Author Topic: Great Shaq article.....  (Read 2576 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Great Shaq article.....
« on: March 19, 2004, 04:20:09 PM »
Off The Glass
Why isn't Shaq the most dominant O'Neal in the league?
By Paul Forrester, Special to SI.com

A few years back, OTG engaged in a vigorous debate with SI.com's own Jennifer Cooper about the talent of a certain NBA giant named Shaquille O'Neal. Having watched the Daddy plow over helplessly outsized opponents in her SEC stomping grounds, Jennifer was of the opinion that O'Neal was little more than a bully, using his tremendous size advantage to seemingly score at will and control the paint.

Hogwash, said a young(er) OTG; no matter the size, a person must have some level of talent to understand how to use his bulk effectively. The league is littered with the memories of Mark Eaton or Gheorge Muresan, giants who played nice complementary roles but never displayed the game-changing ability of Shaq.

On the debate raged, over the course of days, weeks, months, years, neither one of us giving into the other's argument.

Ms. Cooper, can I change my answer?

Maybe change is too strong a word. Amend might be more appropriate. As dominant as everyone tells us Shaq is, there is something missing, that sense of wow. I'm not looking for a skywalking dunk or a behind-the-back pass. I'm talking about putting up the kind of statistics that create headlines: 40 points for five games in a row or 23-rebound nights, triple doubles in points, rebounds and blocks, things that Shaq just doesn't do.

True, Shaq did do those sorts of things when he came into the league, but OTG has always had the sense that the Daddy didn't have the drive to excel in hoops to his full, monstrous potential.

As the years have added up, Shaq has increasingly picked his spots as to when he wants to dominate. Recall last year when Shaq didn't opt for toe surgery until late in the offseason, guaranteeing him a late start to the regular season.

Or look at his numbers this year: 22 ppg (a career low) and 10.8 rpg. Heck, this season, on a pound-for-pound basis, Shaq isn't even the best O'Neal in the NBA.

Indiana's Jermaine has averaged 20.6 ppg, 10.3 rpg and 2.6 bpg carrying 98 fewer pounds and measuring three inches shorter. Sure, Shaq is hitting nearly 60 percent of his shots, compared to Jermaine's 43 percent, but shouldn't the league's most dominant player, a two-time Finals MVP, own more than one statistical category?

Heck, yes, he should, especially in a season in which injuries to Karl Malone and Kobe Bryant have left the Daddy with no more offensive options than he has had in the past. I understand Shaq tries to preserve himself for the postseason, but he plays on cruise control far too often, a habit that will leave the Lakers without home court in the playoffs' later rounds.

While O'Neal has always been a sometimes indifferent defender, his lack of focus has drifted toward his offensive game lately. How does someone of Shaq's size fail to score 20 points or pull down more than five boards against Jahidi White of the Suns? Samuel Dalembert may show signs of being a solid center for Philly but should a rookie be able to restrain Shaq to 17 points, eight rebounds and a single block? Do you catch my drift? Seventeen, eight and one are fine numbers but the Daddy is capable of so much more, it's a pity he doesn't do more.

By all accounts he cannot be guarded when he wants to get to the hoop. Far too many times, though, he is, and guarded out of relevance for long stretches of games. That's the reason I can write a column like this and be reasonably certain that children will not throw eggs at stately OTG Manor. That's the reason the Lakers need a one-shouldered Kobe Bryant to bail them out in the fourth quarter. And, finally, it's the reason I suspect I may finally have lost that old debate.

link to story

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Great Shaq article.....
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 04:26:05 PM »
Pound for pound?  LOL!  What a dipshyte!

There are no weight divisions in b-ball, what a moron.  Shaq's just not interested or as hungry as he used to be, but come money time in the playoffs there's nobody who can dominate like Shaq.  Last years Fat Albert Shaq was the first time I saw Shaq not able to physically impose his will on a game, this year he's in way better shape so he'll be getting his 4th Playoffs MVP honors.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Great Shaq article.....
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2004, 04:51:17 PM »
I didn't know they would give the MVP to a player whose team will be eliminated in the WCF by the defending champion.   ;)  
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Great Shaq article.....
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2004, 04:57:08 PM »
I didn't know they would give the MVP to a player whose team will be eliminated in the WCF by the defending champion.   ;)
That's gonna be a heard feat for the Spurs to accomplish from their living rooms after they get bounced in round 2.  :ph34r:  
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Great Shaq article.....
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 05:08:03 PM »
I didn't know they would give the MVP to a player whose team will be eliminated in the WCF by the defending champion.   ;)
That's gonna be a heard feat for the Spurs to accomplish from their living rooms after they get bounced in round 2.  :ph34r:
yeah keep the pace makers on stand by WOW...our team is gonna need it..  wehat you gonna do when PJ, Karl, Payton, go into cardiac arrest, and shaq is breathing heavy from his walk to the floor from the locker room....and kobe, well i am sure bowen could just "accidentally tap" his shoulder.....yeah yout got a great shot at winning it all...... ;)  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Great Shaq article.....
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2004, 05:15:34 PM »
yeah keep the pace makers on stand by WOW...our team is gonna need it..  wehat you gonna do when PJ, Karl, Payton, go into cardiac arrest, and shaq is breathing heavy from his walk to the floor from the locker room....and kobe, well i am sure bowen could just "accidentally tap" his shoulder.....yeah yout got a great shot at winning it all...... ;)

Leave the smack talk to Lurker you inbreeder!

"our team" LOL!  :lol:  
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Great Shaq article.....
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2004, 05:45:26 PM »
yeah keep the pace makers on stand by WOW...our team is gonna need it..  wehat you gonna do when PJ, Karl, Payton, go into cardiac arrest, and shaq is breathing heavy from his walk to the floor from the locker room....and kobe, well i am sure bowen could just "accidentally tap" his shoulder.....yeah yout got a great shot at winning it all...... ;)

Leave the smack talk to Lurker you inbreeder!

"our team" LOL!  :lol:
yeah, and "shaq is the MVP" is even more funny.

you scared?  yeah, you scared?   ;)

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
Great Shaq article.....
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2004, 07:09:30 PM »
Umm, it's a little early in the day to be drinking the hard stuff, isn't it?  That's a true sign of a pretty big drinking problem -- and the first sign is admitting that you have a problem.  Go ahead, we've all already admitted that you have a problem.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Great Shaq article.....
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2004, 07:13:23 PM »
I didn't know they would give the MVP to a player whose team will be eliminated in the WCF by the defending champion.   ;)
Umm, it's a little early in the day to be drinking the hard stuff, isn't it?  That's a true sign of a pretty big drinking problem -- and the first sign is admitting that you have a problem.  Go ahead, we've all already admitted that you have a problem.
yeah, I think this is just our natural instinct to talk smack to each other here....for all we know it will be sacto and minnie in the WCF, yet our fanatical instinct kicks in the same time year after year to overtake us.........they could do a "national geographic" special on us...... ;)  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Great Shaq article.....
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2004, 09:48:05 PM »
I didn't know they would give the MVP to a player whose team will be eliminated in the WCF by the defending champion.   ;)
yeah, I think this is just our natural instinct to talk smack to each other here....for all we know it will be sacto and minnie in the WCF, yet our fanatical instinct kicks in the same time year after year to overtake us.........they could do a "national geographic" special on us...... ;)
You switch teams to root for like Jessica Simpson switches clothes......all you Hank Hills are the same  <_<  
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com