Author Topic: Spurs and Bowen get a phone call . . .  (Read 712 times)

Guest_Randy

Spurs and Bowen get a phone call . . .
« on: November 20, 2006, 05:57:25 PM »
Popovich spoke to star defender Bruce Bowen on Friday after the forward was recently called and warned by Stu Jackson, the NBA's executive vice president of basketball operations, about giving jump shooters enough space to land -- otherwise he could face a fine or suspension.

New York's Steve Francis injured his left ankle on Nov. 6 when he came down on Bowen's foot after a made shot and Knicks coach Isiah Thomas complained to the league about Bowen.

"I had a talk with him about just being Bruce Bowen," Popovich said. "All that stuff is garbage, be who he is. He's the best perimeter defender in the league."

Bowen has said he is committed to sticking with his menacing defensive style.

I'm not sure it's really garbage -- when you put your foot where the player has to come down -- this isn't something that has happened just once -- how many players have suffered from Bowen planting his feet where they need to land?  So far it's only been minor injuries but who knows, it could become something more major in the future.  

Is this really garbage stuff?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 06:22:38 PM »
Popovich spoke to star defender Bruce Bowen on Friday after the forward was recently called and warned by Stu Jackson, the NBA's executive vice president of basketball operations, about giving jump shooters enough space to land -- otherwise he could face a fine or suspension.

New York's Steve Francis injured his left ankle on Nov. 6 when he came down on Bowen's foot after a made shot and Knicks coach Isiah Thomas complained to the league about Bowen.

"I had a talk with him about just being Bruce Bowen," Popovich said. "All that stuff is garbage, be who he is. He's the best perimeter defender in the league."

Bowen has said he is committed to sticking with his menacing defensive style.

I'm not sure it's really garbage -- when you put your foot where the player has to come down -- this isn't something that has happened just once -- how many players have suffered from Bowen planting his feet where they need to land?  So far it's only been minor injuries but who knows, it could become something more major in the future.  

Is this really garbage stuff?
What I don't get about this wuss league is why don't they do the same to him.  You have one guy in Bowen going after several guys in the league with that tatic.  You COULD have several guys going after Bowen with that tatic.  Bowen is strictly a perimeter player so the same should be done to him.  Either he'll get the message or he'll get hurt, either way, problem solved.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 09:56:26 AM »
WayOut just hit the nail on the head.

I don't know about all of you, but I don't know of any perimeter players that jump with their feet together.  There's a bit of separation between the two - easily enough for a foot.  And as I was taught to play defense, if you're guarding the shooter, that's where you place your foot - to prevent him from following his shot.

Mark me down as one who DOES NOT think that this consists of dirty play - unless Bowen is, in fact, TRYING to get the foot under the jumper's foot.

In the past year, I've landed on my friend Todd's foot when he closed out on a jumper.  I'm not upset with Todd;  he did what I'd have done.  I know EXACTLY what he was doing - he was closing space, and preventing me from going for a rebound.  I'd have done the same thing.

This is Isiah Thomas and/or Steve Francis being a baby.  Shame on Isiah.  You can't tell me that he didn't do the same thing in his Detroit days.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 10:48:48 AM »
I do believe Bowen is putting his feet there on purpose.  Not to harm the shooter but because he wants to put as much pressure as possible on the shooter.  That is what tough defenders do.  Granted this has happened to 4-5 people now and I am glad he has been warned.  I fully expect Bowen to adjust and everyone all around will be happy.  I don't think a single player on the Spurs is anything but  classy so I always give them the benefit of the doubt.

IMO it is not garbage, it is something that needed to be said due to the number of times this has happened over the past few years.  I don't think the league is trying to hold Bruce Bowen down like the man.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com