Author Topic: OT: My review of Happy Feet  (Read 1654 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
OT: My review of Happy Feet
« on: November 20, 2006, 02:13:45 PM »
FYI: I don't think we need seperate OT and FNBA boards, we just don't post enough and there aren't that many of us now, or ever really.

Anyway.....

I had really low expectations of Happy Feet, I don't know if that's part of my positive review.  This was not the cutsie-kids-only film I thought it was going to be.  The Music in the move was terrific, every penguin has a "life song" that they use to attract a mate, just like in real life, and they picked some great songs.  They had oldies, pop, rock and even some rap.  Despite not liking the last 10 or so minutes of the flim, overall I highly recommend the movie to anyone.  Some great music, gags and visual effects, this isn't just a kids only film.

You don't have to be rich to be my girl, you don't have to be cool to rule my world, ain't no particular kind I'm more compatible with I just want your extra time and your.........kiiiiiiissssss!!!!

Go see it.  See it now you girlie man!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
OT: My review of Happy Feet
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 02:51:47 PM »
Well I guess it won't be so bad to go see it now.  My girlfriend loves penguins and has been bugging me to go see this movie since the previews started to run.  Lucky for me I've been able to throw in movies like Borat to throw her off course but it maybe coming soon.  At least your review gives me some hope that I won't want to kill myself after the first 30 minutes.

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: OT: My review of Happy Feet
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 07:49:29 PM »
WOW:  From a stranger (italics mine):
"Since last spring, I have been anticipating the debut of Happy Feet. The teaser/trailers for this flick were compelling enough - the scenery was stunning, the animation seemed impeccable and every penguin depicted was obviously designed with personality+ plus. It simply appeared to be a movie that everyone could enjoy - families, kids, adults, etc. The teaser clips that were presented to the public projected scenes of great promise and benign entertainment. Unfortunately, those promises were sadly unfulfilled.

The movie is flawed by an shamefully lame script which seems to be written by some zealous screenwriter who is clearly "unhappy" with certain groups that he/she has targeted. Furthermore, Happy Feet is overwrought with inappropriate (for children) sexual references and religious intolerance. It is also a staunch environmentalist propoganda tool. I suspect though that most desensitized Americans will brush these issues aside because it's more important to get one's fill of mindless warm fuzzies than to fully considered what he or she is being undermined with."

Reaction?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 09:30:48 PM »
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 12:57:17 PM »
W.O.W.,
Even if that person was a member of the Film Actors Guild, I have no idea how they think certain groups were targeted.  Plus they are bashing it as environmentalist.  Film Actors Guild Republics group member whose inheritance comes from oil companies?

Okay my review.  Saw it in DLP.  Very good graphics.  I would like to know in laymans terms how they shot that. Panoramic scenes especially.  BTW i see L.A. has added a dozen or so more DLPs besides the one Chinese joint.

It was a musical.  It was.  You recommended a musical. 

Plot.  Many of the side plots took time much time in relation to film in total.  However all in all it moved along when you might have been about ready to nod off.  Overall plot very good.  Loved the sliding and swimming scenes.  However the herky jerky camera stuff ie when they went thru tunnels is an old schtick best left out.

Climax.  Very good conclusion.  Message that humans can help animals by not screwing up their environment is good.  Also Happys extremely self sacrificing actions in the face of scorn and disbelief.  Also how he saved his girlfriend and eventual mate from harms way by feigning disinterest in her.  Lots of stuffed penguins being sold.

Cell phone overuse experience.  You know the types.  They check their cell 14 times during the movie.  This chick not only did that, but sat in the row directly in front of us.  When theater is 90% empty, which is when i try to go, there is an unwritten rule you leave at least one row in between.  Anyway midway thru as i was turning to Realityett Jr, I completely unexpectedly involuntarily let out a belch of Simpsons Barneyesque proportions.  Occured just as i was aimed at angle of Cellys head.  The aftershock Barney tsunami wavelengths and all.  We laughed so hard and could not stop.  I have not expelled that much trapped air in ages.  I think the popcorn mixed with the pop.  I wanted to stop laughing and apologize to Celly but she ruffled off to get a coke i guess.  We tracked her down afterwords and she said no she was not offended but that her vibrator went off.  That got us laughing all over again.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 01:08:15 PM »
I can't believe how the STUPID masses are buying into the Happy Feet contraversy.

You'd think if you go see Happy Feet the terrorists would win.

Happy Feet is the new Ferenhiet 911.

PS - good spelling is a sign of gov brainwashing!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 03:35:11 PM »
In a word: "fag"

1000% Agree

It would take an insecure, heartless, shameless, bitter, nutjob to describe this movie as subversive in any way.  A heartfelt message that humans maybe do have some small, minute affect on our environment and it isn't always positive --- TERRORIST, YOU FREEDOM-HATING ECO-GUERILLA!!

I saw it yesterday and loved the movie, the music used in conjunction with the animation was very well-done.  There was character development and strong, positive messages throughout the film speaking to environmental excesses and religious intolerance.  If you're expecting light-hearted, feel good fluff this isn't the holiday season animation for your.  This one has a conscience. 

A-
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 03:36:45 PM by Skandery »
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 03:58:57 PM »
Did you guys hear that some money grubbin red blooded men and women have labeled the movie leftist hippy propaganda?  Apparently the movie is suppose to scare children and parents alike into thinking that the lie that Al Gore has been spreading actually has truth behind it.  I personally am tired of tree huggers that worry about future generations when there is money to be made now!
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 04:17:47 PM »
Did you guys hear that some money grubbin red blooded men and women have labeled the movie leftist hippy propaganda?  Apparently the movie is suppose to scare children and parents alike into thinking that the lie that Al Gore has been spreading actually has truth behind it.  I personally am tired of tree huggers that worry about future generations when there is money to be made now!

Most of the complaints have to do with the enviromental message the movie sends (FYI: now they're complaining that the penguins are "gay").  So I'm supposed to believe that a plastic six pack ring will NEVER get caught across an aminals neck, even though I've seen it first hand.  I'm also supposed to believe we are NOT over fishing the ocean, despite HARD evidence that clearly show the amount of fish available in the worlds fisheries is steadily declining and will be exhausted in the next 40 years.  I didn't even think about those two things but now that these "fags" aka "conservative repulicans grasping at straws" are making such a big stink about it, it really hits home.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"