Author Topic: New ball  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
New ball
« on: October 08, 2006, 10:19:48 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2614312

It remains to be seen if the widespread outcry against the new ball will prompt the league office to consider switching back to leather before the regular season opens Oct. 31. But that seems highly unlikely, given the stance shared by NBA commissioner David Stern in Spain on Thursday.

"Every organization plays with a synthetic ball -- high school, college, FIBA and the like -- and so the time of the synthetic ball is here," Stern said of his league.

The chorus of complaints has nonetheless been getting louder by the day since Miami's Shaquille O'Neal ranted against the switch Monday, likening the composite model to "one of those cheap balls that you buy at the toy store."

New Jersey's Vince Carter, Detroit's Rasheed Wallace, Denver's Carmelo Anthony, Washington's Gilbert Arenas, Phoenix's Shawn Marion and the Suns' reigning two-time MVP Steve Nash are among the big names who have since voiced their displeasure with the change.

The most common complaints are that the ball is too sticky when dry and too slippery when it gets wet, much slicker than a wet leather ball.

Miami's Antoine Walker raised another concern earlier this week, saying, "The problem with this ball is that it wears down very easily and that's not good. During the course of a game, if a guy is 10-for-10 in the first half and now you've got to switch to another ball, that makes a difference. We should have stayed with the old ball. It was better. Those old balls last a long time and you could play with them when they got old. These balls, once they get slippery, it's going to be difficult."

Wallace told the Detroit News: "Terrible. I don't know why they did it. The thing that [upsets] me about it is, that's a major part of playing and you can't just change it without getting the players' opinions on the ball before you change it."

Yet much like the dress code instituted by the league last fall and its subsequent decision to ban the compression tights sported by several top players throughout the 2005-06 season, changing the official ball -- according to the current collective bargaining agreement -- is another measure that the NBA has the right to impose unilaterally, without consulting the NBA Players Association.

NBA vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson, promoted from senior vice president of basketball operations to executive vice president in June, defended the new ball Tuesday, insisting that it has a better grip than its predecessor when wet, not worse.

"It's a better ball," Jackson said. "But as a product matter, composite balls are used in every league throughout the world. And they've been used in every level of play over the last 10 years domestically in the NCAA and also in high school."

The composite ball has been used at the past two All-Star Games and was modified by Spalding after the first composites were tested by NBA players in 2005. The league dispatched a new ball to every NBA player over the summer and Jackson estimated in June that "99 percent" of the league's players grew up using only a composite ball.

But that hasn't hushed or even slowed an ongoing flurry of complaints.

"As a kid going up through high school and then college, you dream about playing with that leather NBA basketball," Mavericks swingman Jerry Stackhouse told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "This new ball is the one I played with in the backyard when I was 12.

"Nobody that ever played the game would want to change that ball. Nobody. Not Michael Jordan. Not Dr. J. Nobody."

Spalding, according to Touhey, was prepared for such reactions, knowing that protest is a reflex response to change.

"It takes time," Touhey said. "These guys are professional athletes. They get custom fitted for their shoes. Everything about their lives is about consistency. When you switch out the most important piece of equipment, players are going to be resistant to that.

"But we know it's a better ball, so we're comfortable."

Bulls coach Scott Skiles told the Chicago Sun-Times: "I think it was my sophomore year in college, the Big Ten -- or maybe it was the whole NCAA -- changed balls. Initially, everybody was kind of frowning on it, but within a couple of months, everybody was fine with it. That will probably be the case here."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
New ball
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 03:27:48 PM »
Hi my name is David Stern, the rest of my friends are going to jump off a bridge and I think we should do the same.

A new ball...is there not more important things to change in this league then the ball?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jn

New ball
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 10:12:43 AM »
Shaq and co may be on to something.  From my exerience the new, high quality synthetic balls are slippery when they are new.  Leather balls, especially the NBA ones, are ready to use right out of the box.  The faux leather take a half dozen uses to get into working order.  

I'm not sure about whether the synthetic wears out quicker.  The one I have is holding up nicely after a year of use and I've certainly encountered leather balls the didn't wear well.  If any of you remember the Rawlings RLO balls that came out in the late 80's you may remember that they tended to become rock hard and heavy feeling.  

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
New ball
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 10:27:34 AM »
This is one change I don't really like.  Rubber/Synthetic Balls are fine for the outside- playng on concrete or macadam, where you wouldn't want your GOOD leather ball to get messed up.  But everyone has allways looked at the leather ball as the ultimate in quality and feel.

When your inside playing on a good hardwood court, you want to play with the best ball possible- a leather one!

It's sort of like the difference between using an aluminum bat in the little league compared with using a wood bat in the majors.

The thing about it, is that the players aren't comfortable with it, and there may be issues with it during play.  I'll bet you won't find one player who likes it better.  I can hear the excuses now.  "I just lost control of it,  I've done that move a hundred times with the old ball and that never happened.  I feel like I have to learn how to dribble all over again to deal with the new ball. THIS SUCKS!"

I wonder what is motivating the NBA.  Has Stern become an animal lover or something?  Isn't the leather ball made from feed cows anyway?  Until we all stop eating steak, there's no reason to not continue using a leather ball!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
New ball
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 10:47:01 AM »
Was and is the man made ball used at all World and Olympic games?

Not excusing the losses, but could this realistically have contributed?

I was reading where Scott Skiles said it takes about 2 months to get used to, after that he thinks one adjusts to it.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
New ball
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 11:13:29 AM »
Was and is the man made ball used at all World and Olympic games?

Not excusing the losses, but could this realistically have contributed?

I was reading where Scott Skiles said it takes about 2 months to get used to, after that he thinks one adjusts to it.
I think it could have contributed.  I do not know what they are using but it could be a nice excuse for us to make up for our lack of shooters LOL

Do we want to wait 2 months into the pre and regular season for them to adjust?  I don't!  My team is going to have a hard enough time getting wins!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
New ball
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 12:22:41 PM »
This new ball SUCKS!  Have you guys been watching all the pre-season games?  Anyone notice that their is alot more turnovers and the shooting % are lower then usual?  The ball is suppose to not be slick right?  Well The Kings, Lakers, Suns all will disagree with you.

So much for players adjusting to it after playing with it for a while.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
New ball
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 01:31:06 PM »
Apparently, it was Spalding's idea.  They told the NBA they were having trouble getting the leather in sufficient quantities and quality.

That isn't a problem with a synthetic ball.

It probably saves the NBA some money, and Spalding won't sell so many leather balls, but they probably weren't a great seller anyway.  It's not as though there are lots of people out there with their own hardwood court.

So it was an issue of economics for the supplier.  It won't hurt the league, although they could afford it either way.

As far as the play, there are always more turnovers in preseason and the shooting percentages as typically lower as well.  Besides, it will take more time than this for them to get used to the new ball.

In theory they new balls should be more consitent, and quality will be more easily achived.  

I don't understand why there's a problem for Spalding gettting the leather.  Must be too many people wanting coats.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
New ball
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 03:08:30 PM »
Apparently, it was Spalding's idea.  They told the NBA they were having trouble getting the leather in sufficient quantities and quality.

That isn't a problem with a synthetic ball.

It probably saves the NBA some money, and Spalding won't sell so many leather balls, but they probably weren't a great seller anyway.  It's not as though there are lots of people out there with their own hardwood court.

So it was an issue of economics for the supplier.  It won't hurt the league, although they could afford it either way.

As far as the play, there are always more turnovers in preseason and the shooting percentages as typically lower as well.  Besides, it will take more time than this for them to get used to the new ball.

In theory they new balls should be more consitent, and quality will be more easily achived.  

I don't understand why there's a problem for Spalding gettting the leather.  Must be too many people wanting coats.
I know there is lower shooting % and more turn overs in the pre-season but there has been more then normal.  Even good shooters are having troubles with the ball.  Not just missing shots but missing them BADLY.  Plus the ball doesn't seem to give as friendly bounces anymore.

I dont see why spalding not getting leather is a problem.  I mean you are right, who goes out and buys leather balls anyways?  A small few.  Besides, I see no shortage of leather jackets or leather seats.....why are they having troubles getting leather for balls?