Author Topic: The Jazz will no longer play in the Delta Center .  (Read 1465 times)

Guest_Randy

The Jazz will no longer play in the Delta Center .
« on: November 21, 2006, 12:20:00 PM »
No, they aren't moving -- but Delta has failed to purchase the rights to name the arena -- another company bought the rights to naming the stadium "EnergySolutions Arena" -- the new name.

SALT LAKE CITY -- The Utah Jazz's arena has a new name which is sure to get some notice.

EnergySolutions, a nuclear waste services company based in Salt Lake City, has bought the naming rights to the downtown arena that has been known as the Delta Center since it opened 15 years ago.

Jazz owner Larry Miller said Monday that negotiations with Delta Air Lines to keep the original naming rights in place stalled.

Miller said he was apprehensive at first when approached by EnergySolutions, which runs a radioactive waste disposal facility 75 miles west of Salt Lake City.

"I really think that this is something that does not need to be a controversial topic if people understand what it's about before they just panic and throw their hands in the air when the word nuclear is first used," Miller said after a brief news conference. "As I was able to spend time learning about it, I got much more comfortable with it."

Giant banners with the EnergySolutions logo were hanging outside the arena Monday afternoon. Miller and EnergySolutions chief executive officer Steve Creamer unveiled a new logo on the basketball court, which reads "EnergySolutions Arena."

Creamer wants people to look past the stigma associated with nuclear waste. He said joining more recognizable companies with their names big and bold outside arenas and stadiums throughout the country is a good start.

"We looked at lots of different ideas and when this came available we felt like it was a great opportunity," Creamer said. "We think it's a great way for us to help people feel more comfortable and help our education efforts."

Delta is trying to emerge from bankruptcy. Long before its financial troubles, the airline had a 10-year agreement for the Jazz arena name rights with a 5-year option, which expired Sept. 30.

The two sides couldn't agree on a new deal, so the Jazz started looking at other options. Delta will still advertise in the 19,911-seat arena, but the name and logo will no longer be part of the city's western skyline.

"We were working to re-negotiate a new contract, but in the end we were unable to reach an agreement on naming rights," Delta spokesman Anthony Black said from Atlanta.

Come on, we can find a better name for a company that deals with nuclear waste and disposal!

Let's have a REAL naming contest for the old Delta Center -- see who can come up with the best name.

How about:
   -  Glow in the dark Center (hmm, too long)
   -  Nuclear Jazz Center
   -  Toxic Waste Center!  (they could use this slogan "Come Glow with Us")

Come on, what name can you come up with?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 12:37:58 PM »
I don't think I like the idea of the word Nuclear being anywhere near a russian like AK-47.   Blame it on the cold war and my fear of all things red.   Andre is good enough on the defensive end what if he turned into this with the  new "partnership"

« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 12:38:20 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jn

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 12:40:01 PM »
How about Third Eye Center?  The Horrible Mutation Pavillion?  The Monty Burns Center?  How about the Jazz Are Playing Great Regardless of the Name of the Building Arena?  

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 12:50:23 PM »
How about the Tabernacle Center?

I could never understand selling the naming rights, not that the owners of the stadiums wouldn't want to squeeze every single dime out of the place, but that companies would want their name publicized this way.

Isn't it a risk if the team sucks?  Do you want your companies name associated with a loosing team?

No one does more business with Staples because they now have their name on the arena where the Lakers and Clippers play, and no one made the decision to fly with Delta based on their name being on the arena in Salt Lake.

How about the "Your name Here!" arena.  OR yes, my Company was dumb enough to waste money putting our name on this building for cheap publicity.com

Guest_Randy

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 01:07:42 PM »
I don't think I like the idea of the word Nuclear being anywhere near a russian like AK-47.   Blame it on the cold war and my fear of all things red.   Andre is good enough on the defensive end what if he turned into this with the  new "partnership"

Koast, you get points deducted for failing to name "Omega Red" in your post!

How about the Jazz Are Playing Great Regardless of the Name of the Building Arena?

jn, please don't destroy my fun!  I think this leads to some hilarious names -- I want to start a petition to the Utah Jazz with the best name we can come up with!

jn

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 01:24:27 PM »
Okay Randy, how about The Day After Tomorrow Center?  The Mutual Assured Destruction arena?  The Half Life Center?

Guest_Randy

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 01:40:14 PM »
I like "The Day after Tomorrow Center" -- that's a great one!

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 02:45:23 PM »
On naming rights:  A certain corporation (you'll be able to guess who) is paying the Chicago White Sox half a million dollars to start their games ONE MINUTE later than they have been.  Game time will now be at 7:11.

People pay MONEY for this $#!+ ?  I just don't get it.

Guest_Ted

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 05:11:56 PM »
Funny thing is that Energy Solutions is kind of a hated name around here. They are the money behind the hopefully failed movement to store nuclear tailings on the Goshute Reservation in the West desert.

I can't understand why the Jazz agreed to this.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 05:19:11 PM »
I don't think I like the idea of the word Nuclear being anywhere near a russian like AK-47.   Blame it on the cold war and my fear of all things red.   Andre is good enough on the defensive end what if he turned into this with the  new "partnership"

How about the Jazz Are Playing Great Regardless of the Name of the Building Arena?

jn, please don't destroy my fun!  I think this leads to some hilarious names -- I want to start a petition to the Utah Jazz with the best name we can come up with!
He wouldn't be Omega Red though...he would be Omegadre Redalinko!!!

I like the day after tomorrow center!
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Guest_Randy

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 06:33:46 PM »
I don't think I like the idea of the word Nuclear being anywhere near a russian like AK-47.   Blame it on the cold war and my fear of all things red.   Andre is good enough on the defensive end what if he turned into this with the  new "partnership"

He wouldn't be Omega Red though...he would be Omegadre Redalinko!!!

I like the day after tomorrow center!
Omega Red
Other aliases: None known
Identity: Secret
Occupation:(current) Warrior serving Matsuo Tsurayaba, (former) Special "super-soldier" operative of Soviet intelligence
Citizenship: Russia (formerly USSR) with no known criminal record
Place of birth: Unrevealed location in Russia
Marital status: Unrevealed
Known relatives: None
Base of operations: (current) Unrevealed, presumably bases used by Matsuo Tsurayaba, (former) Moscow, former USSR; East Berlin, former East Germany
Group affiliation: (current) Operative of Matsuo Tsurayaba's renegade faction of the Hand, (former) KGB operative
First appearance: X-MEN (second series) #4

History: Omega Red is a Russian mutant formerly employed as a "super-soldier" by the country known previously as the Soviet Union. He possesses superhuman strength and durability, and has long coils made of carbonadium implanted in his arms which he can project from openings in his wrists to ensnare an opponent. He secretes pheromones that are lethal to other persons and then drains their life forces to sustain his own.

Omega Red currently serves Matsuo Tsurayaba who revived him from suspended animation to capture Wolverine. Omega Red defeated Wolverine and brought him to Tsurayaba. Omega Red had previously battled Wolverine, along with Maverick and Sabretooth, thirty years earlier when this trio tried to rescue double agent Janice Hollenbeck and the carbonadium synthesizer.

Omega Red battled the X-Men and was wounded in combat by Psylocke and then defeated by the X-Men and Maverick, though he still managed to escape. Later, Omega Red battled and fell under the mental control of the Soul Skinner in Siberia. The Soul Skinner then used him to battle Wolverine and the X-Men. Omega Red captured Wolverine and Jubilee but escaped after the Soul Skinner's death.

Omega Red also had a brush with the Generation X team, was defeated by them, and disappeared.

Height: 6 ft. 11 in.
Weight: 425 lbs.
Eyes: Red
Hair: Blonde
Other distinguishing features: Omega Red has chalk-white skin. Implanted within his arms are long coils made of carbonadium, an alloy that resembles adamantium but is more malleable and considerably less resistant to damage. Omega Red can cause the coils to shoot forward from openings in the undersides of his wrists in order to ensnare his victims. He can also use the coils as a conduit for his lethal pheromones.

Strength level: Superhuman Class 10

Fighting skills: Excellent hand-to-hand combatant, with extensive training in unarmed combat by the KGB

Known superhuman powers: Omega Red has the ability to secrete pheromones from his body that will kill people in his immediate vicinity. He can also drain the life forces from these victims in order to sustain his own.

Special limitations: Due to his mutant "death factor" Omega Red must drain the life forces of others in order to remain active. However, if he found the carbonadium synthesizer, he could use it to synthesize carbonadium, the only metal that can neutralize the "death factor," thereby stabilizing it within his body.

Omega Red was absolutely COOL!!!

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 02:10:28 AM »
Okay Randy, how about The Day After Tomorrow Center?  The Mutual Assured Destruction arena?  The Half Life Center?
The Meltdown Center

The Fission Fieldhouse

The Garbage Can

The Dump
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Jazz will no longer play in the Delta Center .
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 03:28:52 PM »
I read somewhere else that the locals are calling it Radium Stadium.  But we would need the resident "local" to verify that.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues