Author Topic: Some hope for the Clips  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Some hope for the Clips
« on: March 26, 2006, 10:21:39 AM »
After previously asking Corey MeGetty where, how often, and how intensly he would like his arse kissed, Mike Dunleavy is now giving hope to Clips watchers that winning may actually really be the goal again in Clipperville:

Cuttino Mobley was scratched because of a sprained right ankle, forcing the Clippers to use their 14th different starting lineup. Corey Maggette made his first start at small forward since Dec. 5 and scored 19 points in 32 minutes.

Maggette had come off the bench in 11 consecutive games after being sidelined for the previous 39 because of a separated ligament in his left foot. He complained to reporters at Friday's practice about not starting and playing limited minutes behind Quinton Ross.

"I knew it was coming," Dunleavy said. "We've had a little disagreement, based on readiness. I think a sign that he's ready would be if he's shooting the ball better from the outside, where he has his legs. He still attacks the rim and does some good things, but he's only shooting 25 percent from the 3-point line -- so further out is where he struggles.  "It's my judgment call," Dunleavy added. "It's all about the team right now, and I'm going to play the guys who I think are going to help us win the most right now. So the first thing I want to see from him is a better defensive effort and the ability to keep people in front of him. He did OK tonight, but a couple of games on the road trip, I didn't think he did so great."  

Bing bing.  Way to go Dunleavy.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Some hope for the Clips
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 01:25:15 PM »
Why does Magette care so much about minutes right now when the team is about to finish off one of their best regular seasons in franchise history?   The Clippers will make the playoffs regardless but you want some real good momentum going into that first round.  Playing guys just to play em will not give you that and props to Dunleavy for putting his foot down.

What part of "You get more playing time when you work harder and play more effectively" do these basketball players not understand?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Some hope for the Clips
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 02:17:52 PM »
Why does Magette care so much about minutes right now when the team is about to finish off one of their best regular seasons in franchise history?  

What part of "You get more playing time when you work harder and play more effectively" do these basketball players not understand?
I don't think MEGetty gives a hoot how the Clippers do win/loss and playoffwise.

If he could put up bigger numbers on a losing non playoff Clip team he would love that.

This is hardly the first time this season he has wimped about his role.
http://www.phillyarena.net/forums/index.ph...2536&hl=magette

Guest_Randy

Some hope for the Clips
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 02:26:04 PM »
Maggette is a paler version of VC -- good offense, major ego and no defense!  He has everything VC does except his offensive game isn't as good -- the Clips would be far better off without him, IMO.  Trade for a draft pick or a PG -- if past history holds, next year will be Sam's "headcase" year!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Some hope for the Clips
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 08:58:58 PM »
Why does Magette care so much about minutes right now when the team is about to finish off one of their best regular seasons in franchise history? 

I don't think MEGetty gives a hoot how the Clippers do win/loss and playoffwise.

If he could put up bigger numbers on a losing non playoff Clip team he would love that.

This is hardly the first time this season he has wimped about his role.
http://www.phillyarena.net/forums/index.ph...2536&hl=magette
Am I alone in thinking he should be sitting there saying "I am not getting alot of playing time but I do whatever I am asked to make sure this team continues the great season it has had so far" ???

Honestly, he is not that good.  He is not bad but it's not like the Clippers are do or die without him.  If Brand was complaining about minutes that would be one thing but at this point Magette is Catino Mobley status.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jn

Some hope for the Clips
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 04:51:32 PM »
The NBA has a special breed of whiner, the guy who whines when things are going WELL.  Steve Aschburner, the Wolves beat writer for the Mpls paper, did a nice piece on Wolves players who've done that.  Gary Trent was the best example.  He would wait until the team was on a big winning streak and then go off and try and torch the chemistry.  Tshicizspilli (does he even deserve to have his name spelled correctly? No sir.) did that early this year when the Wolves had won 5 straight.

Apparently Maggette is the Clippers version.