
Mostly I think we have all rehashed that enough that we kinda of know the opinions.  Vescey is less accurate than the common weatherman.  Walton is very polarizing...you either like him or hate him.  Most of the rest are adequate.

The one who really bothers me now is John Thompson.  The guy might be a great coach (debatable) and very knowledgable but I just don't like his delivery.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 01:03:16 PM »
Actually...I have been pretty critical of sports journalists around here.  Every once in a while I will post a rant about some screw ups from said journalists.  Seems to me as if they are moving towards Shock Jock Journalists as opposed to guys who really follow and love the sport.  If you see lower on the list of threads there is one where I had a major problem with an SI.com writer who was giving grades to all the WC teams.  Under the Wolves section he has a part where he said that the Wolves could ruin the Bulls chances in the playoffs  ??? ???  Then a few teams later he goes on to say that since the Spurs offense is slow it is the main reason why they are a good defensive team.

Vecsey is moron!  No need to go further.  He is like a gossip queen!!!!

Hearing Walton when he is doing the Lakers is hillarious!!  He often has to go silent when his son is playing well, even though you know as a father he is smiling ear to ear, so he doesn't sound like he is riding his jock strap.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Rolando Blackman

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - roblkman
    • View Profile
    • Email
He bugs me, too
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 03:25:17 PM »
The one who really bothers me now is John Thompson.  The guy might be a great coach (debatable) and very knowledgable but I just don't like his delivery.

Hey Lurker!

I agree with you, John Thompson is worse than Brent Musburger, by far - he sounds like he's talking with a mouth full of marbles.  Not only that, he never really contributes any constructive or informative commentary despite his rep.  Harsh, but true IMO.

- RB
Shaq #1 forever
Sellouts to the left of me
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here
Is this the fall of night?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 04:02:37 PM »
Ill take John Thompson over Doug Collins.  To me Collins is just not all that great on the M-I-C when it comes to keeping people interested in games.  Also, he recycles what he says.  This is not a joke.  I am dead serious.  One week he was the commentator for a Laker game, pointed plenty of things out.  2 weeks later they are covering the Lakers again and he repeat what he said the week before.  Not touching on similar points but I kid you not, word for word.  As if he was reading a script.

Also, one thing that bugs me about Walton and Collins is they always have to let you know they were in the league.  Collins has to let you know he coached Michael Jordan at least once a game.  He also must make it clear he was a coach for other teams then the Bulls.  Walton EVERYONE KNOWS YOU WERE A BASKETBALL PLAYER!
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com