Author Topic: Can/Will Nash be another Johny Stockton  (Read 785 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Can/Will Nash be another Johny Stockton
« on: March 17, 2006, 04:56:25 PM »
In the ongoing AStoud injury saga, one of the thoughts is Phx should go for the title now, while all the pieces are in place.  In other words since Nash is 32, maybe factor that in as to whether or not AStoud should try to play in the 2006 playoffs.

Okay well that is becoming less of an issue as it appears AStouds knee(s) are whacked and leanings as of today are he will not play in 2006 post season.

But it brings up the point, how much longer can Nash perform?
When he signed with Phx, most (all?) of us thought Phx wayy overpaid.  Nash was good, we reasoned, but surely not top tier top dollar signable.   We did not diss Cuban for failing to match Phxs big bucks.   In retro, wow what a year Nash had last season and what a season so far this year.  He is indeed top 20 NBA and certainly in the top of point guards.  Some might say the top.  Whatever, I'm not wanting a thread on whether or not he is the top point guard.

What i want to know is, can and will Nash continue to be at or near the top NBA point guards up until age 40?  Like Johny Stockton did.

I think he can.  Will he?  He has had some injuries that kept him out of games, both last year and this.  While none of us knows what his future injuries will or will not be, what is your take as to Nash continuing top tier until 40?  

guest-koast

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 06:15:43 PM »
Well first of all John Stockton was 5x the defender Nash currently is.  He also was one of the best at using vet moves to either frustrate the person he was guarding or get them into foul trouble.  The side of the game Nash will never see Stockton on.  Just too late in his career for him to all the sudden be a better defender.

Second, I believe that Stockton was in better shape than Nash is at this point.  That really makes all the difference in terms of them continuing to be a top team in the league.  Stockton was able to play deep into his 30s, not sure if Nash can do the same thing.  Not that Nash is badly out of shape but Stockton was a known gym rat.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 06:24:41 PM »
Genetics.  Stockton may also simply have better genetics then Nash.

Karl Malone, for all his  :hail: workout regimines*, must also have completely blessed genetics.  

*an inspiration to any wheezers thinking it is too late to buff up.

An 8 year run with AStoud -or not- will also factor into how long Nash lasts IMO.

guest-koast

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 06:28:59 PM »
Genetics.  Stockton may also simply have better genetics then Nash.

Karl Malone, for all his  :hail: workout regimines*, must also have completely blessed genetics.  

*an inspiration to any wheezers thinking it is too late to buff up.

An 8 year run with AStoud -or not- will also factor into how long Nash lasts IMO.
Genetics, luck, or work ethic.  Probably a nice combination of all three.  You have to be just as lucky as you are a hard worker to go pretty much injury free for as many seasons as he did.

I agree if he stays with Amare he could get close to John Stockton status.  IMO I just feel like there won't ever be a player as good as him in the league again.  Thought Kidd could be that guy but injuries really slowed him down and of course he never had a Malone or Stoudamire.

You also have to look at if Amare is able to stay healthy for the next 5-6-7 seasons too.  John wouldn't have posted the same numbers if Malone wasn't there in every game with him.