Author Topic: Larry Brown to be bought out?  (Read 928 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Larry Brown to be bought out?
« on: May 14, 2006, 04:10:29 PM »
:rofl:  and speculation is that he will coach elsewhere.

What is this guy, the money magnet?
His much younger wife is certainly accomplishing her goals, if they were gold.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 08:41:57 PM »
If this wasn't so sick and twisted, it would be funny!

"I am loyal to winning and I am not loyal to any singular individual," Thomas said then. "I'm going to do what I need to do to make our team better. ...

What's he going to do?  

PG - Stephon Marbury, Stevie Frances -- it's NOT like anyone is going to trade for one of these players.  They are making WAY too much money and unless the Knicks are going to take junk in return, I just don't see anyone stupid enough to take these guys.  Robinson is the one bright spot in the backcourt, IMO, but it is way too early to determine if this guy is going to be anything other than a solid role player with hops.  Oh, and you have TWO players who don't play defense here -- Frances ($15 mill per year for 3 more years) doesn't like to and Marbury ($18 mill for 3 more years) is allergic to it!

SG - Crawford, Quentin Richardson (and sometimes Marbury or Frances).  Hmm, guys that are overpaid for their services seeing than neither likes defense and shooting guards are a dime a dozen in this league.  Both make around $7 mill a year -- way overpaid for what they bring to the table (which is basically the ability to get streaky in shooting).

SF - Jalen Rose (Woods, Lee) -- Rose is making $17 mill next year (the last year of his contract).  While Isaiah MIGHT have a piece to work with here next year (expiring contract) -- you just have to wonder who wants a headcase on their team for even a partial season.  Anyone think that Rose can get any references from previous teams?

PF - Channing Frye, Malik Rose, Maurice Taylor -- Channing Frye is probably the one truly bright spot on this dismal team.  And he needs a LOT of maturing and work in order to be a great player.  Frye is cheap for the next couple of years and he is truly their best trade bait (but also their best building block).  Rose is overpaid and helps the Knicks very little -- making around $7 mill for each of the next two years to sit next to Jerome James on the bench.  Taylor has an expiring contract worth almost $10 mill -- perhaps a trade incentive as well.

C - Curry, James -- Curry is in his last year here -- can the Knicks resign him?  He would have to settle for some kind of exemption because the Knicks are wayyy over the cap.  James saw almost ZERO playing time last year -- and the Sonics are STILL laughing at Zeke for how much they overpaid James!

If I were Brown, I'd consider paying Dolan to buy my way out of this coaching job to go ANYWHERE else!!!  Heck, the Raptors look like a better coaching job than the Knicks!  I'd take a cheaper buy out and run -- fast!!!  

Zeke hasn't made ONE trade yet that makes any sense!!!  And most of his trades continue to keep his organization way over the cap so it ensures the lack of being able to lure quality free agents.  

Hmm, anyone around here beginning to think that Zeke is posting around here as "reality?"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 09:57:52 AM »
May 14, 2006 -- HOOP DU JOUR AMONG the "celebrities" who ambled over to Lincoln Center to watch David Blaine immerse himself in a water bubble was Isiah Thomas. If anybody can appreciate someone who stands around the West Side doing nothing, it's the Knicks president.
Then again, should information from a high-level team source prove precise, I'll be forced to wolf those words.

According to that Knicks hearing aide, Thomas suddenly has a plan; who cares if it's borrowed from his bosses? From what I'm told, Cablevision boss James Dolan and Garden President Steve Mills are endorsing the buyout of Larry Brown's remaining $44 million, four-year obligation, and strongly urging Thomas to take over as head coach, a position he held for three years with the Pacers.

That's one way, I guess, of holding Thomas accountable. Since replacing Scott Layden 21/2 seasons ago, he's assembled and re-assembled the roster.

Presumably, he thinks his chosen ones can play more than a lick.

Presumably, he still likes most, contrary to Brown, who loathes most, none more than Stephon Marbury, Isiah's poisonous pet who recoils on orders. That's why Stephon didn't make his season-ending speech to the media, as threatened; his cult figure commanded him to holster his fangs.

Presumably, Thomas will be able to extract more energy, caring and loyalty from his recruits than a drill instructor who habitually rags them in public. Marbury won't exactly be the only player celebrating, should Brown be bounced.

The way I hear it, Thomas is positive the Knicks will improve appreciably with him in charge. He's confident a tweak here, a tweak there, and his talent pool's win total will soar from 23 to close to break even.

For months, the piqued, the turned off and the tuned out have advocated the deportation of Mills, Thomas, Brown and Marbury, altogether aware it would never remotely happen in its entirety during this off-season or, considering their bloated contracts, in seasons to come.

Convincing Dolan to extinguish himself is a more practical prospect. You can't as much as tempt him to sell his family cable company and all its accoutrements; it's not like people haven't made the effort.

"The only way to get the Knicks out of Dolan's clutches," groans the above-mentioned insider, someone who's been there, tried that, "is to pry it from his cold hands." At the very least (at best, in other words), the popular rumination by those lost in a daydream is that even Dolan, Mills and Thomas must recognize that Brown and Marbury cannot return for another venomous go-around.

One pollutant or the other - hopefully both - must be eradicated before next season's projected mediocre presentation is too far gone to resuscitate.

Unless Brown's health issues - and advantageous insurance clauses - compel him to split, that would have seemed to leave Marbury as the odd man out. Judging by quotes from Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor, it's not unreasonable to visualize a trade to re-acquire Kevin Garnett's former kindergarten playmate.

That was the common-held belief. Yet, we figured wrong.

Presumably, that means more than the firing/expiring of Joe Favorito, so far the sorry season's lone casualty . . . though I often suspected the veteran Madison Square Garden publicity man was responsible for a lot of the Knicks' problems.

My next 10 thoughts, exhumed from the cracks in my cranium re: Thomas coaching the Knicks:

1. I like it. Why ask your overpaid, underperforming figurines to tune out two different overpaid, underperforming figureheads when you can eliminate the middle man and pass the savings on to no one.

2. What size gurney does Thomas take?

3. Let's see if I get this: Thomas, an abject failure in one job - president of basketball operations - is given additional duties. Who's running Camp Cablevision? Howard Dean?

4. Did Anucha Browne Sanders sign off on this?

5. How long will it take Thomas and Marbury to fall out of love?

6. Is this the Knicks' way of offering to serve St. John's probation?

7. What happens to Next Town Brown? Has someone considered his feelings? I mean, the guy's been about nothing but stability for three decades. This might very well be a shock to his system.

8. Where are poll numbers worse - 2 Pennsylvania Plaza or 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue?

9. I smell a Maloof.

10. Someone tell Next Town, if he makes this racial, there's a job opening at Power 105.1.

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 05:12:34 AM »
NEW YORK - Larry Brown and the        New York Knicks reached a settlement on the remainder of the fired coach's contract Monday night, a week before NBA commissioner David Stern was expected to rule on the dispute.

"At my request, the New York Knicks and Larry Brown have agreed to a compromise resolution of the dispute between them," Stern said in a statement. "Neither the club nor Larry have any future obligation to each other and have assured me, in response to my direction and request, that there will be no further public discussion of the matter."

Terms of the settlement were not disclosed.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 10:04:35 AM »
Also it should be noted...based on Randy's post...that Jalen Rose was waived by the Knicks.  
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 11:11:30 AM »
Also it should be noted...based on Randy's post...that Jalen Rose was waived by the Knicks.
There goes the championship  :rolleyes:  
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Guest_Randy

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 08:14:51 PM »
In the most exciting move in the off-season, the Knicks waive Jalen Rose.  Now if the team would just do the same with Jerome James and Zeke!

Hmm, which has Zeke done a worse job of managing?  The CBA or the Knicks?