Author Topic: OT Paul Horning is correct  (Read 2541 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
OT Paul Horning is correct
« on: December 18, 2006, 03:42:57 PM »
Horning contended that the only fair way of adjudging the rightful scoring champion is on a points-per-game basis.

176 points came in a 12-game season. LT has played 14, with two to come.
“You can't compare what a player has done in 12 games to what players have done in 16,” argued Hornung from Louisville, where he resides. “If someone finishes with a greater average than mine, I'll say, 'Fine, he broke my record.' ”

Horning's points average in 1960: 14.66. Tomlinson's current average in 14 games: 13.28.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: OT Paul Horning is correct
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 07:55:01 PM »
Agreed, same goes for baseball and home runs.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 10:10:41 PM »
Waa Waa Waa for Paul Hourning, call Maggie Simpson for a pacifier Paul.  So LT didn't break his points per game record, but then again Hourning played against 215 pound defensive tackles with 6.4 40 yard speed.  LT set the scoring record, and Paul "the big baby" Hourning holds the points per game record.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 09:41:53 PM »
Wait a minute.  He's completely right to point out the difference in the number of games.  Forget about the speed and size factor- he was a player from that era.

It's not fair at all to compare what someone set as a mark in a 12 game season to what someone can do in a 16 game one.  Those are two completely separate records for that reason.  The only legitimate way to compare them IS on a points per game basis. 

IF LT picks it up a little bit, maybe he can beat him on a PPG basis too.  And if not this year, then maybe next.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 01:32:28 AM »
IF LT picks it up a little bit, maybe he can beat him on a PPG basis too.  And if not this year, then maybe next.
In looking at the stats of past t.d. record breakers, it seems once they break it they do not come back to break it again.  The one exception would be Priesty Holmes, who tied it with 24 in 2002 then got 27 in 2003.  LTs workout program is supposed to be second to none, so while he may or may not come back and break his own record, i do think he will run for 1300+ yards several more years.  Age 30 is the historic konk out year for RBs.

More important to me, is how does LTs t.d. stats bode for SuperBowl appearance and win.

2005 SuperBowl loss.  Shaun Alexander 28. 
2003 lost in Div playoff round (1st game).  Priesty Holmes 27.  KC Chiefs got #1 seed at 13-3, good game vs Indy but key fumble in 50-41 shootout.
2000 SuperB win Marshal Faulk St Louis Dick Vermeil Rams.
1995 SuperB win Emmit Smith
1983 SB loss John Riggins

*2002 Priesty Holmes tied the Riggins record at 24.  Chiefs were only 8-8.

Conclusion.  4 of 5 made the SBowl.  2 won.  So that bodes well for Charger SBowl appearance.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 02:01:49 AM »
Wait a minute.  He's completely right to point out the difference in the number of games.  Forget about the speed and size factor- he was a player from that era.

It's not fair at all to compare what someone set as a mark in a 12 game season to what someone can do in a 16 game one.  Those are two completely separate records for that reason.  The only legitimate way to compare them IS on a points per game basis. 

Blah blah blah Rick.  I just don't get what is so hard to accept.  LT scored more points than Hourning so LT holds the points scored record.
OK he was a player from his era, and the record for points in his era is held by Hourning.  The record for all era's, for POINTS SCORED IN A SEASON is held by LT.  Addition is a pretty basic concept, which seems to be lost on the Notre Dame grad.  How 'bout this PH can also have the most points scored by a regular player who was also a kicker, maybe that will satisfy his ego.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 12:22:47 PM »
I fully agree with Ziggy on this one.  PH is now just starting to sound like a bitter old man.  The guy was also the kicker for God's sake!  How should that factor in to the equation? 

Sure, the game has changed a lot since Paul's day, from the standpoint of the players physical abilities to coaching to the number of games played.  The bottom line is that the NFL is recognizing it in their record books, so it is a new NFL record. 

It's time for Mr. Hourning to shut the heck up and show some class. 

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 12:34:24 PM »
Hornung's history is that of a drunken, gambling, groupie shagger who was still considered a golden boy because of his athletic skills.  He also recently made some bordeline racist comments about how to improve Notre Dame football.  He has no class to show.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 12:45:52 PM »
People people!  If we want to discuss a charachter battle, can't we go Rosie O vs Donald Trump?

I think NFL should acknowledge both records.
LT has point in a season.
Hourning has per game ave.

I also side with Rosie.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 01:24:49 PM »
You side with Rosie!?

Where does she get off saying anything?

It Donald's deal, his business and he has every right to run it the way he thinks it should be.

As for his decision to let the Winner continue her reign, I don't see anything wrong with giving her a second chance.  I certainly enjoyed the second look!  She appeared quite contrite and sincere and Rosie wants to send her packing?

You know what it really is: Jealousy.  Rosie is a fat ugly pig with a big mouth.  Miss Kentucky is a hotty who can get nearly any man she throws herself at.  Donald himself has been through several hotties.  Rosie dates ugly lesbians.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 03:26:09 PM »
ohhh rt!
Rosie is steaming because The Hairpiece did discrown Miss Nevada on similiar charges in recent history.
So The Donald does cut when it suits his fancy, but *forgives* when its a PR bonanza. 

Plus his "I'll sue you" style.  Not outdebate, not rebutt, not overcome, but "I'll sue".  What a puss.  Lawyer in general are a bain on our society.  The wussies who hide behind them are one and the same.

Stand up and fight like a man with Rosie.
I'll give rose 5-3 odds in a wresting match with The Hairpiece.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 10:35:25 PM »
Well, that's a little more information than I had, Reality.

If that's the case, all Rosie needed to do was point out the hypocriscy of Trump.  "Why would you decrown Miss Nevada for such behavior, but not Miss USA!?"

Then Trump would have been left twisting in the wind.

I agree completely with your view of lawyers. A necessary evil, but a real problem at the same time.  Anyone can sue anyone for any reason.  So what?  It's only if you win a judgement that it matters.  What could Trump sue Rosie for? Defamation of Character?  Donald would then face the burden of proving he actually DID have Character!  ;D

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 05:46:01 PM »
Why is impossible to tell a funny lawyer joke?

Because lawyers don't think they're funny, and everybody else doesn't think they're jokes.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2006, 06:25:30 PM »
Okay if the argument stands that playing 12 games and playing 16 games is much different then the argument that the athletic ability and size of players should also stand.  You cannot recoginze one and not the other.  That would not be fair. 
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com